The Student Room Group

Interracial relationship vs Parents' thoughts

If you are Asian Oriental ( girls/ guys ), would you date a non Oriental guy/ girl and what do you think your parents would say ?
If you are non Oriental, would you date an Oriental guy/ girl and what do you think your parents would say?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not Oriental but if I brought an Oriental girl home I think my parents would be delighted I had a girlfriend. :tongue:

They probably have an idea of what my girlfriends should look like based on past experiences and the girls I hang around with so obviously bringing home an Oriental girl may be a surprise at first but they would still be very welcoming and accepting as would most parents. Too much emphasis is placed on race nowadays but I think the majority of people judge other people for who they are, not the colour of their skin. :biggrin:
Reply 2
I have never had a relationship of any kind with a girl of my own race, and I'm a big family person; I like to bring a girl back to the family house and meet everybody, have a good time etc.

I'm lucky that my family is already very diverse and race is a non issue, but even if it weren't, tough ****, I will see who I want.
Reply 3
Im an Oriental guy and I would definitely like to date a white girl because I have always been into them. My mum is a tiny bit iffy about it but in general, both my parents dont really care. There doesnt seem to be any white girls that go for Oriental guys though. :sad:
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Smurf
Im an Oriental guy and I would definitely like to date a white girl because I have always been into them. My mum is a tiny bit iffy about it but in general, both my parents dont really care. There doesnt seem to be any white girls that go for Oriental guys though. :sad:

I know what you meant! Oriental parents all deep down inside what their kids to go out with another Oriental person...

Noooo!!! Let's me tell you this as a girl who is surrounded by at least 99% white girl friends. they mostly think they are usually attracted to Oriental guys.... For some reasons. you guys assume that they are not....
Original post by Mr Smurf

Do you not get bored of saying the same thing all the time? I sure as hell get bored reading it.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
If you are Asian Oriental ( girls/ guys ), would you date a non Oriental guy/ girl and what do you think your parents would say ?
If you are non Oriental, would you date an Oriental guy/ girl and what do you think your parents would say?

I'm not Oriental, but I wouldn't mind dating an Oriental girl (or any other race for that matter)

My parents wouldn't mind, but they might be a bit amused, but I highly doubt they'd say anything
My parents aren't too keen on me dating someone who is non black, but all the men I've dated have been white! As my mum discovered this week and said to my dad ''We can not choose our children's partners, so long as they are happy, who are we to judge?'' . . .Glad she has got the hint, even if my dad still has his head stuck up his own backside! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I'd totally date an oriental guy! Secretly my "type" haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Ciaran88
I have never had a relationship of any kind with a girl of my own race, and I'm a big family person; I like to bring a girl back to the family house and meet everybody, have a good time etc.

I'm lucky that my family is already very diverse and race is a non issue, but even if it weren't, tough ****, I will see who I want.

I agree, race shouldn't be an issue in a relationship.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I know what you meant! Oriental parents all deep down inside what their kids to go out with another Oriental person...

Noooo!!! Let's me tell you this as a girl who is surrounded by at least 99% white girl friends. they mostly think they are usually attracted to Oriental guys.... For some reasons. you guys assume that they are not....

There are valid reasons for that. Look at the way East Asian males are portrayed by western media, Hollywood, films; short, nerdy, broken English, weak, foreign etc.

In the UK specfically, look at how Chinese people are portrayed in the media (especially the Daily Mail); dog eaters, DVD sellers, illegal immigrants, communists, take away owners, etc. There are literally 0 positive representations of East Asian males in the UK.

Its not by any stretch of the imagination that the large majority of people are subliminally influenced by such negative connotations. Why do you think that the # of oriental women in relationships with white men is much higher than the opposite?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I don't like mixing races so i prefer girls from my own
Reply 12
I'm a non-oriental guy and would definitely date an oriental girl, race isn't a issue. Aesthetically I find oriental girls attractive though, personal preference I guess. My parents wouldn't even mention it, it matters that little.
I am an Oriental girl dating an Indian guy. My parents like him but they are worried about my future because his family is way too traditional. He has to go home every other weekend. So if we move in together, I can only see him 24 days out of 30 days in a month on average. He is gone from Friday to Sunday. :confused: It really bothers me.

I would say Oriental parents are much more accepting than South East Asian parents.
My parents wouldn't care.

Why on earth would it be an issue?
Reply 15
My mom wouldnt be bothered.
My dad, he wonders why ive not had a boyfriend for years, he would never talk to me again if he knew.
Im 22, white and have rarely been with a white guy since i was 16/17. Im attracted to black guys, but some oriental guys are nice.
Original post by Ciaran88

I agree, it really shouldn't be an issue, but some people turn it into an issue.

You say you've never had a relationship with anyone of your own race; which races have you dated?

(Sorry if I asked that in a weird way)
Reply 17
Original post by Dee Leigh
I agree, it really shouldn't be an issue, but some people turn it into an issue.

You say you've never had a relationship with anyone of your own race; which races have you dated?

(Sorry if I asked that in a weird way)

Actually now I think about it, they have all been black girls bar one arabic girl.
Reply 18
What about international relationships?
Reply 19
Original post by Rastafari
Stereotypes matter. But blacks have negative stereotypes too and don't struggle even nearly as often as East Asian men.

Go on a campus with a higher percentage of East Asian foreign exchange students. What do they do? Only keep to themselves.
East Asian guys in general are very, very shy and kinda beta. Blaming the media will get you nowhere.

I'm not a foreign exchange student you ****ing stupid jackass. The stereotypes aren't comparable. And yes I know blaming the media will get you no where, I'm just writing down where one of the primary sources of stereotypes come from, idiot. But its undeniable that media portrayals contribute largely towards interracial relationships.

Edit: And lol at you talking about stereotypes yet you stereotype yourself.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending