The Student Room Group

Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony? (Part 2)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 44'er
Don't think thats going to work - I think the whole park has to be clear before fireworks (presumably so they dont fall on anyone's head !)

Most public firework displays (at Guy Fawkes etc.) don't seem to need the entire park cleared first - and I've been at a few in my time, but you may be right about OP being different, y'never know.

:wink:
I cannot leave work until 4.30 p.m so will get there asap. I have Flakey's mobile details so will keep in touch.
Flakey - sure you will let me know if things get confirmed?

See all you 41ers tomorrow

EG
I emailed my casting co-ordinator to find out what happens after the OC in order to try and make plans for a get together/drink to celebrate our great performance! This is the reply I received - not good news.

Unfortunately after you have performed we will require you to leave the stadium more or less straight away, we have a large number of cast on site and trying to hold all of these people to watch the remainder of the show would be impossible. We would also like all of the cast to be able to get home before the thousands of people in the audience swamp the public transport!

You will be given more information about costume and the process of leaving or entering the stadium as the rehearsals progress as this is also a crucial part of the show.

Sorry for any inconvenience, we will give you more information and training on this soon.

Genevieve Baker

Casting Assistant
Reply 583
Original post by wickedgrin
I emailed my casting co-ordinator to find out what happens after the OC in order to try and make plans for a get together/drink to celebrate our great performance! This is the reply I received - not good news.

Unfortunately after you have performed we will require you to leave the stadium more or less straight away, we have a large number of cast on site and trying to hold all of these people to watch the remainder of the show would be impossible. We would also like all of the cast to be able to get home before the thousands of people in the audience swamp the public transport!

You will be given more information about costume and the process of leaving or entering the stadium as the rehearsals progress as this is also a crucial part of the show.

Sorry for any inconvenience, we will give you more information and training on this soon.

Genevieve Baker

Casting Assistant

Pretty much the stock reply. I think that we should be gien the choice if we want to get home before the audience fllod public transport and it still dosnt explain why they cant do something for us off site if they dont want us on site.

As she is a casting assistant, it might be as well to asker her to forward your email to the organisers.
At the moment I have not "got my head" round this. It does appear that we are changing off site, our movement will be controlled and we will be encouraged to leave the area ASAP.

So, after spending 24 rehearsals of up to 8 hours at a time and forming acquaintances and friendships with our fellow performers over that time, we are expected, after one of the most thrilling experiences of our lives just to get changed and catch the tube home individually (like commuters) while the ceremony we have been part of continues and miss out on the fireworks and the atmosphere as we are on the underground?

Mmmm need to give this some thought!
Reply 585
I think people are getting in a tizz over nothing. From what I can make out from this thread, there is not enough room "backstage" for all the performers so "backstage" is a holding venue away from the stadium. Part of the dress rehearsal is practising the logisitics of getting too and from that venue in time for your segment so performers cannot hang around to watch the rest of the show in the stadium. I doubt they will care how long you hang around the holding venue, and who says it won't have TVs? Have faith people, they seem to know exactly what they are doing :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 586
41a ers, I just got the email from our coordinaters for tommrow nights logistics at the stadium :smile:
Reply 587
Original post by geejohn
I can finally go on Flakeydoms spreadsheet, yahoo!

You were already on it as a 97-POLE (turned down). So finally given up the Olympic dream and gone for the Paras... Now, when you find out what POLEs and LOUDs are doing, I wonder if you'll imagine yourself doing the other!
Original post by Bust A Move
Hi!
I, as many others, have been following this thread anxiously waiting for news.. Put on reserve list....given up hope...and then out of the blue I got an email to be in the Para Opening 98-WHIRL!

Congrats - and good to hear from you after all this time!
Original post by Grayman233
Hi all, long time hanger on, first time poster.

Welcome too - but as a long-term lurker, you must know that we like more info than just 'I'm in the closing'. :wink:
Original post by Essex Girl
Have any other 41ers received any info on how we get into the stadium tomorrow?

It's just pinged into my inbox at 1939. Still no updated rehearsal schedule although there is an attachment explaining why some rehearsals are so late... Awsum did say that she'd spoken to them today about something else and asked about the email to be told that it had gone out. She mentioned that she hadn't had one and nor had anyone else so they said they'd check. Well done, Awsum!

For any 41s that I haven't PM'd, we were thinking about meeting up beforehand at Starbucks just inside Westfield at 4.30 and wandering along together.
Original post by cornishscot
I can see no reason why those that want to wait cannot view the remainder of the live ceremony on the big screen(s) inside the Olympic park itself, even if Joe Public has to pay to do that (I appreciate why allowing you to stay inside the actual stadium arena FOP or even backstage there may not be an option from a security/crowd safety point of view etc.)

As for the dress rehearsals .......... seems strange that reserve Gamesmakers appear to being offered tickets ahead of actual opening/closing ceremony performers (even more important for the closing ceremony folks to receive them if, as has already been reported on here, those dear people are not even getting a dress rehearsal inside the stadium themselves prior to show night).

That's my tuppence worth (for what it's worth) - can see a lot of last minute drop-outs if this issue is allowed to rumble on unresolved for too long over it too and what a shame that would be for all concerned.

C'mon casting ............ have a word would ya !

The more I think of this, the more I feel that many of you in the Opening are getting a much better deal than the Closing.

In the Opening, you get to rehearse in the Stadium plus many of you get the chance to watch the dress rehearsals. Whereas those of us in the Closing, so far will not get the chance to rehearse in the Stadium with the only time we actually set foot in it will be on the actual day of our performance. Secondly, indication strongly suggests that we in the Closing will not get to see any rehearsals in the Stadium either. Yes, it can be argued that the Opening segments do not view the Closing segments either but either way, it sounds to me as if the Closing Segments have definitely got the shorter straw here.

Collected my Accreditation Pass today and was sitting next to three Opening Ceremony performers and they were shocked to hear that the Closing performers will not be rehearsing in the Stadium, nor offered tickets.

I am also of the belief that there will not be any arrangements for holding parties etc., for us closing performers either. So, the only solution in relation to maintaining contact would be exchanging emails, pms and contact details of fellow performers in your segments.

Sorry to be the voice of gloom here but I personally feel that after the Closing Ceremony is finished, that the Casting Team would be more focused on preparations for the Paralympics Opening Ceremonies. (BTW, on my way back from collecting my Accreditation Pass, one lady on the train was on her way to her first rehearsal for the paras - forgot to ask her which section she's in. Any clues anybody?)
Reply 589
Original post by Dancerwoman
I personally feel that after the Closing Ceremony is finished, that the Casting Team would be more focused on preparations for the Paralympics Opening Ceremonies.

All the more reason for us to organise our own TSR wrap up party after the Olympics and Paras finish...

We've still got the Doodle pick a date running and I think we should definitely organise one for each month - August and September.
Reply 590
Hello 41ers,
I've got the instructions email just now.
Seen that the rehearsal starts at 5, rather than 5.30, shall we move the Starbucks meet forward?

If the first rehearsal is anything to go by, I'll want to start getting in the queue by 4.30. It's the teacher's pet in me who always wants to sit at the front :tongue:
Reply 591
They told us at the first rehearsal that it will still start at 5.30 but that since it takes longer to get through security etc, they were putting arrive at 5 on the sheet so that we could still get started. If we meet at 4.30 (not necessarily to sit and have a chat with coffee) we'll still be there in lots of time. It's only a 5 minute walk to where they want us to go - if you take The Street rather than hiking through the mall.
Reply 592
Original post by LauraN1
Hello 41ers,
I've got the instructions email just now.
Seen that the rehearsal starts at 5, rather than 5.30, shall we move the Starbucks meet forward?

If the first rehearsal is anything to go by, I'll want to start getting in the queue by 4.30. It's the teacher's pet in me who always wants to sit at the front :tongue:

I read somewhere that its a 30 min walk to the stadium???? if that is the case then we should move the meet forward a bit :smile: I have various contact numbers so will text when I am there. Bit like you Laura, I like to be at the front too :wink:
Reply 593
I'm pretty sure that 5pm is at the security gate - not in the Stadium. They will probably hold us at the gate until then. And I promise it's not 30 minutes from Starbucks to security - 5 at a brisk walk, 10 if we saunter to protect Bignic's knee and zassy's foot.

How about we meet by 4.30 at the latest and leave there by twenty to five? That way, anyone there early can grab a coffee but we should all find each other.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by Flakeydom
5pm is at the security gate - not in the Stadium. They will probably hold us at the gate until then. And I promise it's not 30 minutes from Starbucks to security - 5 at a brisk walk, 10 if we saunter to protect Bignic's knee and zassy's foot.

Yes, it's a quick walk from Starbucks to the stadium. You do need to allow a bit of time to scan and pick up your snack, but there is no rush. As with at 1:1 there is about an hour from when they ask you to get there until you'll actually do anything. It's great getting into stadium, but no need to rush.

We've just had our Fri and Sat rehearsals cancelled, so only in there on Sunday. Obviously we are that good already. Not! I'm actually a bit annoyed as had arranged childcare all weekend as hubby razzing it up in Manchester at Stone Roses, but I suppose some people will have booked hotels and all sorts...
Reply 595
Original post by Flakeydom
I'm pretty sure that 5pm is at the security gate - not in the Stadium. They will probably hold us at the gate until then. And I promise it's not 30 minutes from Starbucks to security - 5 at a brisk walk, 10 if we saunter to protect Bignic's knee and zassy's foot.

How about we meet by 4.30 at the latest and leave there by twenty to five? That way, anyone there early can grab a coffee but we should all find each other.

Ok that sounds like a plan, see you all tomorrow :smile:
Got my email but cannot open the attachment with the FAQs for some reason.

EG
Reply 597
Just sent you a PM about it.
Reply 598
It bums that people won't be able to stick around and watch the ceremony but I'm sure they have their reasoning for why, thousands of extra people milling about (in costume?!) would be a security headache, even if they come in peace. It might even be entrenched in all the agreements and permissions the organisers have been given (I was surprised in the 1:1 applications at how detailed it was in terms of "We will have x amount of people on site at this time, they will arrive by bus at staggered intervals" etc). And no doubt some people will want to leave asap, some people will want to stay and chat and drink, some will want to stay and watch... you can't please everyone so better ship everyone out and piddle them all off, maybe. I don't envy them having to say no. It's disappointing but I hope it doesn't miff people enough take the shine off performing. Maybe you will have to hire a hotel room nearby and pile in to watch it on tv :biggrin: Isn't there a big screen in Hackney somewhere? Victoria Park? Not quite being in the stadium/OP but at least there will be some atmosphere...

I wasn't expecting to be able to stay and watch after my segment in the paras. In fact, after my initial elation of being offered a role in the paras, my next thought was "great, I get to watch the Olympics opening on TV!" so I understand why people are not happy. I imagined I would be rushing home after my segment, missing the athletes parade (secretly I find this the most tedious bit of ceremonies...) and catch the end of the show. But who knows how it will pan out. I will probably crash out when I get home, and watch the whole thing recorded the following day.
Reply 599
Original post by suzalt
It was really cool wasn't it! All i can say is that we'll have very toned arms come September :wink:

Yes, I most definitely need to improve my upper body strength, I was struggling last night. Bingo wings are not made of muscle, it turns out...

Quick Reply

Latest