The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by Mr M
III.

STEP II has the same content as STEP I.

Thank you.
Original post by bogstandardname
Have you completed it or looking to try it? I'll have a go now.

Don't know, just looked at it and thought... Hmm looks possible :tongue:
Original post by \/ibhav
You changed the colour of your avatar!

Indeed. :colone:
Reply 3983
Q12 of STEP II 1999 looks quite accessible with my S1 knowledge. Might have a go at that later.
Original post by Lord of the Flies

I think you should change it to Cambridge Blue, which college did you get into by the way? I'm still stuck in the pool. :frown:
Original post by Rainingshame
Ok, despite the fact that I will incredibly stupid I'm going to need to ask for help on the Questions from the Help booklet.....
Ok can someone explain to me what the second part of Q9 on the Core mathematics booklet is actually asking?

Maximising the sum of the nth powers bit? It's asking for the same thing as the first part except, instead of maximising 2(x+y), you're trying to maximise 2(x^n + y^n) for n=2 and n=3 (where x and y are the lengths of two orthogonal sides of the rectangle respectively).

Go away, imposter. :wink: YOU'VE CHANGED. :colonhash:
Original post by \/ibhav
I think you should change it to Cambridge Blue, which college did you get into by the way? I'm still stuck in the pool. :frown:

Pembroke. Ah, sorry to hear that - I wish you lots of the luck, and hope you get fished out. :wink:

Original post by Oromis263
Go away, imposter. :wink: YOU'VE CHANGED. :colonhash:

HA! :biggrin:
Original post by Oromis263

Are you now unconditional? If so, what are you doing with your time until Cambridge?
Reply 3989

Just wondering: did you apply to any universities outside the UK?
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Maximising the sum of the nth powers bit? It's asking for the same thing as the first part except, instead of maximising 2(x+y), you're trying to maximise 2(x^n + y^n) for n=2 and n=3 (where x and y are the lengths of two orthogonal sides of the rectangle respectively).

Original post by und
Just wondering: did you apply to any universities outside the UK?

I was going to apply to Trinity Dublin and Ivy League's - but then realised they all ask for transcripts.
Original post by shamika
Are you now unconditional? If so, what are you doing with your time until Cambridge?

I am. I will be working towards my January exams until they finish (FP4 on Jan 30th), then working for as much money as possible, whilst digging into some pure leisure reading into maths and physics, whilst getting on top of all the forms and choices required. Will probably try make a dig into some of the recommended reading for Earth Science and Computer Science before I have to finalise my choices so I can see if they are right for me.

Other than that, I really want to try at least STEP I, I'm curious. I reckon I could scrape a 1, but I'd be happy with a 2. Might aim for a 2 in STEP II if I take that as well. :smile:

On top of that, just getting fit, expeditions to Lakes and Cairngorms hopefully, and then my travel plans on top of that. :biggrin: Plenty to keep me going.

If Cambridge will let me, I'd like to apply for the one week work experience at Cavendish Labs, but I'm not sure if it is sixth form students only. If I'm not in America over summer, then I'd try get a 4-6 week research position at the institute of neurology, UCL.

Quite a lot! :biggrin:
1999 step II question 7

That looks decent too
Reply 3994
I was going to apply to Trinity Dublin and Ivy League's - but then realised they all ask for transcripts.

I don't think maths undergrad is particularly amazing at the Ivies, or so I've heard. The focus is much broader so the actual maths is not as in-depth as in the UK.

How come you haven't applied to anywhere like ENS?

"Aye aye, Captain!" in blue ocean (colour). :tongue:
Original post by und

Because it asks for prépas. (Well, "asks for" is not the most accurate term)
Reply 3997

Trinity :colone:
Original post by und
I don't think maths undergrad is particularly amazing at the Ivies, or so I've heard. The focus is much broader so the actual maths is not as in-depth as in the UK.

That too - I would have only gone there if by some mysterious chain of events I got into to one of them but not into my top choices in the UK.

I get asked this a lot: it doesn't work that way in France. The ENS is not a university, it is a grande école. You don't stand a chance of getting in without having done a prépa (or an undergrad degree, but this is far less common). A prépa is basically a two-year programme (an accelerated degree, in some sense) which prepares you (hence the name) for the entrance exams to the grandes écoles. A prépa is pretty much the most prestigious thing you can do after your Bac - why didn't I apply to any of them? Two reasons: they ask for transcripts, and you cannot do only maths. A Maths prépa includes Physics, Philosophy, and even English - not for me. :biggrin: I'll probably apply to the ENS after I get my degree though.

Original post by jack.hadamard
"Aye aye, Captain!" in blue ocean (colour). :tongue:

Haha! Thought it was an appropriate time to change, and use the month's subscription I got for free. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
1999 step II question 7

That looks decent too

That is in one of Prof. Siklos's booklets, the other question you thought looked easy, was ok once I stopped being a retard.

Latest

Trending

Trending