The Student Room Group

Which uni?

My predicted grades are AAA in advanced higher maths,physics,chemistry so which unis in uk you think I should apply to?
(edited 11 years ago)
While I'm not particularly familiar with the scottish qualifications, just looking through UCAS, some of the top one's seem to be open to you...
I'm guessing here that you can't do further maths for advanced higher?
Anyway - if you were to do some STEP - Then Cambridge + Warwick would be quite possible, I guess.
And if I'm right with that ^^ Then I guess you're open to most universities you like the look of.
Though that said - I have just noticed on the oxford requirements that they recommend Further Maths? http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QjIo5qOLB3uJPxM5u06D_WSkDpDGA-4WHw/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=1152776#ER-B Unless that's just UCAS being stupid :P
Reply 2
I got A*AC in maths, accounting and physics.
I currently study Mathematics BSc at Swansea University, and tbh I don't think you'd have many problems getting in to any uni with your grades. Further maths isn't necessary and I've felt no disadvantage having not taken it.

Having further maths means you might only need a B grade for it for some courses. But seeing as you have AAA, you'd easily get in to any university studying mathematics, physics or chemistry anyway!

So just try pick the best uni based on course rankings on the Guardian uni guide, but also take in to account the student experience, the area, convenience etc. Remember not to fuss over the rankings too much.

Good luck.
Reply 3
High Maths Scottish is the same as English further maths I believe?

Consider:

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial College
Warwick
Bath
Durham
Bristol
And look on UCAS to see others.
Reply 4
Original post by Tomcrease

Rather simple interpretation of how the system works. At Advanced Higher, there are 2 maths subjects: maths and applied maths. In the applied option you can either do mechanics or statistics but not that many schools offer applied anyway. Maths is much more common and involves most of the "pure" content covered in A level and some of the stuff in further maths. Also AAA at AH is basically the "best" you can do under the normal system in Scotland. Schools will not tend to let people do more than 3 AHs in one year as the workload is seen as to great.
Reply 5
Original post by Tomcrease

Consider:

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial College
Warwick
Bath
Durham
Bristol
And look on UCAS to see others.

What about LSE? And how any unis can you apply to?
Reply 6
Scottish unis? Take 4 years and avoid the fees.

Anyway you apply for upto 5 courses on the ucas form.
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
Scottish unis? Take 4 years and avoid the fees.

Anyway you apply for upto 5 courses on the ucas form.

What if you are British?
Reply 8
Original post by koolkate
What if you are British?

Depends if you're British and living in scotland... which I'd assumed you were from the scottish qualifications
Reply 9
What if you are British?

If you've lived in Scotland for the 3 years before your course begins you don't have to pay tuition fees
Reply 10
Original post by KCosmo
If you've lived in Scotland for the 3 years before your course begins you don't have to pay tuition fees

Well i moved here end of 2nd year and now I am starting 5th year so do i have to pay or not?
Reply 11
Well i moved here end of 2nd year and now I am starting 5th year so do i have to pay or not?

Think about doing well in your highers first before you even consider that you should be getting AAA at AH; its pretty damn rare. Also, you will get your fees paid for you if you go to a Scottish university. Plus most English universities will want at least AAB at AH which is really alot to ask for.
Reply 12
Original post by qno2
Rather simple interpretation of how the system works. At Advanced Higher, there are 2 maths subjects: maths and applied maths. In the applied option you can either do mechanics or statistics but not that many schools offer applied anyway. Maths is much more common and involves most of the "pure" content covered in A level and some of the stuff in further maths. Also AAA at AH is basically the "best" you can do under the normal system in Scotland. Schools will not tend to let people do more than 3 AHs in one year as the workload is seen as to great.

Thanks :biggrin: I honestly had no idea how the system worked.

What about LSE? And how any unis can you apply to?

LSE doesn't do straight maths I don't think. Look at it for maths and economics or maths and finance. I wasn't sure what you were looking to do :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by qno2
Think about doing well in your highers first before you even consider that you should be getting AAA at AH; its pretty damn rare. Also, you will get your fees paid for you if you go to a Scottish university. Plus most English universities will want at least AAB at AH which is really alot to ask for.

But it's not impossible and I am going to study really hard :smile: BTW I meant 6th year not 5th
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest