The Student Room Group

Studying part time HNC while getting universal credit? Help me!

I can’t believe how the bloody job centre treated me today. So I’m on universal credit.

I got a place in a hnc course, part time, 6 hours a week. Im a mature student age 28.

Too late to apply for Saas now I’ve been told but kindly my parents offered to help me out with the fees which I am grateful for (I planned to pay back via a chunk of my universal credit every month)

Because I don’t have children and I’m not in foster care, I’ve been told I’m not eligible for my UC if I go back to college and study above higher level (which HNC is) - they won’t let me keep my universal credit- even though it’s a PART TIME COURSE

In fact the woman today was so horrible!
She asked me “if you live with your parents what do you need money for”

I have bills, I have rent to contribute towards, food shops. I don’t sponge off my family for my own stuff. I pay my way.

This was all despite me telling her about my seizures, which required me to be hospitalised recently , but nope, she didn’t give a ****.

So I’m probably going to have to not take up my college course, as despite being 6 hours a week, it’s still considered full time to her.

Despite saying I’m happy to volunteer during the other hours!

Not ashamed to say I was very angry , I held it in but I did cry in front of her as I need my UC for my bills, other finances and to keep my independence. She didn’t give a ****. It was a slap in the face.

Going back on Friday and I hope it’s someone else seeing me as she was really, really nasty today despite knowing about my Aspergers and how long I’ve been out of school and what getting into this course means to me!

If ANYONE has any advice on what to say on Friday or ANY ADVICE AT ALL on this matter pleeease let me know!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Lovefromjuliaxo
I can’t believe how the bloody job centre treated me today. So I’m on universal credit.

I got a place in a hnc course, part time, 6 hours a week. Im a mature student age 28.

Too late to apply for Saas now I’ve been told but kindly my parents offered to help me out with the fees which I am grateful for (I planned to pay back via a chunk of my universal credit every month)

Because I don’t have children and I’m not in foster care, I’ve been told I’m not eligible for my UC if I go back to college and study above higher level (which HNC is) - they won’t let me keep my universal credit- even though it’s a PART TIME COURSE

I have bills, I have rent to contribute towards, food shops. I don’t sponge off my family for my own stuff. I pay my way.

This was all despite me telling her about my seizures, which required me to be hospitalised recently , but nope, she didn’t give a ****.

So I’m probably going to have to not take up my college course, as despite being 6 hours a week, it’s still considered full time to her.

Not ashamed to say I was very angry , I held it in but I did cry in front of her as I need my UC for my bills, other finances and to keep my independence. She didn’t give a ****. It was a slap in the face.

Going back on Friday and I hope it’s someone else seeing me as she was really, really nasty today despite knowing about my Aspergers and how long I’ve been out of school and what getting into this course means to me!

If ANYONE has any advice on what to say on Friday or ANY ADVICE AT ALL on this matter pleeease let me know!

The following website offers a lot of advice regarding students and benefits:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
Reply 2
Original post by Lovefromjuliaxo

Ask the college for advice, if they cannot help book an appointment with citizens advice and take all your UC documents and the college course info with you
Hi guys.

It’s all sorted

My other nicer UC woman I see told me I’d still get the money while studying as it’s a evening course

I have written and posted a formal complaint about the other woman I saw who was incredibly rude to me and nasty.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending