The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mad Vlad
That it's grim.

LOL! well you may want to read the links I posted before.
Reply 21
Rugby league
Deep fried mars bars
Original post by Fusion
Rugby league
Deep fried mars bars

Interestingly (or maybe not, but bear with me), I'm a Northerner and have never had a deep-fried Mars bar so I thought I'd make my own.

This is what I got when I tried to fry one bar:

IMG_0104[1].jpg

Obliterated.
Midlands here!

I picture a man named Gary, wearing a football shirt, and eating curry or fish and chips :biggrin:
Bang-on accurate so far.
Loads of different accents - Scouse, Manc, Lancashire, Sheffield, Lincoln, Leeds/Bradford, Middlesbrough, Geordie, Sunderland - love them all :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by -aimz
They all loooove football to the extent that their life's worth depends on it. They also love Oasis.

I hate football and I dislike Oasis, so do all my friends for both.

Most people I know aren't football fans but don't dislike it -_-
Reply 27
Original post by prog2djent
Friendlier, yes. You can nod to anyone on the street and you will get a nod or "hello", "orite?" back, my first expirience of the south was saying morning to someone walking past and them giving me this weird look like I'm some stalker.

this might be from me being a total southerner, but why would you want to say hi or nod to a stranger walking past you? :confused:

are you talking like in an village or where you see the same faces all the time?
Reply 28
Original post by M4LLY
Can't think of any stereotypes for t'north off of the top of my head

It doesn't work like that hahahah.

You could say, "are you off t'north"?.

But for before reducing the to t' sounds really odd.
Chavs
Reply 30
Original post by cl_steele
Whenever i hear my friends think of northeners they seem to think of larger than averege people who drink like its going out of fashion :rolleyes:

This is especially true for South Yorkshire and coastal tourist destinations like Scarborough and Bridlington. But I was talking to my friend the other week about how there are hardly any fat or even chubby people at college, like a ratio of slim to obese is 200 to 1. Serisouly
Reply 31
Original post by Luxray
Really? God you need to come to Wigan haha.

There are so many drunk people in my village its insane, they are friendly drunks though, as in village people, not yobs.

And walking around leeds there are hardly any.
Reply 32
Original post by Fusion

1. Rugby league
2. Deep fried mars bars

1. Yes
2. Never had one, I don't think anyone I know has, and I wouldn't even know where to find any. And the chip shops I've been in (around 8) non of them have it on the board.
Reply 33
Original post by -aimz
They all loooove football to the extent that their life's worth depends on it. They also love Oasis.

Very true!
Reply 34
Original post by #JayJay
this might be from me being a total southerner, but why would you want to say hi or nod to a stranger walking past you? :confused:

are you talking like in an village or where you see the same faces all the time?

Anyone, whether in my village or in town (huddersfield) or in the city (Leeds), not in the middle of the day to commuters, but say you are walking past one person and its late, early, not crowded etc
Reply 35
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Chavs

Rochdale, Bradford, Dewsbury, Manchester, Salford, Rotherham, Barnsley, Hull, Sheffield outskirts ..... the number in those classic chav areas does not equal the amount in London hahahah
Reply 36
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Loads of different accents - Scouse, Manc, Lancashire, Sheffield, Lincoln, Leeds/Bradford, Middlesbrough, Geordie, Sunderland - love them all :biggrin:

Bradford accent is disgusting. So moany. Caaaaaar paaaaark
Reply 37
Original post by prog2djent
Anyone, whether in my village or in town (huddersfield) or in the city (Leeds), not in the middle of the day to commuters, but say you are walking past one person and its late, early, not crowded etc

haha I still don't understand. but I guess it's a northern thing...

going to university has taught me that I should say thanks to the bus driver, it's something that i've never seen back home
stupid ugly uncouth angry yobs stupid chavvy violent

*not necessarily my opinions*
Reply 39
People here shouldn't understimate how much Influence Indian/Pakistani immigrants have had on Yorkshire, particularly W.Yorkshire. There are more curry houses and quasi-pizza takeaways than there are chip shops or pastry outlets like greggs, hadfields, or independent stores, even caffe's. It has had a big impact on the Bradford accent as well, first thing you will notive about any young white people is that they have a Yorkshire-Asian tone, really.

Latest