The Student Room Group

can't eat vegetables, they make me sick

Scroll to see replies

The problem just might be that you are a "super-taster" -- like me. 20% of the population are super-tasters. 30% of the population are non-tasters. The rest are mid-tasters. Super-tasters are more susceptible to the bitter taste of cruciferous vegetables which contain glucosinolate. In addition, some of these vegetables, when boiled, can give off sulpher compounds. The combination of these two factors (taste and smell) make some people gag or vomit when trying to eat these vegetables. What can you do? The only thing you can do is to try and cover up or reduce your sensitivity to these chemical compounds. Pepper or a cheese sauce is one way. Lightly steaming these vegetables (without a cover) can work. Another way is to use a large sauce pan and don't use a lid. Bring the water to a rapid boil before adding the vegetables and don't boil for more than one minute (i.e., blanching without dousing in cold water afterwards).
(edited 5 years ago)
looking for the same solution dude

Original post by laprenti
But I need to start eating them because I'm becoming overweight. I cannot even put them in my mouth, I gag when I do, and I even hate the smell (like boiling cauliflower...disgusting). But in order to hide the taste of vegetables you have to make them unhealthy, which is pointless. Is there any way of making vegetables taste ok/mask their taste without making them unhealthy?

I can already eat lentil soup, green beans and lettuce/cucumbers, that's about it really though.
You can improve the taste of vegetables without compromising their health by cooking them in various ways. You can steam, boil, grill, bake or pan-fry vegetables to make them more palatable. Some tips for making vegetables taste better include adding spices such as curry powder or garlic, using acidic fruits such as citrus fruit and adding yogurt or sour cream to enhance the flavor profile.

You can also reduce the amount of salt you use when cooking vegetables if desired. Salt is often added to boost flavor and increase shelf life, but too much salt intake has been linked with high blood pressure and other health concerns. If you want to enjoy healthy Vegetables without sacrificing their natural flavors
Original post by laprenti
But I need to start eating them because I'm becoming overweight. I cannot even put them in my mouth, I gag when I do, and I even hate the smell (like boiling cauliflower...disgusting). But in order to hide the taste of vegetables you have to make them unhealthy, which is pointless. Is there any way of making vegetables taste ok/mask their taste without making them unhealthy?

I can already eat lentil soup, green beans and lettuce/cucumbers, that's about it really though.

You could eat more of fruits instead if eating veggies is not suitable for you fruits are also very healthy and the other way is to have soup intake of veggies such as cauliflower, spinach this would also work. also view my profile to learn more.

Quick Reply

Latest