The Student Room Group

Access to nursing

Hi all

I am sure this might have already been answered but I have really looked and can't find the answer.

Yesterday I went for my written test and then the numeracy and literacy tests to enable me to do the access course. Have to do this before short listing for interview. I feel like I have totally messed it up :frown: I got a level 1 in both maths and literacy. Don't know about the written as you obviously don't do it on line. I feel that that went ok anyway as it was actually based on what I do for a living lol

I can understand me getting level 1 as I was last in education in 1999 when I left college. I had a c in my English language and English literature and a c in my maths for gcse's. I also had my science and 6 other gcse's above grade c. I also have a btec national diploma in media and film studies a level.

Do you think I will be accepted even if I did have level 1? So worried, need to start the course this year. I read that they don't necessarily turn you down cause of the bksb score, it's just to give them an idea of where you would need support. But how true is this?

Sorry for waffling, just slightly stressed and worried about it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the college. At one college they said my Maths was a level 1 and they offered me a place. At the next college I knew they wanted level 2/3 so I revised like mad and just got in.

If the college says they don't turn people down because of the score then they won't. How long until you hear?
Reply 2
That makes me feel a bit better :smile: they said within a fortnight. I so so hope I get accepted
Original post by jami74
Depends on the college. At one college they said my Maths was a level 1 and they offered me a place. At the next college I knew they wanted level 2/3 so I revised like mad and just got in.

If the college says they don't turn people down because of the score then they won't. How long until you hear?

so if you already have lvl 2 numeracy and literacy or (Gcse A - C grade in maths and english) then you don't have to do the college entry assement?
Reply 4
Original post by Wild Horses
so if you already have lvl 2 numeracy and literacy or (Gcse A - C grade in maths and english) then you don't have to do the college entry assement?

Depends on the college. I have GCSE C grade but the entry assesments weren't optional.
Original post by jami74
Depends on the college. I have GCSE C grade but the entry assesments weren't optional.

oh cool, so then that means, lambeth is compulsory but oh well, not worried too much
Reply 6
If your GCSE is over five years old it will not be considered, I do not know if this is true of your college but it is of every college in my area. Level 2 is GCSE and Level 3 is 'A' Level. A level 1 is below that, the access course I have just finished will accept students that have been assessed as being able to do the course, that included students that where at level 1 at the start of the year. If they do say no check to see if they do a pre-access course.
Reply 7
I emailed the admins officer yesterday to check that the test is just to see what level you are working at and that the test is used wholly to assess whether you get on the course or not, as he had said before we started the test.

He replied stating that the test is wholly used. No previous qualifications etc are used. I suspect now I won't get on the course. I will have to think of something else to do now. I don't want to be left with nothing to do when my job is made redundant in 2014 :frown:
Original post by Pandaspot
I emailed the admins officer yesterday to check that the test is just to see what level you are working at and that the test is used wholly to assess whether you get on the course or not, as he had said before we started the test.

He replied stating that the test is wholly used. No previous qualifications etc are used. I suspect now I won't get on the course. I will have to think of something else to do now. I don't want to be left with nothing to do when my job is made redundant in 2014 :frown:

what job is that?
Reply 9
A rather crappy job. I am a housing and council tax benefit assessor. I can't wait to be made redundant to be honest, haven't enjoyed my job for years :frown:
Reply 10
hi , looks like you are undertaking the same direction as me. i have just completed the P.S.E course at my local institute. it is the new version of the Acccess planning course. was really good got my levels up and i have been offered a place on the Access in September. you should consider this sort of course it was only a friday course and was great at getting you back into the studying and learning aspects, dont give up if you dont get in work on your grades do extra evening classes and keep trying, if i can anyone can.
Reply 11
Original post by hawkeye04
hi , looks like you are undertaking the same direction as me. i have just completed the P.S.E course at my local institute. it is the new version of the Acccess planning course. was really good got my levels up and i have been offered a place on the Access in September. you should consider this sort of course it was only a friday course and was great at getting you back into the studying and learning aspects, dont give up if you dont get in work on your grades do extra evening classes and keep trying, if i can anyone can.

I had my access to nursing course just over 3 weeks ago now. I had to bring in a supporting statement about my goals, why I wanted to do the course, etc. And also a maths and english test on the computer.
On the maths test I got a level 2, which surprised me, but I am a manager of a betting shop so I work with maths all the time haha. I got a level 1 for english though.
On Tuesday i start a pre-access course for english, which is basically a free course for me to obtain level 2 in english. The admissions woman said I would need to complete it in order to get onto the course in September.
But.. I've not heard anything for definite! Might just have a word with the college when I start this English course on Tuesday!
Reply 12
I received my letter I didn't get on the course as a suspected :frown:

I have emailed the college to check whether there is another intake in feb and also for some feedback.

Do you think if I do a level 2 btec first distance learning in health and social care this will look good on my next application? The course is basic I know but at least it will give me some experience and show I am committed to having a career in nursing

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Aw, sorry to hear that! You must be disappointed :frown: I'd say you're probably better off working on your literacy and numeracy tests and get ready for next time.If you do the btec you'll still have to do the two tests and both skills are highly important for a degree in nursing. Good luck!
Reply 14
Yeah I am disappointed. I emailed the college and the lecturer has invited me in to do further diagnostic test in literacy to show where my weak spots are. I have done a few online test and I am top of level 2 working on level 3. To be honest when I went for the test I was feeling quite crap. Had bad wisdom teeth pain, no sleep etc. I know it's no excuse, I hope today I score really high.

Least they can see I am very determined or a pain in the ass lol :smile:
Reply 15
best way to be, keep pushing and show them you have a plan, take paper work about the ext stage to show you are looking into everything. I would also do evening classes on english and maths, i did a level 3 anatomy and physiology course, ever bit you do can only help
Original post by Pandaspot
Yeah I am disappointed. I emailed the college and the lecturer has invited me in to do further diagnostic test in literacy to show where my weak spots are. I have done a few online test and I am top of level 2 working on level 3. To be honest when I went for the test I was feeling quite crap. Had bad wisdom teeth pain, no sleep etc. I know it's no excuse, I hope today I score really high.

Least they can see I am very determined or a pain in the ass lol :smile:

which college are you applying too and tell us how it went. thanks
Reply 17
I am on my way back, they gave me a further literacy diagonistic of literacy at level 1 and I had 88%. The lecturer doing the test sat down with the results and said well there isn't much to discuss much on here. You obviously have excellent literacy skills lol.

I mentioned about my wisdom teeth, no sleep etc. I also mentioned could I appeal it? He said maybe ring the access course lecturer tomorrow, mention about the mitagating factors and what my test result was today. He said harm in discussing it with him.

Suppose there Is no harm in asking? Just don't want to be a pain in the ass to him.

Coleg gwent is where I applied :smile:

So shall I appeal? Or at least discuss test results with him?
Reply 18
i would contact him , ans discuss it . it goes a long way to show how determine and keen you are
Reply 19
Thought I would give you an update. This week I attended a summer school I was invited on 'study skills for access' it was for people who are doing an access course starting in September so was a bit confused as I hadn't been accepted.

Anyway had a call today and going there paid off as I have now had an offer to go on the course! Can't wait now for September :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending