The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamika
Are hyperbolic functions not covered in AHs then?

Hmmm... They're more useful in methods (and hence applied courses), so still fairly surprised they wouldn't be covered in a double maths qualification :-/

Nope, hyperbolics don't appear at all in AH, pure or applied. :tongue: It's one of the rare topics that are lacking in AH.
Reply 1181
Original post by und
If somebody spent four hours a day working on their exam technique for English or French for six months, I'd be willing to bet they'd do very well. Conversely, many people who spend that much time on STEP don't do well.

Eh? I don't want to be devil's advocate here but you have to consider the number of factors involved when comparing your preparation for an English literature exam to a STEP exam. It's just not the same thing.

For what it's worth, in general many people don't do enough work for STEP - they are more of a majority - and yes, going by TSR you'd have thought otherwise. However if you start to understand the technique involved in STEP then you stand a much greater chance of success. You really do. Of course, some are much more adept when it comes to Mathematics and can somehow divulge STEP quite easily. Nonetheless, most people are like me and struggle... a lot at the start but gradually grow into the style of the questions. That comes through partly talent but a lot of work too.
Reply 1182
Well at this stage I know no more about hyperbolic trig other than that it exists.

I can see it works - my real question is why make that substitution, rather than some arbitrary variable, a, substituting for (x-1)?

(a+1)a^1/2 is simple to integrate, or even not bother with the substitution if you can cope with it.

Thanks,
Original post by FO12DY
Well at this stage I know no more about hyperbolic trig other than that it exists.

I can see it works - my real question is why make that substitution, rather than some arbitrary variable, a, substituting for (x-1)?

(a+1)a^1/2 is simple to integrate, or even not bother with the substitution if you can cope with it.

Thanks,

The question asks for x2x21dx\displaystyle\int x^2\sqrt{x^2-1}dx, not xx1dx\displaystyle\int x\sqrt{x-1}dx. If you mean substitute for a = x^2 - 1 then you are going to run into trouble with the change from dx to da.
Original post by FO12DY

Thanks,

That substitution doesn't give what you said. Even if you meant a=x21:a=x^2-1:

a=x21da=2x  dxa=x^2-1\Rightarrow da=2x\;dx

So x2x21  dx=12a2+a  da\displaystyle\int x^2\sqrt{x^2-1}\;dx=\frac{1}{2}\int \sqrt{a^2+a}\;da which is certainly not simple to integrate.
Can't believe the irrationality of e+πe+\pi is an open question...
Reply 1186
Original post by ukdragon37
The question asks for x2x21dx\displaystyle\int x^2\sqrt{x^2-1}dx, not xx1dx\displaystyle\int x\sqrt{x-1}dx. If you mean substitute for a = x^2 - 1 then you are going to run into trouble with the change from dx to da.

D'oh. Thank you.

Original post by Lord of the Flies

Why not?

You know what might help solve that? Infinite descen....oh wait, that doesn't help with anything ever.

It seems intuitively obvious I agree.
Reply 1188
Original post by bananarama2
You know what might help solve that? Infinite descen....oh wait, that doesn't help with anything ever.

Consider two irrational numbers that "end" (as a CS applicant, I'm tempted to say the slice [n:] as a neater semantic) in a sequence of digits that sum to 1x10^-whatever.

Suddenly, you know that you are summing two rational numbers: you've just lopped the ends off them.

The solution, now, is quite clearly rational.

So such a proof could be based on knowing that the "ends" of e and pi do not sum to a whole decimal place, wherever it lies.
Original post by FO12DY
Consider two irrational numbers that "end" (as a CS applicant, I'm tempted to say the slice [n:] as a neater semantic) in a sequence of digits that sum to 1x10^-whatever.

Suddenly, you know that you are summing two rational numbers: you've just lopped the ends off them.

So such a proof could be based on knowing that the "ends" of e and pi do not sum to a whole decimal place, wherever it lies.

I don't think I understand what you mean by this, because 1/9 + 2/9 = 0.33... and doesn't stop (yet clearly is rational)...
Original post by bananarama2

:lol: I guess I can take pride in having scarred you for life.

Original post by FO12DY

Why not?

I don't know - just seems weird we have things like algebraic topology, string theory, but haven't managed to show that the sum of two of the most important numbers in mathematics can/can't be written as a fraction of integers...
(edited 11 years ago)
:lol: I guess I can take pride in having scarred you for life.

I don't know - just seems weird we have things like algebraic topology, string theory, but haven't managed to show that the sum of two of the most important numbers in mathematics can't be written as a fraction of integers...

Goldbach, abc (although watch this space!), Collatz... :smile:
Original post by FO12DY

Yes but the irrationality property is more than just a sequence of digits that sum.

I don't see how this proves that pi+e can, or cannot, be written as a/b where a, b are integers. And that is what you have to prove or disprove, because that is the accepted definition of irrationality.
Original post by FO12DY

In addition to shamika's example, the fact that e and pi are irrational means they don't "end". Yet it is possible to prove that adding two irrational/don't-"end" numbers together results in a rational, eg: (2+2)+(22)\left(2+\sqrt{2}\right) + \left(2 - \sqrt{2}\right)
Original post by shamika
Goldbach, abc (although watch this space!), Collatz... :smile:

True, true - but the fact that some of these number theory conjectures (however simple and concise) remain open seems far less surprising than the irrationality of the sum of two known and well studied numbers (to me at least...)
Reply 1195
irrational means they don't "end"

I'm well aware -_-

That's why I used the quotes. By "end", I meant all (infinite) digits after an arbitrary point.
Reply 1196

I don't know - just seems weird we have things like algebraic topology, string theory, but haven't managed to show that the sum of two of the most important numbers in mathematics can't be written as a fraction of integers...

Ah, that's fair enough.
Original post by FO12DY
I'm well aware -_-

That's why I used the quotes. By "end", I meant all (infinite) digits after an arbitrary point.

Oh I misunderstood what you meant, sorry. In that case though there would often be a simpler, non-constructive way because the point which that occurs can be unimaginably big, and it's hard to reason about the decimal expansion of something as opposed to its other properties...

Original post by Llewellyn
Yes but the irrationality property is more than just a sequence of digits that sum.

I don't see how this proves that pi+e can, or cannot, be written as a/b where a, b are integers. And that is what you have to prove or disprove, because that is the accepted definition of irrationality.

He means to prove that there exists an n such that the fraction part of 10ne10^ne and 10nπ10^n\pi sum to a rational. The existence of such n implies 10n(e+π)10^n\left(e + \pi\right) is a rational, hence e+πe + \pi is rational.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1198

He means to prove that there exists an n such that the fraction part of 10ne10^ne and 10nπ10^n\pi sum to an integer (which in fact actually has to be 1), hence 10n(e+π)10^n\left(e + \pi\right) is an integer, iff e+πe + \pi is rational.

That was much more elegant, thank you.

Of course, it wouldn't be the only way - but one case. So I meant it as a conceptual reason that it could be rational, as I originally read LotF's comment as being "surely it would be irrational", rather than the "wow - no one has figured this out yet" that he clarified he meant.
Original post by FO12DY
That was much more elegant, thank you.

Of course, it wouldn't be the only way - but one case. So I meant it as a conceptual reason that it could be rational, as I originally read LotF's comment as being "surely it would be irrational", rather than the "wow - no one has figured this out yet" that he clarified he meant.

Sorry I was having a brain-breakdown. I meant the sums being rational rather than integers. Post edited as above.

Latest

Trending

Trending