The Student Room Group

OCR should die

I really hate OCR. They are just awful, who else wishes it didn't exist?

For my media exam I've been given these two questions to answer one topic with (I had to research a topic such as crime):

account of the kinds of research undertaken, to include:

the producers, academic criticism, popular criticism, audience reception

analysis and presentation of the research undertaken:

the investigative process, the findings, the presentation and developement of an arguement or thesis with reference to textual evidence, conclusions

Is it just me or is it really unclear how to avoid overlapping the answers for those two questions? Am I just really thick? If I am, can someone point out to me how you are supposed to answer those without overlapping? I feel like phonin gthe exam board to get a clear answer since my teachers can't help me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The "layout" of their exams make me want cry. Did someone just open a Word document?:rolleyes:
Reply 2
OCR have been good to me - thank God for the stupid questions on GCSE Salters Science :smile:
Reply 3
OCR have been good to me to, apart from a dodgy question which wasn't supposed to be on the paper, i got my top mark in there exam in Physics, but then... the dodgy question was a bit evil...
Reply 4
I hate OCR, got them for Geoggers.
YUCK.
Oui, OCR are my most hated exam board. Alas, I have them for my two most important subjects. :\
Reply 6
OCR are great :P
OCR are cool, Edexcel is the MF
Reply 8
No, Edexcel are good too. Just AQA and WJEC - ewwwwwwww
AQA are the easy board. Edexcel are kinda.. in between, slightly unprofessional. OCR are the elitist army of examiners.
At GCSE OCR were so mean to me - I was 1 mark off an A* (
I got359/400) for ICT and in Year 10 when I did business GCSE I was 3 marks off an A* ---- they're mean.

But I think they're quite fair for Maths at A-level - though they put some dodgily worded questions on sometimes.

BUT - they are EVIL personified for RS; 20 minutes to write a longer essay and 10 minutes to write a shorter one - each exam is an hour so you do 2 lots of these - and then to make it worse I have to do this a total of 6 times in one day -UGH!

AQA are horrible for English Literature I think - yak. They're quite nice for German though; I guess it just depends how mean or pompous the head examiners are
Edexcel are the worst.
Reply 12
I am on OCR for Chemistry and I find them OK they also do STEP though which is a bit evil of them. I hate Edexcel for they have the Salters Horners specification for Physics
I had to do that exam in January for OCR and failed miserably. We had the options of err... "Children and Television", "Women and film" and "Popular music and youth culture". I chose the latter, and decided to compare the impact of protest music on young Americans during Vietnam and thus far during Iraq. I tried to do everything the exam asked of me, did loads of research, etc, and got 1 mark above a D. My teacher sent off for my script to see where I went so far wrong... I think I should have chosen something far more concrete and obvious.
tymbnuip
The "layout" of their exams make me want cry. Did someone just open a Word document?:rolleyes:

I remember the AS psychology of 2 years ago...were they just randomly stuck the last few questions on the back of the booklet!!
with a tiny "please turn over" at the bottom, which people covered over with their writing paper.

I remember on TSR loads of people said theyd missed it out...luckily I didnt, but it wasnt clearly stated that there was quesitons on the back, and it was the first year theyd done that format (before theyd put it on a new page)

so IMO there layouts could be better
Reply 15
yelwalkietalkie
I had to do that exam in January for OCR and failed miserably. We had the options of err... "Children and Television", "Women and film" and "Popular music and youth culture". I chose the latter, and decided to compare the impact of protest music on young Americans during Vietnam and thus far during Iraq. I tried to do everything the exam asked of me, did loads of research, etc, and got 1 mark above a D. My teacher sent off for my script to see where I went so far wrong... I think I should have chosen something far more concrete and obvious.

we were told that with the critical research we had to concentrate on the UK (acccording to the actual specification) and UKanian (:P) institutions :eek: just a suggestion about what might have happened....

I'm freaking out about that exam, we are going to sit it in may, eek. I don't get the questions at all or how to answer them.
Reply 16
OCR are not too bad, but they have the terrible Salters chemistry specification which just needs to die. AQA are by far the best exam board, nicely providing many past papers on their website!
Reply 17
Urgh - I had ALL (bar one) of my GCSEs on OCR. I'm hardly in love with them... I've now got them for Maths / Further Maths, and Physics - the maths course (MEI) is really good, even if a little dull in terms of content at times, but the Physics course (Advancing Physics) is awful - the physics I'm learning is not real physics! It's all about applications of physics, and the lack of mathematical content is somewhat disappointing at times.

So yes - OCR should die!
You think OCR are bad? Try WJEC, the most random things are on the chemistry syllabus... one memorable exam question starts "When sea slugs are alarmed..." lol.. and I mean lol. few more juvenile members of the class were nearly thrown out of the Mock - exam it came up in.
Reply 19
i dunno ive had them for bio chem and physics and i have to say....its not ALL BAD...

Latest