The Student Room Group

More student protests incomming...

Poll

Do you support the action that NUS are taking?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18607279

The National Union of Students (NUS) is urging members to take to the streets of London in November in protest at rising fees and reduced employment.

How exactly does one protest against reduced employment..?

Besides, causing havoc in the center of London certainly isn't going to do any good for our economy and economic woes.

The university fee hike is unfair but the current fees are unsustainable. When will they get this through their heads? :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by YB101
I've never been one for protesting but I most definitely will be there. I just don't understand why we must pay so much more with our future looking so uncertain

if anyone actually knows WHY the costs are increasing please let me know :smile:

I think when the fees were around £3k, they were heavily subsidised. Probably can't afford this now; so have to pass the costs on. And I'm sure there's something about uni funding being cut.
Reply 2
They're so cold, these scholars! May lightning strike their food so that their mouths learn how to eat fire!
Reply 3
Original post by YB101
I've never been one for protesting but I most definitely will be there. I just don't understand why we must pay so much more with our future looking so uncertain

if anyone actually knows WHY the costs are increasing please let me know :smile:

Strictly speaking, the cost is not rising. Rather, the government is paying for less. For people taking out loans, the government still pays up front, it's just you have to pay back more later.

I don't support it, but that is what is happening in a nutshell.
Reply 4
Don't support it for the simple reason that those in Government don't care one jot. They ignored the students last time, they'll ignore them this time.

Even on the off chance that this 'demo' [aka 'riot'] is actually organised and doesn't descend into violence it will have no effect whatsoever on Gov piolicy.
This is what water cannons are good for.
Reply 6
In a recession there must be cuts and in terms of immediate finance they shouldn't be affected due to student loans.

As for reduced employment protesting, the NUS is full of Labour party aspirants. Activism is like their debating society!! As such, it is hardly surprising they want to make a fuss over whatever makes them look good at the time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Oh FFS, not more pointless protesting :facepalm2:
Reply 8
I don't agree with the violence but I am definitely going. Turning up there is better than sitting at home and doing nothing.
Reply 9
NUS :rolleyes:

The only thing you are good for is a discount card, beyond that you're as useful and intelligent as a jellyfish in an armchair.
Reply 10
Original post by criminal
I don't agree with the violence but I am definitely going. Turning up there is better than sitting at home and doing nothing.

Can't you get on with some studying for next year? :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
Don't support it for the simple reason that those in Government don't care one jot. They ignored the students last time, they'll ignore them this time.

Even on the off chance that this 'demo' [aka 'riot'] is actually organised and doesn't descend into violence it will have no effect whatsoever on Gov piolicy.

Gets you kudos if you want a career in Labour or the unions though :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by ForKicks
Gets you kudos if you want a career in Labour or the unions though :wink:

Yeah, they're big on people throwing fire extinguishers off buildings :wink:
Reply 13
Can't you get on with some studying for next year? :tongue:

Lol I start uni in September
Reply 14
Original post by criminal
Lol I start uni in September

Pre-reading! Absolutely everyone does that before starting, lol.
Reply 15
As far as I see it, university is part of the education system and if politicians believed in everyone being able to get the education they deserve, then the fees would be removed entirely. Yes, there are bursaries etc but these do not remove the barriers to entry entirely for poorer students.

If I could ask the Government one thing, as our population continues to increase, will we also have to start paying for sixth form, then secondary school, then primary school as education becomes increasingly "unaffordable"?!
don't support it but a day off is a day off :h:
Reply 17
Original post by Laalalala
As far as I see it, university is part of the education system and if politicians believed in everyone being able to get the education they deserve, then the fees would be removed entirely. Yes, there are bursaries etc but these do not remove the barriers to entry entirely for poorer students.

If I could ask the Government one thing, as our population continues to increase, will we also have to start paying for sixth form, then secondary school, then primary school as education becomes increasingly "unaffordable"?!

People can. It is called student loan and grant.

No. It is accepted that most countries with top uni's charge their students. It also seems accepted that up to 18 is the right level of 100% state funded education.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by tehFrance
don't support it but a day off is a day off :h:

Not sure you get a day off out of it :tongue:
Not sure you get a day off out of it :tongue:

Well if students are striking in general then why not take a day off? I took so many off last year it won't make the slightest difference this year :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending