The Student Room Group

A Level students- Did you expect the GCSE results you got?

Scroll to see replies

yep, thought I had utterly failed business studies, was expecting a B at the highest by some miracle, but ended up with an A* :smile:
Tbh I got exactly what i predicted. I didn't bother revising for english literature, went into the exam with 0 quotes, wrote 2-3 pages in the exam (average is 10-12) and got my lowest grade in it (A). The rest were A*s which I pretty much predicted.
Reply 82
I expected all my results to be the way they were otherwise I was going to spend too long worrying, so I left it to fate and tried to enjoy the long summer. I was pleasantly surprised when I finally saw them on paper, although one A* turned into an A and I'm most DEFINITELY not complaining. :tongue: I guess the bigger nice surprise was the UMS because it was better than I expected as well. :biggrin:

For the record, my friend spent GCSEs working at a grade C/D for English Lang. and Lit. and came out with an A in Lit. and a B in Language. :smile:
Another friend was predicted C in History and got A*.

It all changes when you're not worrying, I understand it though. GOOD LUCK :biggrin: :party2:
Got what I expected really :smile: Although when I opened my results and just saw "Spanish writing - D, Overall - B" I actually cried. It was one of my best subjects and was expecting an A* and my teacher had said my writing was an A* anyway! Turned out everyone at my school had been ridiculously undermarked so I got it remarked and got an A overall :smile:
My school predicted me 10 Bs based on an aptitude test but I ended up getting 8 A*s and 2 A grades. I was expecting around that result, certainly didn't think school's prediction would come true!
I generally did better than I was expecting which made for a very happy results day :h:

now if only that'll be the case for AS too :afraid:
My school was really disorganized when it came to history. They didn't complete the syllabus on time and we had to study a third of warfare at home. If you do history, you'll understand how insane that is. My teacher forgot to tell our class that the rest of the syllabus was on the internet. Thank god I had found it two weeks before the exam. We hadn't even done past papers together, there was absolutely no time. I was cramming like crazy for days and I didn't sleep the day before the exam. Yeah I know, that's a really bad thing to do, but I'm really bad at memorizing history and facts and dates kept slipping out of my head.

The next day I was crying outside the exam room and was seriously considering skipping the exam and doing it in january instead. I just wasn't ready and needed private lessons pronto. But the teacher called me in and I had to do it.

In August, I was crying with happiness because I got an A*. I normally get B in history, so it was an absolute miracle for me. But still, I didn't take it as an A level, no way. =)

And overall, I wasn't expecting a lot of A*s, even though that was my wish since I worked hard. I'm glad it finally paid off in the end.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah pretty much. I got 2A*s, 3A's and four B's. I thought I would get the A*'s in History and Maths because I really wanted them and worked very hard for it, and I kind of expected the other grades based on how much work I'd put in for each one.
I got A in Lang, B in Lit, C in Maths and a mixture of C's and D's in everything else (History,Psychology,ICT etc..). This was deserved because I was a lazy bugger and I skived so much. I only got the A and B in my Englishes because it's naturally my best subject.

Still got onto my A-Level courses and for AS year got A in Sociology, B in English Language, 1 pesky mark off an A in Health and Social care and D in Psychology (Okay..I hated it). Getting my full A-Level results on Thursday.

I managed to pull it up that bit for A-Levels because I just got stupidly organised. Cleared out my room and organised my desk, prioritised tasks, used sticky notes and wrote lists and all sorts of stuff to stay on track of things, got my textbooks as soon as possible and all that.

Good luck to everyone waiting on results. Due to personal circumstances I am staying on an extra year at college and doing an extra A-Level, so the fact that I can resit any subjects I miserably fail is making me a bit less nervous.
Given how modular many of the subjects are, lots of yr11 students will have a very good idea as to how they will do in a number of their subjects. For example my yr11s for science pretty much know their likely grade, or are sitting near a boundary so might get an A or a B, i've even got students sitting on mid-Bs already without even sitting the final exam.

For subjects where it's still pretty terminal, it's a lot more in the air. I remember thinking i'd flunked my english GCSEs and got reasonable Bs.

You make know how you felt the exam went, but that's massively subjective. It also doesn't take into account what the grade boundaries might be.
Pretty much got what I expected, especially for modular subjects.

Only two which really surprised me were Music and RS (only half a GCSE, but still)
Had shocking music teachers, my year 10 teacher screwed up our coursework so we had to redo it in year 11. My year 11 teacher told me I'd got an A* average for coursework...turns out I got a high B. If I'd she had marked it so high I could have done more :mad:
So came out with a B in music which is pretty annoying (pr of getting A/A* otherwise)

RS was compulsory at my school (half a gcse) did a mock and got one mark off A* without revision. Came to the exam, didn't read the instructions properly and tried to answer all SIX questions instead of four... ran out of time and ended up with a D :O

Pretty happy with my other results 6A*s, 4As but I know I could have got that up to 8/9 A*s if I'd revised for my bad subjects..

Remember A levels are a hell of a lot harder, its easy to come out of GCSEs with good grades with minimal effort. Not quite the case for A levels.
Good luck! Lots of people were presently surprised with their results :biggrin:
I did worse, I was predicted 9A* so i got cocky and didnt revise much :frown:

AND MY BLOOMING TEACHERS!!!!!

My geography teacher said my coursework was A* so i was expecting A* overall but i got a B in the coursework so overall i got an A.

My history teacher said my coursework was really good (I took this as A* standard as he should have known that was what i was aiming for) so I was expecting A* overall but i got a C in the coursework so an A overall.

4.5A* 4.5A 1B was quite disappointing, stupid cocky self :facepalm:
Reply 92
I've just finished year 10, so all I've done so far is some English, German and Music coursework, and my core science GCSE (but I don't know my final grade for that until the 23rd).

During a lot of the English coursework I did I was struggling very badly with depression so I thought I would have done terribly, yet I still came out with A*s and As. At the beginning of the year I was predicted a D in music, and after doing the composition and performance assessments at the end of the year I got a B in both, as well as getting the highest mark in my class on a practise listening paper. On my science ISA I got 50% in the first one (about a D) but almost everyone did terribly in that because none of my teachers knew what they were doing, then when we did the second one I was very ill with the flu and could barely write, let alone think about what I was writing, however I ended up getting 80% (probably a low A grade).

The point being, teachers often underestimate you, and you often underestimate yourself when it comes to exams.
I thought I'd done badly in the Sciences because I didn't do enough revision.
To be fair, most people think they've done worse than they actually have :smile: I did a lot better in everything than I expected.
I was convinced I'd screwed up my GCSEs so it was definitely a nice surprise on results day! Probably the biggest surprise was managing to get an A* in GCSE Drama; our teachers had spent two years telling us how rare it was as apparently you had to get 97%, but at least 60% of the year managed to get it! I was so happy :')

Another was the last exam result in GCSE Geography; I was absolutely convinced I'd gotten a low B or high C in the exam because I'd gone completely off the point in most of the essays, but I came out with full marks. Still no idea how that happened.

Though I did think I'd done enough to get an A* in Maths as I'd revised so much for the exams, but ended up being two marks off. I normally count up 'definite' and 'iffy' marks in exams so when the grade boundaries were released a few days before I thought I'd scraped it, but no! Got it remarked, but it didn't change :frown: It just shows you can never really guess how you did, so don't worry about it, it's a waste of energy! Just take it when it comes and know that you worked to the best of your ability. (If you didn't, step it up for A level :wink:)
some yes, some no, but overall its also how you perform on the day, as you can have a good or bad day, the more you prepare the more likely you wont mess up, but it can happen -silly mistakes
Reply 96
In GCSEs I got 2A*s, 8As and a B.

A* - maths (totally expected :P), science (I was shocked to say the least, ahah)
A - english lang, lit, history, german, ict (btec worth 2 grades), media, music
B - RE (surprised myself, I was expecting a C at best)

Honestly, GCSEs aren't the end of the world, they're more of a means of accessing A levels, so if you get to results day next week and don't get results as good as what you hoped for then don't worry. Everyone seems to get a kick up the backside during A levels anyway when they realise that GCSEs were easy in comparison...
I expected my maths grade and quite a few others. RE was the most shocking though - I got d's and e's all year and ended up with an A :eek:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E10i
Reply 98
I predicted most of my grades but I thought I would get B's in Eng Lang and Eng Lit as I have always been poor at those subjects and I got B's and low A's in coursework...
But ended up with A and A*
I was expecting very low grades in English language and literature because I got low marks on mocks, but I did have a low A on my coursework.

Massive suprise on results day!

I wanted to open my results in the car with my mum, but my teacher said, "well done for your grades you have to go and get your picture taken for the newspaper." Totally ruined the suprise for me!

Quick Reply

Latest