The Student Room Group

Didn't do very well at all

Hey guys. So I'm in my first year of university and I received the grades on my modules this morning. I got 42, 52, 48 and 40, which I know is barely a pass (or a third, I think?) My tutor when emailing me the results added that "Maybe we should talk about next year to see what we should do", and I'm feeling pretty down about it all. I knew these results weren't going to be great but it's still pretty depressing, and I'm stuck thinking maybe I shouldn't be at university next year if I can only barely pass first year like this.

He mentioned that some of my essays were OK, but my exams were weak, and I'm so conflicted at the moment about continuing with my degree. I would rather quit now than finish with a third or a fail overall. What makes it worse is that everyone else I know in uni was able to finish with a first or 2:1. What should I do?
Go and speak to your tutor, as suggested. They will have a fair idea (as, I suspect, do you) of what has gone wrong this year, and will be able to support you to improve your grades next year.
If your exams are the problem, maybe you should speak to your tutor about exam technique? If the essays are OK then that's good! What subject is it and is it something you enjoy doing?
Reply 3
Well, those marks are a little low, but that's no reason to give up. So what if everyone else you know seems to have done better - you obviously don't know those who are doing much worse!!

And don't "should" on yourself!

Yes, find out the evidence why first and take advice. It could be exam technique, communication difficulties, perhaps the others worked harder and went out less? Or maybe they did an A-level in the subject and have an advantage because they found it easier so far.

You never know, you may end up doing better in the long run as a result.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Everyone ****s up the first year - it usually doesn't count much towards your overall degree classification, and let's be honest, you're only a fresher once.

Enjoy your summer, because you're going to be working your *******s off next year, aren't you?
Reply 5
Don't be downhearted, it's only your first year. I got a low 2.2 first year and came out with a 1st in the third. You'll develop as a student throughout uni, pick up on revision/essay techniques and find ways to pick up marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending