The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by music lover
Question 11 in the Mathematics booklet is this correct so far in simplifying the Denominator?

αβ+(α+β)xx2\sqrt{-\alpha\beta+(\alpha+\beta)x-x^2} I can't get it to latex properly =/

I haven't seen the question but can you see how you can factorise that expression?
Original post by und
I haven't seen the question but can you see how you can factorise that expression?

Yeah I've done it now :smile:.
I am trying question 4 on STEP 1994, but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

You have to show that tan(0.5x)=(1-cosx)/sinx
So cos(0.5x)=sqrt(0.5(1+cosx)) and sin(0.5x)=sqrt(0.5(1-sinx))
dividing sine by cos, you get
tan(0.5x)=sqrt((1-sinx)/(1+cosx)). I then multiplied top and bottom by sqrt(1-cosx)
this then gives me tan(0.5x)=(sqrt((1-sinx)(1-cosx)))/sinx
This is not the given result so can someone tell me where I have gone wrong. I don't really know how to use latex properly, so I can clarify on some points if you can't understand it.

Don't worry, I know where I went wrong. I used the wrong formula for sin(0.5x). :facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by brittanna
I am trying question 4 on STEP 1994, but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

tan(0.5x)=sqrt((1-sinx)/(1+cosx)). I then multiplied top and bottom by sqrt(1-cosx)
This is not the given result so can someone tell me where I have gone wrong. I don't really know how to use latex properly, so I can clarify on some points if you can't understand it.

cosx2=1+cosx2\cos \dfrac{x}{2}= \sqrt{\dfrac{1+\cos x}{2}} is not always true and sinx21sinx2\sin \dfrac{x}{2}\neq \sqrt{\dfrac{1-\sin x}{2}}

Where are you getting these identities from? :curious:
(edited 11 years ago)

The substitution t = tan(x/2) is an interesting one. Ignoring the present question for the minute, you might try to express cos(x) in terms of t. Then do sin(x). Then draw yourself a triangle.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
cosx21+cosx2\cos \dfrac{x}{2}\neq \sqrt{\dfrac{1+\cos x}{2}} (same for sin)

Where are you getting that from? :curious:

My sine one was wrong, it should have been 1-cosx instead of 1-sinx

If you use the double formulae, you can get them.

So cos2x=2cos^2(x) - 1
Now let x=x/2
Then you get cosx=2cos^2(x/2) - 1
If you rearrange for cos(x/2), you get cos(x/2)=sqrt(0.5(1+cos(x)))
You can do the same for sine as well, except it is 1-cosx instead of 1+cosx
Original post by Aurum
It's because sinx21sinx2 \sin \frac{x}{2} \not= \sqrt{\frac{1- \sin x}{2}} , it's equal to 1cosx2 \sqrt{\frac{1- \cos x}{2}}

Only for 0x2π(4π)0\leq x\leq 2\pi\pod{4\pi}.
(edited 11 years ago)
My sine one was wrong, it should have been 1-cosx instead of 1-sinx

If you use the double formulae, you can get them.

So cos2x=2cos^2(x) - 1
Now let x=x/2
Then you get cosx=2cos^2(x/2) - 1
If you rearrange for cos(x/2), you get cos(x/2)=sqrt(0.5(1+cos(x)))
You can do the same for sine as well, except it is 1-cosx instead of 1+cosx

What I meant was: the cos is not always true. It depends on x. You can't take the square root without saying something about x... (see above)
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm trying to do part 3 of question 11 in the Advanced Mathematics booklet: I got up to the 2nd last part I.E. 1a1b1(1xa)(xb1)dx-\int^{\frac{1}{b}}_\frac{1}{a} \frac{1}{{\sqrt(1-xa)(xb-1)}}dx. The square root is over the whole Denominator.

I can't seem to get to the next step 1a1b1(ab)(xa1)(b1x)dx=πab-\int^{\frac{1}{b}}_\frac{1}{a} \frac{1}{\sqrt(ab)(x-a^{-1})(b^{-1}-x)}dx=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt ab}
Only for 0x2π(4π)0\leq x\leq 2\pi\pod{4\pi}.

I'm probably being stupid, but where does that range come from in relation to this question. Thank you.
I'm probably being stupid, but where does that range come from in relation to this question. Thank you.

What I am pointing out is, it is wrong to write:

cosx=2cos2x21cosx2=cosx+12\cos x=2\cos^2 \dfrac{x}{2}-1\Rightarrow \cos\dfrac{x}{2}=\sqrt{\dfrac{ \cos x +1}{2}}

This is equivalent to writing a2=b2a=ba^2=b^2\Rightarrow a=b

In the post you quoted, I specified for what range the sine equality is true. For any x not in that range, it isn't true, because sin is negative and therefore you would have to add a minus in front of the square root. Clear? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
What I am pointing out is, it is wrong to write:

cosx=2cos2x21cosx2=cosx+12\cos x=2\cos^2 \dfrac{x}{2}-1\Rightarrow \cos\dfrac{x}{2}=\sqrt{\dfrac{ \cos x +1}{2}}

This is equivalent to writing a2=b2a=ba^2=b^2\Rightarrow a=b

In the post you quoted, I specified for what range the sine equality is true. For any x not in that range, it isn't true, because sin is negative and therefore you would have to add a minus in front of the square root. Clear? :smile:
Yeah, thank you. :smile:
After some halo to distract me, I came back to it, and I *think* I've done it.
Will scan it up later, I'm not good enough with tex to type it all in.
Reply 593
Updated. I find it amusing they compare a Distinction to a 1 though.

They don't want to be considered an insurance for Imperial I guess (this is what I was told in a one to one conversation with the admissions tutor). This may not necessarily be the reason of the increase in entry requirements.
Original post by shamika

Any chance you could upload some of that stuff you have for bored people? :smile:
Reply 595
Original post by Blazy
Nerve wracking, 5 people had an offer for Cambridge Maths in the year above and only one made it! Slightly scared at the prospect of applying now aha...

How were their academics?
Reply 596
Original post by Blazy
Nerve wracking, 5 people had an offer for Cambridge Maths in the year above and only one made it! Slightly scared at the prospect of applying now aha...

Do you go to my school?! Six people had an offer and one made it in mine.
Original post by und

Ignoring the possible sarcasm, I think you should consider if maths is the best thing for you.

5 =/= 6 :wink:

That being said, I was trying to work out my A2 maths + fm ums combined percentage, and apparently (98+100)/2 is 97% :colonhash:
Reply 598
Original post by CD315
How were their academics?

Very good by the sounds of things, 90+ in most their modules.

Original post by und

Nope, don't live in London :smile: - teacher tried to persuade me to apply Oxford instead!
Reply 599
Original post by Oromis263
Ignoring the possible sarcasm, I think you should consider if maths is the best thing for you.

5 =/= 6 :wink:

That being said, I was trying to work out my A2 maths + fm ums combined percentage, and apparently (98+100)/2 is 97% :colonhash:

It's possible that one of us got it wrong. Life's not all about Maths, you know. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Original post by Blazy
Very good by the sounds of things, 90+ in most their modules.

Nope, don't live in London :smile: - teacher tried to persuade me to apply Oxford instead!

Do you know if they got much help with STEP? I think the problem in my school was that they were a bit complacent due to the successes of previous years, and didn't have the necessary encouragement from teachers.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending