The Student Room Group

2013 Uni Applications Help!!

Hi everyone! I'm currently finishing the first year of IB, and thinking about my university applications. I'm predicted 43/44 points, and I want to study Economics and Geography. I really wanted to apply to Oxford or Cambridge (which I would apply to a Geography course), and Geography with Economics at UCL and Edinburgh, Economics with International Development at Bath, and unsure whether to apply to St Andrews or LSE.. What do you think about these choices? And which of the two, LSE or St. A, should I choose? I would really appreciate your opinions! Thank youu
Reply 1
You've picked quite competitive places. However, you're not guaranteed to get offers, so do you have another plan for if you don't? Most people apply to one or two unis with lower requirements, or you could look into [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki] or Clearing.

Also, you will have difficulty writing a personal statement that covers that range of courses. If your personal statement isn't completely focused on the subject the unis will know this and question your motivation and so you're less likely to get an offer. It would be a very risky strategy.
Reply 2
Original post by mp1995
Hi everyone! I'm currently finishing the first year of IB, and thinking about my university applications. I'm predicted 43/44 points, and I want to study Economics and Geography. I really wanted to apply to Oxford or Cambridge (which I would apply to a Geography course), and Geography with Economics at UCL and Edinburgh, Economics with International Development at Bath, and unsure whether to apply to St Andrews or LSE.. What do you think about these choices? And which of the two, LSE or St. A, should I choose? I would really appreciate your opinions! Thank youu

I graduated from the University of Bath last year in Politics with International Relations, and having done numerous units in Economics and International Development can personally recommend this course.

Like Juno, however, I do think it is worth applying to similar courses so that your personal statement makes sense and seems genuine. Geography and economics are very different courses and you make it less likely to get accepted if you apply to both.

Have a good think about which area you are most passionate about, then apply to that.

Final comment, again agreeing with Juno, it is always a good idea to apply to one "back-up" uni just incase for some reason your grades don't come out as expected. This can still be a top-level uni, just with slightly lower entry requirements!
Reply 3
Ups, sorry I don't think I made myself clear! I'm applying for an Economics with Geography course, which combines both Economics and Geography into one course. Isn't Edinburgh a safe choice however? Or is it still very competitive?
Reply 4
Original post by mp1995
Ups, sorry I don't think I made myself clear! I'm applying for an Economics with Geography course, which combines both Economics and Geography into one course. Isn't Edinburgh a safe choice however? Or is it still very competitive?

Now you've just contraidcted yourself. Your original post says you're thinking of applying for:

Straight geography at oxford or cambridge
Geography with Economics at UCL and Edinburgh
Economics with International Development at Bath

That's 3 different courses. Even if I've misunderstood the Oxbridge choice, it's still 2 courses.
Original post by mp1995
x

There is a big difference between straight geoggers and combined. People suggest splitting your personal statement 50/50 between subjects when you apply to joint honours courses so the economics part may look out of place on your Oxbridge application.

With Cambridge (not sure about Oxford) you submit a SAQ where you can submit an additional personal statement which you tailor to their course (so you can talk about things relevant to their modules, etc). Oh and out of interest, have you considered Land Economy at Cambridge?
Reply 6
Actually I am reconsidering Land Economy since I think it has more of a multidisciplinary link to it and would fit my personal statement. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending