The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL-KCL differences in medicine?

Hi, I am thinking of applying to UCL and KCL for medicine but I am not sure what the signficant differences between them are. I heard KCL is located near several major hospitals and still do dissections of bodies.

Is anyone in the same position? I think on the guardians league table they were ranked joint 15th or so, but thats not very accurate being the guardian... Anyway do any medical students know why UCL may be better at KCL in medicine and vice versa?
Reply 1
Hi! I have offers from both and can't decide which one to go for, but the differences that I'm aware of are:
UCL - 6 years, intercalated year is part of the course
KCL - 5 years, intercalated year is an option if you want to do it
UCL - need BMAT (this year anyway, I think this is all changing for next year)
I think they both do dissections.
In the Times, they are both ranked 15=.
In the Guardian, UCL is 4th, and KCL is 9th.
(Although I don't know reliable these league tables are...)
If anyone can add anymore, I'd appreciate it too!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
newbie06
Hi! I have offers from both and can't decide which one to go for, but the differences that I'm aware of are:
UCL - 6 years, intercalated year is part of the course
KCL - 5 years, intercalated year is an option if you want to do it
UCL - need BMAT (this year anyway, I think this is all changing for next year)
I think they both do dissections.
In the Times, they are both ranked 15=.
In the Guardian, UCL is 4th, and KCL is 9th.
(Although I don't know reliable these league tables are...)
If anyone can add anymore, I'd appreciate it too!

well i dont think you should take into consideration rankings, since it really doesnt matter for medicine.
Reply 3
thnx for the help, keep it comin. By the way what do you mean when you say rankings dont matter for medicine ba ba 1?
Reply 4
well there's like a 3% difference between the top 15, really.
Reply 5
little_woozie
thnx for the help, keep it comin. By the way what do you mean when you say rankings dont matter for medicine ba ba 1?

well as far as i'm aware it doesnt make a difference in terms of job prospects. Whether you graduate from imperial/ucl or brighton/peninsula, you will still be a qualified doctor and thats all that matters.
Reply 6
Do you think the job cuts at Royal Free (480 posts) is going to affect the training at UCL?
Reply 7
ba_ba1
well as far as i'm aware it doesnt make a difference in terms of job prospects. Whether you graduate from imperial/ucl or brighton/peninsula, you will still be a qualified doctor and thats all that matters.

Are you sure there's not an unproportionally large amount of IC grads at Harley Street? (It's not a rethorical question - I have no idea whatsoever).

Latest

Trending

Trending