The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamika
I'm impressed anyone even attempted it! :biggrin:

Ok, rather than x^6, try it with x^4...

thanks,
Don't have anything better to do on a Tuesday evening-except oh wait- finish the philosophy essay that is due before term begins. Procrastination is my speciality..
Here's a nice problem :smile:

The seven dwarfs walk to work each morning in single file. As
they go, they sing their famous song, “High - low - high -low,
it’s off to work we go . . . ”. Each day they line up so that no
three successive dwarfs are either increasing or decreasing in
height. Thus, the line-up must go up-down-up-down- · · · or
down-up-down-up- · · · . If they all have different heights, for
how many days they go to work like this if they insist on
using a different order each day?
What if Snow White always came along too?
Original post by shamika
I'm impressed anyone even attempted it! :biggrin:

Ok, rather than x^6, try it with x^4...

*cough*

RahulS
Lord of the Flies
11+x4  dx\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{1+x^4}\;dx
remember this from somewhere.....oh yh my interview :colone:
Original post by shamika

Please tell me you're kidding? I never got asked anything near as long or as tedious as that!

:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 983
Original post by Lord of the Flies
*cough*

This isn't an interview :biggrin:

PS: did I ever tell you what a great job you did on the first post? It was very easy to find something today when I needed it!
Reply 984
Should I put my marks for my AEA on UCAS or just leave it as the grade?
Original post by Lord of the Flies
*cough*

lol...Shamika...shame on you :tongue:
Original post by shamika
This isn't an interview :biggrin:

PS: did I ever tell you what a great job you did on the first post? It was very easy to find something today when I needed it!

(but it still is tedious :tongue:)

Good! And thanks! :smile:
Reply 987
Original post by und
Should I put my marks for my AEA on UCAS or just leave it as the grade?

I think it depends on whether you're putting your UMS for all your modules; you want to be consistent with these things. If you are; fine. If you aren't...maybe ask to have it on your reference?
Reply 988
Original post by SParm
I think it depends on whether you're putting your UMS for all your modules; you want to be consistent with these things. If you are; fine. If you aren't...maybe ask to have it on your reference?

I put it down for all my A level modules, but AEA is different due to it being a whole qualification rather than just a module. Putting 87/100 would be a bit like putting 596/600 for maths instead of A*. Anyway, I've sent it off now. :biggrin:

I think I'll get my referee to put it on. Is 87 a mark worth mentioning in your opinion? I know someone with 100 in it which kind of gives me a skewed view of things sometimes...
Reply 989
Original post by Blutooth
lol...Shamika...shame on you :tongue:

It's not that bad!

Spoiler

...alright I'll admit it, asking that was mean!
Reply 990
Original post by und
I put it down for all my A level modules, but AEA is different due to it being a whole qualification rather than just a module. Putting 87/100 would be a bit like putting 596/600 for maths instead of A*. Anyway, I've sent it off now. :biggrin:

I think I'll get my referee to put it on. Is 87 a mark worth mentioning in your opinion? I know someone with 100 in it which kind of gives me a skewed view of things sometimes...

No harm either way... I think it's the distinction that matters, rather than the actual score at that level. What it really tells me is that AEA is too easy for both you and the dude getting 100, and STEP would be a far better indication of ability. (Similar to how the A level doesn't really tell us much about the ability of anyone active this thread...)
Original post by shamika
It's not that bad!

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I think that video is pitched a bit above my level of understanding :frown:. Looks interesting though-might have to drop in on some of the mathmo lectures to see how it's done while i'm at uni :smile:
Original post by shamika
It's not that bad!

Spoiler

This takes me back about a year when I was doing a project on complex analysis ( and the residue theorem had a cameo in my interview :colone:)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 993
Original post by Blutooth
Unfortunately, I think that video is pitched a bit above my level of understanding :frown:. Looks interesting though-might have to drop in on some of the mathmo lectures to see how it's done while i'm at uni :smile:

If you have the time, go for it. Complex Analysis is like magic... once you see it, you begin to wonder how you ever did integration without it :wink:
Original post by shamika
Complex Analysis is like magic.

:yes:

While we're on complex analysis....evaluate the integral of (cos x)/(1+x^2) wrt x across R :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 995
Original post by und
Fair enough, I haven't had a look at the mechanics much. However, some of the pure in STEP I honestly seems quite easy. I've used this example before, but 2004 Q2 isn't any harder than one of the harder questions in A level.

And I have no doubt that nearly all of the A-level cohort would be capable of finding one question on most STEP I papers that they can tackle. (Not necessarily the same question, but the examiners usually refer to setting one 'accessible' question per paper to help those who are less confident to settle in.) That means nothing - there are no prizes for answering one question, and the subset of those people who could find another 3 or more questions to answer is - according to the data - pretty small.

Original post by und
I see that there can be quite a few subtleties to a maths question, but this is STEP I we're talking about, not the Tripos or even STEP II.

The difference between STEP I and II & III is in my mind overstated. The topics in II and III are meatier, but often the questions are better focussed. In order to make STEP I questions hard enough, simpler topics are frequently given a 'twist' that can make for a lot of head scratching and dead ends. Don't underestimate STEP I - apart from anything else, it's insulting to the people who are on this thread to prep for STEP I.

Original post by und

I don't see how one can get bogged down in algebra for a mechanics question in STEP I for 50 minutes unless they did something silly like using equations of motion instead of energy where that doesn't make sense.

As you said, you haven't actually done much STEP I mechanics, so I'm not really sure on what basis you're coming to that judgement. Come back when you've done 20-30 mechanics questions from the last 10 years. Many centre on an interesting perspective on the model or a cunning rearrangement of some algebra. If you miss that turning you can have to back track a long way. 'Doing something silly' isn't the problem - and it's pretty patronising to the 1000 good mathematicians who don't walk away with S grades each year that you think that's why they didn't nail the mechanics questions.

Whether you're a brilliant mathematician or not, it's a good idea to treat entrance exams set by people who are much more experienced than you with respect. They know what they are doing.
Reply 996
Original post by LogicGoat

I know this is from one of the Siklos booklets but does anyone know what actual paper (year) this question is from? Thanks :smile:

I made a cross-reference for the Siklos booklet, here: Google docs
Reply 997
woo, 1000th post :biggrin:
Original post by hplj
woo, 1000th post :biggrin:

Pfft. Really?
Original post by Stray
As you said, you haven't actually done much STEP I mechanics, so I'm not really sure on what basis you're coming to that judgement. Come back when you've done 20-30 mechanics questions from the last 10 years. Many centre on an interesting perspective on the model or a cunning rearrangement of some algebra. If you miss that turning you can have to back track a long way. 'Doing something silly' isn't the problem - and it's pretty patronising to the 1000 good mathematicians who don't walk away with S grades each year that you think that's why they didn't nail the mechanics questions.
To be fair, in STEP I mechanics, interpreting the question correctly and drawing a few good diagrams is almost half the answer already.

I don't think that makes it easy... and I think most people actually struggle with that part the most.

Latest

Trending

Trending