The Student Room Group

8 year old qualifications

I want to apply to uni for September 2024. Will unis accept these qualifications? They meet the entry requirements but I've worked since. Im afraid they won't consider my application but I have looked at the mature requirements for a lot if unis and they don't say qualification time limits. Any help would be amazing.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Timara
I want to apply to uni for September 2024. Will unis accept these qualifications? They meet the entry requirements but I've worked since. Im afraid they won't consider my application but I have looked at the mature requirements for a lot if unis and they don't say qualification time limits. Any help would be amazing.

It depends on the specific uni. I would contact the undergrad admissions of the specific unis to confirm.

Some of the more competitive unis would only limit this to 2 years. Some 5. Some don't care. It's difficult to say without you contacting the uni yourself.

If they are timed out and you're applying for a top end uni, consider resitting the exams.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
It depends on the specific uni. I would contact the undergrad admissions of the specific unis to confirm.

Some of the more competitive unis would only limit this to 2 years. Some 5. Some don't care. It's difficult to say without you contacting the uni yourself.

If they are timed out and you're applying for a top end uni, consider resitting the exams.

I was thinking kings and I emailed with the year I took the exams they didn’t say anything bad about it. UCL and LSE said 3 years but I do meet the requirements with my older exams so I was wondering if I did a feb open university module would they accept me for next Sept? I’ll ask them tomorrow
Reply 3
Which course, and which A levels did you take with what grades?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Which course, and which A levels did you take with what grades?

I want to do marketing/management. I’m Irish so I got 3 H1s, 2H2s, 2H3s. I think h1 is equivalent to A*/A, H2 A, H3 B. I’d love to go to UCL, KCL
Reply 5
Original post by Timara
I want to do marketing/management. I’m Irish so I got 3 H1s, 2H2s, 2H3s. I think h1 is equivalent to A*/A, H2 A, H3 B. I’d love to go to UCL, KCL

Well - one thing to do is just apply. So long as you can easily afford the application fee the worst that happens is you don't get an offer. Also - contact the universities to see what they might accept as evidence of recent study.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Well - one thing to do is just apply. So long as you can easily afford the application fee the worst that happens is you don't get an offer. Also - contact the universities to see what they might accept as evidence of recent study.

I’ve contacted them and get mixed answers so I think you’re right! I should just apply. I think recent study is like a levels/he access course but maybe my experience of work and dedication might help price that I really can study at undergrad level
A lot of unis ask for recent study, often 3 or 5 years being the cutoff points. You'd have to ask whether one module would be sufficient, as they may prefer a 1 yr Access to HE course.

Mature applicants are a bit case by case so it's usually best to speak to any uni ahead of applying.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
A lot of unis ask for recent study, often 3 or 5 years being the cutoff points. You'd have to ask whether one module would be sufficient, as they may prefer a 1 yr Access to HE course.

Mature applicants are a bit case by case so it's usually best to speak to any uni ahead of applying.

Thank you I’ve spoken to a few who don’t seem to mind and a few who don’t give clear cut answers. I think I will apply and see. I have a lot of work experience too which I’m hoping they might consider
Just wanted to say good luck with your application! My qualifications were a really long time ago, I'm now in the midst of a part-time degree. I spoke direct to the course admissions tutor at an open day and they were really helpful. I really recommend having direct contact - it means they see you as a unique individual long before you apply.
@Timara

It sounds like if you have to demonstrate recent study an Access to HE program would be perfect for you; they are very much seen as being on trend as Foundation Years got a bit of a kick-in in the Governments Auger Review a few years back.

An Access to HE Diploma in Business Management would be the natural fit, the title may vary between provider although this does not matter it is the modules that matter. You may be able to do a Social Sciences pathway which would include Psychology, I would check with the Admissions Tutor. Had students doing all sorts of things to demonstrate recent study, I had one on Access to Primary teaching who went into Music Production

Marc
Arden University Student Amabssador
My alevel type qualifications are 14 years old and I only got 66 ucas points back then. I did one year of uni straight after and dropped out in 2nd year. I've done 4 years of work since and just got accepted unconditionally into uni.
Original post by arealcupoftea
My alevel type qualifications are 14 years old and I only got 66 ucas points back then. I did one year of uni straight after and dropped out in 2nd year. I've done 4 years of work since and just got accepted unconditionally into uni.

Edit: my point being, anything is possible. I also applied straight to the uni and skipped the ucas process which is also possible still with student loans.
Original post by Timara

Good grades. Yeah, I concur with the others, these unis can be a bit picky so your qualifications might be timed out. Do check though.

One thing I recommend in terms of getting a marketing degree (irrespective of my biases) is that you should go and do a CIM accredited degree should you wish to go into industry. See: https://www.cim.co.uk/qualifications/cim-accredited-degree/
Unfortunately, not many top end unis would offer CIM accredited degrees, probably because they tend not to be as academic.
Reply 14
Original post by arealcupoftea

Oh my gosh amazing. So happy for you. Do you mind me asking which uni?
Original post by Timara

I’m curios what qualification can an 8 year get ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending