The Student Room Group

How much free time do you have at uni?

Scroll to see replies

First year: loads. Second year: not as much. Third and fourth years (for me): I can imagine hardly any. :redface:
Original post by Randomized
I do History and in the spring term, i had 3 hours.

Not even joking.

Bloody hell. Did you have to do loads of essays and reading in your free time? How many hours would you say you spent working outside of lessons/lectures?
I probably spent more time doing extra curricular stuff like one of my 5 bands, rowing or other stuff than lectures and tutorials, and I got a good first this year, and I also went out a lot so you get plenty of free time!
Typically, how much hours a week is an engineering course then??
Reply 24
Original post by bahjat93
I've been told if you do an Engineering degree you should be in your class at least 6 hours a day :biggrin:.
So for me it's not a lot

Still leaves 18 hours to do whatever you like! Take away 5-6 for sleeping and you still have half the day free, most engineers I know tend to get out plenty, do ECs etc. The one at Imperial does get a bit confused when he sees a female though :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by roh
Still leaves 18 hours to do whatever you like! Take away 5-6 for sleeping and you still have half the day free, most engineers I know tend to get out plenty, do ECs etc. The one at Imperial does get a bit confused when he sees a female though :tongue:

Hahahaha, i'm one of those guys that like his own company so i'm perfectly fine just sitting in my house by my self :tongue:
Original post by Amwazicles
6 hours seriously? What kind of courses have the least?

arts and humanities ones where your expected to do a lot of independant reading which cant be done in a structured class- English in 2nd and 3rd year is usually one of the worst for contact hours.
Reply 27
Original post by emilie18
Current / past students...
How much free time do you / did you get at university?

I'm off to uni in september, and was wondering about the possibility of doing art classes while I'm there. I really wanted to do Art A-Level but couldn't :sigh: I would love to do something creative and feel like it might be useful for me later in life to have built up some kind of portfolio. I can do some myself but obviously I need help in terms of technique etc

Is this a realistic goal or will I not have enough time?

Thanks in advance for any help, very much appreciated.... :smile:

it depends on what course you are doing. some courses have very little contact hours so people doing those kind of courses will have lots of free time to join societies and clubs and pursue other interests as well. personally, I think it depends on how you utilise your time. I do medicine which is quite intensive and find that I have to organise my time carefully so I get the right balance. I usually work every day and up till about 6/7pm so that I can have the evenings off. this is during normal term time not revision time. I think if you really want to do your art course and are committed to both you will find a way to make it work. what course are you doing?
Reply 28
Original post by hali0112
it depends on what course you are doing. some courses have very little contact hours so people doing those kind of courses will have lots of free time to join societies and clubs and pursue other interests as well. personally, I think it depends on how you utilise your time. I do medicine which is quite intensive and find that I have to organise my time carefully so I get the right balance. I usually work every day and up till about 6/7pm so that I can have the evenings off. this is during normal term time not revision time. I think if you really want to do your art course and are committed to both you will find a way to make it work. what course are you doing?

I'm going to be doing International Business with French + extra Spanish modules too.

Thanks for your help. :smile:
Reply 29
I'm going to be doing International Business with French + extra Spanish modules too.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

ahhhh... that sounds like a lot already. Do you think the art course will be quite intensive or something that you can manage as well as your uni work? which uni are you going to? are you excited about uni? :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by hali0112
ahhhh... that sounds like a lot already. Do you think the art course will be quite intensive or something that you can manage as well as your uni work? which uni are you going to? are you excited about uni? :smile:

I know :frown: That's what I'm worried about, I really want to do art but not if it's going to compromise how well I do at uni. I'll probably be working 8/12 hrs a week too, so that + social life probably leaves little time for an art course, aghhr.

I'm quite good at time management but I don't wanna put myself under toooooo much pressure :rolleyes:

I'm off to Aston uni in Birmingham, YES very excited but also very nervous ha!
To be honest, pre-clinical isn't that much more than a standard science degree, we've had plenty of free time, except maybe in the couple of weeks before exams.
First year Electrical and Electronic Engineering my timetable consisted of 28 hours per week so on average 6 hours a day (rounded up). Add 2-3 hours of my own work that's still 14-15 hours a day to do whatever I wanted. In second semester I had one day off a week (so 7 hours a day) which I used to catch up on work and sleep. Mainly sleep though :smile:
depends entirely on your course, your hobbies etc
Original post by LuisSuarez7
First year Electrical and Electronic Engineering my timetable consisted of 28 hours per week so on average 6 hours a day (rounded up). Add 2-3 hours of my own work that's still 14-15 hours a day to do whatever I wanted. In second semester I had one day off a week (so 7 hours a day) which I used to catch up on work and sleep. Mainly sleep though :smile:

I want to do electronic engineering this september and i was just wondering what uni do you go to??
Original post by dyfandavies
I want to do electronic engineering this september and i was just wondering what uni do you go to??

University of Leeds.
Current / past students...
How much free time do you / did you get at university?

I'm off to uni in september, and was wondering about the possibility of doing art classes while I'm there. I really wanted to do Art A-Level but couldn't :sigh: I would love to do something creative and feel like it might be useful for me later in life to have built up some kind of portfolio. I can do some myself but obviously I need help in terms of technique etc

Is this a realistic goal or will I not have enough time?

Thanks in advance for any help, very much appreciated.... :smile:

Like you, I will be starting uni in September. My suggestion to you would be to join an art/creative society. There are lots of societies at unis.

Which uni are you going to? And in terms of art, what area of art do you like? (E.g. graphic design, fine art, photography, fashion)
At the Bristol open day they said there are 11.5 contact hours per week for history, 8 hours per week at Southampton.
Reply 38
I know, right!

OP, it definitely depends on what course you're doing. I found that I had a lot of free time but it just wasn't enough if you want to fit being with your best friend Procrastination every now and then.
Reply 39
All that free time at uni was so great. If you had no outstanding work you could just go out one sunny afternoon to the Union play pool have a chat with some friends. Come back chill out before the evening if you were going out or just staying in and having fun either way... damn I miss uni ;_;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending