The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Carl
Evidently there isn't if you're being asked for ID; how is the member of staff supposed to know that you're not underage?

What I meant was that just because I don't happen to have an 'accepted' form of ID on me to prove it, it does not automatically mean that I am underage, just that I don't have the piece of paper/card on my person which says that I am definitely NOT underage. As you say, there was presumably some doubt and he was within his rights not selling me a drink as I couldn't prove it; what annoyed me was that he seemed to think that not having passport/licence on me somehow proved that I was in fact underage and allowed him to be snotty about it.
Hayley_2k4
I was in adsa today, I popped in quickly for some nail varnish remover, when I got to pay, the woman looked at me, and said ‘sorry I can’t sell you this. When I asked why, she replied ‘because your not 16’ I showed her my driving licence that proved I’m 19, and she said ‘that’s not you in the photo, you can tell’. At this point, I was really embarrassed, and was going to leave without my cheap 74p bottle of Nail varnish remover (lol) :redface: . She then took me over to see the manager, who explained it was the new policy that they couldn’t sell things like this to under 16’s. It was only when my mum’s friend walked past (who works in adsa) that she managed to convince the woman, I was in fact 19!! :rolleyes:

Talk about embarrassing. I know I look young, but that is beyond bad. Sorry, just wanted to get that little rant over and done with :redface:

what a f***ing bitch she deserves to be sexually assaulted by sheep.

I get mad when a bouncer doesnt think i'm above 18, and i'm 17 so if that was me i would have lost my cool pretty quickly. I do admire your self control though, I wouldn't have been able to contain myself...
Reply 62
tritogeneia1
what annoyed me was that he seemed to think that not having passport/licence on me somehow proved that I was in fact underage
fair assumption
and allowed him to be snotty about it.
unfair behaviour
omg that's not very nice of her
Reply 64
uhm, hello, she works in asda.. she wanted to brighten up her day by pushing some of her annoyances onto unwilling customers and you were one of the victims.

gg

:biggrin:
Reply 65
Someone I used to work with once sold the Godfather boxset, rated 18 respectively, to a boy who was 12.

The first he knew about it was when the boy returned later in the day with his grandmother, who demanded a refund because she didn't want her grandson watching three 18 rated films.

I laughed at the sheer stupidity of the entire situation. I'd ID anyone who was buying a 12, 15 and 18 and did not look over that age. Got a lot of stick for it. Got called a **** once by a boy who was with his lardy mates, didn't have ID and claimed to be 21. But I still abide by that good ol' rule, no ID, no sale.
ChemistBoy
A provisional licence is just as valid a form of personal ID as a full driving licence. You have to get the form countersigned and everything. I really don't understand why certain places won't accept it?

:confused:

Exactly! Why teh hell should i be refused service jut because i haven't got enought money for driving lessons/test!! It's valid id, so i swear if i get any hassle for using it i won't be backing down easliy.

That said some people are somewhat..slow

I was in spar once, but had forgotton my id, and only had my switch/mastero card. The guy id me, but i just explained that i would have a switch card if i was under 18..oh and by the way i work at the club round the corner :wink: he backed down and gave me the alcohol :smile: Yeah an DP accept Connexions cards so it isn't just NUS ones
Reply 67
Firebird
I got ID'd in Wetherspoons in Cambridge and showed them my student ID, which they refused to accept. I was with a group of other 21 and 22 year olds, and the girl followed me back to the table, accused me of lying about my age and having fake ID and told us to go to the family area. My friends started heckling her saying "what, does she look 16? How old do you think she looks?" and all took out their student IDs and showed the girl that mine wasn't fake. She was a complete cow, plus she'd already served me two jugs of cocktails so she must have been on something. Anyway I went home (about two min away), got my driver's licence, went back in, went up to the bar and went "now you see that my student ID isn't fake, are you going to apologise for your attitude before?". What an idiot, we haven't been in since, and neither have the rest of my friends, and that was well over a year ago, so they've lost a lot of custom.

Gahh, I hate that pub. If we go in a big group someitmes they let most of us in then ID a couple- once it was my friend who had dropped her purse in the Cam the week before and obviously not got any ID left, and another time my friend couldnt get in becuase he doesn't have a driving liscence (and tbh they probably wouldn't accept Danish ones anyway cos they're so stupid) and obviously doesn't want to carry his passport around becuase if he loses it he wont' be able to get home. Grr they're so anal. Plus one time they wouldn't let another of our friends in becuase he doesn't wear shoes. So we all went to Nandos instead! Reckon they must've lost out on about 60 quid :biggrin: .
Reply 68
*Joanna*
Plus one time they wouldn't let another of our friends in becuase he doesn't wear shoes.

You don't say...
I work at HMV and I can tell you after watching the same film over and over again about age restrictions etc that it really is better to ask. I don't think some people realise that if we sell an underage DVD/game etc and get caught we get £5000 fine and 6 month prison sentence. So next time you get turned down because you don't have ID or it doesn't look valid I'd rather run the risk orf unpsetting one person then going to prison.

Regarding the NUS thing, the card HAS to swipe through the tills. Some university cards will not swipe and are therefore are not valid. Twice in one day two students had a go because they thought they knew better then us. The first girl was from Sussex University, I explained to her politley and she just wouldn't get the idea. After a long debate with her I turned to my team leader for back up and he confirmed this, in the end the manager let her for a one off have 10% the price (£1.00). I really wish the manager hadn't done this because when I put the payment through she had the smuggest smile on her face, I could have hit her. The second was a student from Westminster Uni, he was the worst one and someone else served him. He argued for atleast 30 minutes over about £1.75, he started shouting at my colleague saying "I go to Westminster University you have to give me discount", and asking "have you ever been to university?". Eventually he left and he didn't get his discount which is good.

So just to clarify make sure the NUS card is valid and swipes. And don't bother arguing.
Reply 70
mc_hamster
I work at HMV and I can tell you after watching the same film over and over again about age restrictions etc that it really is better to ask. I don't think some people realise that if we sell an underage DVD/game etc and get caught we get £5000 fine and 6 month prison sentence. So next time you get turned down because you don't have ID or it doesn't look valid I'd rather run the risk orf unpsetting one person then going to prison.

Regarding the NUS thing, the card HAS to swipe through the tills. Some university cards will not swipe and are therefore are not valid. Twice in one day two students had a go because they thought they knew better then us. The first girl was from Sussex University, I explained to her politley and she just wouldn't get the idea. After a long debate with her I turned to my team leader for back up and he confirmed this, in the end the manager let her for a one off have 10% the price (£1.00). I really wish the manager hadn't done this because when I put the payment through she had the smuggest smile on her face, I could have hit her. The second was a student from Westminster Uni, he was the worst one and someone else served him. He argued for atleast 30 minutes over about £1.75, he started shouting at my colleague saying "I go to Westminster University you have to give me discount", and asking "have you ever been to university?". Eventually he left and he didn't get his discount which is good.

So just to clarify make sure the NUS card is valid and swipes. And don't bother arguing.

No, since it's advertised as STUDENT discount you have to take anything that's a student ID. You'd need to state "NUS only" to get away with only offering it to NUS card holders.
Reply 71
mc_hamster

It's got to be the most random film in the world! I know it's getting an important message across to staff, but when they put it on for us we just sat there thinking 'WTF?!'
Well thats what the discount states NUS discount. So it has to be a valid NUS card not a student ID.
kobrakai
It's got to be the most random film in the world! I know it's getting an important message across to staff, but when they put it on for us we just sat there thinking 'WTF?!'

Yeah, I really didn't understand the fact that people were on the street. I've watched it about 10 times and I still don't understand that.
Reply 74
mc_hamster
Yeah, I really didn't understand the fact that people were on the street. I've watched it about 10 times and I still don't understand that.

I only ever watched it once at my induction. It was just one of those 'Ehh, okay then.' things.

Latest

Trending

Trending