The Student Room Group

Help! Is it possible to teach yourself computer science?? (Or am I totally bonkers)

Hi all. First, some background. I've just taken my IB exams - Higher maths, econ and English, standard physics, history and French. Results are out on 6th July, and I'm currently predicted 45.

I thought all the way until last week that I would be an economics undergrad. To the extent that I've worked 2 consecutive summers at banks and write my own journal on finance.

Then last week I read a book called "Founders at Work" which completely seduced me about technology.

Even though I'm (taking a gap year and) applying this september, I think it's too late to change from economics to computer science/computing.

So my question is - if I'm willing to buy the textbooks and ask questions from people I know who do the subject, how much of a computer science course can I cover by myself?

Specifically, I'm interested in making computer hardware, programming software, and security.

(I'm really quantitative! And totally focused.)

Anybody who does compsci/ computing has any advice from experience of their course?

Thanks in advance. Tell me if I'm mad.:rolleyes:
Reply 1
For some level of preparation at least, udacity is a really good tool to learn some basics.

Try taking CS101 and see how it goes.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
It's not too late to change. You have Maths HL which is the only requirement for Computer Science. The rest just comes down to how much interest you can show in your personal statement and interview.

You can cover a lot of a CS course by yourself. Some of the Maths stuff will get tricky without someone to help you, if that's the kind of CS you want to learn.
Reply 3
Thanks! Okay. I probably will stick to econ as my course - and learn CS on the side.

My parents are the kind that will only tolerate Oxbridge... =_= not that I actually care except for the fact that they'll be paying part of my fees. And I don't think I have a very high chance at all of getting Oxbridge CS. So econ it is. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by grinningkid
Hi all. First, some background. I've just taken my IB exams - Higher maths, econ and English, standard physics, history and French. Results are out on 6th July, and I'm currently predicted 45.

I thought all the way until last week that I would be an economics undergrad. To the extent that I've worked 2 consecutive summers at banks and write my own journal on finance.

Then last week I read a book called "Founders at Work" which completely seduced me about technology.

Even though I'm (taking a gap year and) applying this september, I think it's too late to change from economics to computer science/computing.

So my question is - if I'm willing to buy the textbooks and ask questions from people I know who do the subject, how much of a computer science course can I cover by myself?

Specifically, I'm interested in making computer hardware, programming software, and security.

(I'm really quantitative! And totally focused.)

Anybody who does compsci/ computing has any advice from experience of their course?

Thanks in advance. Tell me if I'm mad.:rolleyes:

Computer science is a very wide spectrum. It is almost darn near impossible to know everything and if someone claims they know everything about it, these are the characters you need to stay far far away from regardless of how much a genius they set themselves up to be.

As for teaching yourself computer science, Bill Gates and the late Steve Jobs were no CS graduates :biggrin:
For straight Computer Science at Oxford we will normally make an offer for IB of 39 points, including core points. You need to have Mathematics to Higher Level in the IB (score 7). Further Mathematics or another Science would also be highly recommended but not essential. So your subject choice at school is fine, but you would need to get your grade up.

What we are looking for is ability, potential and commitment. We are not looking for candidates with any specific knowledge about computers. Our courses start from first principles so you don't need to have studied Computer Science at schools to realistically apply. Some of our students have, but more haven't. But we do look for an interest in computing and a curiosity about the way computers and computer programs work. And for students who have developed their mathematical thinking. There's lots more on what we look for in our students on the website.

There's also a "recommended reading list" (which includes more practical things than just reading) that might be of interest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Wow. Thanks Herr and Oxford Computer Science Dept! I'm going to try some of the practice papers. Incase I can actually do them... in which case I am going to have to think long and hard about my future study -_-
Wow. Thanks Herr and Oxford Computer Science Dept! I'm going to try some of the practice papers. Incase I can actually do them... in which case I am going to have to think long and hard about my future study -_-

You're welcome. There are some sample copies of our aptitude tests (and some answers) here. As a rough guide those we interviewed last year got over 50%.
Reply 8
Thanks! Okay. I probably will stick to econ as my course - and learn CS on the side.

My parents are the kind that will only tolerate Oxbridge... =_= not that I actually care except for the fact that they'll be paying part of my fees. And I don't think I have a very high chance at all of getting Oxbridge CS. So econ it is. :smile:

I don't know why you think Oxbridge Econ is easier to get into than Oxbridge CS, because it definitely isn't :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by tooosh
I don't know why you think Oxbridge Econ is easier to get into than Oxbridge CS, because it definitely isn't :tongue:

I know dude, I know!

Except...

I feel like a shapeless animal who decides they want to live in the sea, and 80% of the way into growing fins they look up at the sky and figure flying might be interesting too...

Both are difficult. But I'm already 80% into the first one. =_=
Reply 10
I know dude, I know!

Except...

I feel like a shapeless animal who decides they want to live in the sea, and 80% of the way into growing fins they look up at the sky and figure flying might be interesting too...

Both are difficult. But I'm already 80% into the first one. =_=

Joint honours? I'm sure you can take that combination somewhere.
Reply 11
Original post by tooosh
Joint honours? I'm sure you can take that combination somewhere.

My parents are not interested. Honestly, that sounds like the solution and I would love to do econ and CS at St Andrews, but I literally just got off the phone to my dad and they are only going to support my gap year decision/fees if I apply to Oxbridge/LSE.

:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Saint Andrews is also a pretty good uni, Prince William went there!
Jokes aside, I think you are the one who has to decide what you want to do with your life!
I know your dad said it's either that or that... but what I would do is try and talk to him face to face and show him your enthusiasm, that drive and passion you've got in your eyes!
try to switch, there really is no point doing one subject when you have your heart set on another.

As far as learning CS is concerned, it can be learnt, but not without a great deal of personal effort.

There are a lot of courses now on the internet given by Stanford and famous people from other unis. They are good as introduction, but most are deceptively easy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't listen to these guys telling you to go do otherwise, you've barely got into Computer Science, you may think the majority of it is boring if you do apply to the course in a rush; go with what you know and so apply for Economics. I don't understand why certain people want others to be rebels for no good reason. And you can learn a great deal about Computer Science through textbooks and the internet, like any subject really. Good luck.
You can teach yourself anything if you put your mind to it.
Possible no doubt, although I imagine getting taught formally would be much easier.
Reply 17
Original post by Genocidal
You can teach yourself anything if you put your mind to it.

Agreed. I think I will apply for econ - a close friend who isn't taking a gap year switched really late last year, from economics to physics. She got rejected from Cambridge and Imperial, and says she really regrets changing tack.

Life isn't a solid iron cube. I'm sure if I end up getting an irresistable pull to CS in the middle of my econ course, most likely in the form of a start up, I could just drop out, or transfer to Soton or something.

And I still really like econ.

Thanks for all the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending