The Student Room Group

I reeeally want to move out of halls, help!

I am not sure if this belongs here or the student lounge.

I live in halls. It is in a pretty bad area, and I have a great desire to move. Though I did scout out the neighborhood, I felt it was okay in order to meet new people.

However, I did not know the problem I would encounter- men are harassing me VERY badly here. I am not talking about wolf whistles- they are following me, walking up to me and looking down my blouse, being very rude, touching me, etc. I am always very quick to rebuff, but I am quite unsettled. 2 girls in another nearby hall were raped, and I am just afraid.

I signed a contract, yes. And I had no idea that this would happen. I have taken to wearing sunglasses in the rain, as that seems to deter them a little.

My old neighborhood had very little of this behavior (I know it is inescapable).

I am going to approach the accommodation officer, and voice my worries. Does anyone else have any other tips?

I know this post sounds like a joke to many of you, but I want any help I can get. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
OMG!!!:eek: That is absolutely shocking!! Whereabouts are you? (so I can avoid it like the plague...)

If you are in university halls, then it's their responsibility to make sure that they are safe/ reasonably well-maintained etc, and by the sound of it, this isn't happening. I would speak to the accomadation officer as soon as possible, explain that you feel unsafe and hopefully they'll listen and move you.

This sounds very unusual for university residences though...
Reply 2
Where are you? If you're at York University don't bother, as they'll admit you don't owe anything and also that they made up the dates you were there and how much they're gonna charge you but then send debt collectors after you.

See if you can change first. It's quite likely people will have dropped out, so spaces may be available in some other halls. Even if you can't, it might help next year's students if you've voiced your concerns. Also, if you do need to find private acommodation they can help.
Reply 3
Juno
Where are you? If you're at York University don't bother, as they'll admit you don't owe anything and also that they made up the dates you were there and how much they're gonna charge you but then send debt collectors after you.

See if you can change first. It's quite likely people will have dropped out, so spaces may be available in some other halls. Even if you can't, it might help next year's students if you've voiced your concerns. Also, if you do need to find private acommodation they can help.

Worst case if you cant move you only have another three or 4 weeks left
I'm intrigued to know which university halls this is too....hope it isn't the university i'm planning on going to!
Shocking behaviour too - you automatically assume this would never happen near a university, but when you actually think about it, there is no reason it won't happen, which is worrying....
The hall is in South London.

I actually am in class until 25 June, but my contract holds me here until Sept. :frown: Which is why I want out NOW.

Thanks so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending