The Student Room Group

Why are GCSE results important to University's?

The course I'm looking to study requires Grade B in two sciences. I only ever did one science.

Say I got low grades in GCSE's but then high grades in A-Levels.. I don't understand why GCSE's are then relevant?

Appreciate any input.
Usually GCSEs are only important when they are set as minimum requirements - and represent the basic foundations of knowledge you need to succeed in a course (usually English language and maths but for some courses, science).

As I understand it the UK national curriculum requires you take all three sciences at GCSE - either through the double award combined science, or as three separate subjects. It's unusual to take just one or two individual sciences at GCSE. As such I would anticipate a requirement for two sciences at grade B would be an expectation that you have covered a basic breadth in the sciences for the course even if you haven't done all three sciences at A-level.

That said some courses do consider your overall GCSE grade profile - Oxford for many courses does this, and LSE for some, for example.
Original post by Munky182
The course I'm looking to study requires Grade B in two sciences. I only ever did one science.

Say I got low grades in GCSE's but then high grades in A-Levels.. I don't understand why GCSE's are then relevant?

Appreciate any input.

Hey @Munky182 👋

Which course are you looking to apply for?

Some universities have very competitive degrees with a high volume of applicants each year. GCSE results are taken into account to assess an applicant in more depth.

They may get 300+ applicants who achieved the same grades at A Level so they also look at your GCSE results to help shortlist applicants. Basically your A Levels are the first thing they look for but if everyone has very high grades they need another perspective for assessment.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 3
Many Universities use GCSEs as an 'indication of future performance' and also as a way of sorting out applicants with the same or similar A level etc predictions.

For this course, are science A levels required ?
As above - it would be unusual for an England/Wales/NI student to have a single science GCSE - you'd normally have either a double grade from combined science or individual grades in the 3 core sciences.

Appreciate any input.

Where there is a specific GCSE requirement the university believes that is necessary to complete the course. Most commonly science GCSEs are requested for science based subjects including Psychology. Where a university states this it will be an automatic rejection without it. Can you not sit a further GCSE tis year alongside your A levels as this would solve the problem.
Reply 6

Appreciate any input.

While it's true that your A-Level grades are typically more relevant when applying for university courses, GCSE grades can still be important in some cases. They provide a foundation for your academic performance and can be used as an indicator of your potential, especially if you didn't take the required subjects at A-Level. Additionally, some universities may consider both GCSE and A-Level grades when making admission decisions. It's always best to check the specific entry requirements of the course and university you're interested in to understand their criteria fully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending