The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

The beds in Bristol’s Manor Hall

I’m on a budget so only looking at the cheapest accommodation and I’m between Manor Hall and Unite House to put as my first option. At first I was going to put Unite House first as it’s the more modern option with nicer looking rooms but I heard that Manor Hall has a more traditional uni experience because they hold formals and are a bit more active on the social side which I’d really like to experience.

I’m not concerned with noise I think this is just a given in student halls but can anyone who’s at Bristol tell me about the beds at Manor?? In the photos they look like flimsy camp beds! I can cope with noise if my bed is comfy but I think both would be too much. I think that’s the only thing making me hesitate putting first choice.

Can anyone tell me if the beds are really that flimsy looking or if the photos are just old and actually have been updated??
Reply 1
Original post by orla1964
I’m on a budget so only looking at the cheapest accommodation and I’m between Manor Hall and Unite House to put as my first option. At first I was going to put Unite House first as it’s the more modern option with nicer looking rooms but I heard that Manor Hall has a more traditional uni experience because they hold formals and are a bit more active on the social side which I’d really like to experience.

I’m not concerned with noise I think this is just a given in student halls but can anyone who’s at Bristol tell me about the beds at Manor?? In the photos they look like flimsy camp beds! I can cope with noise if my bed is comfy but I think both would be too much. I think that’s the only thing making me hesitate putting first choice.

Can anyone tell me if the beds are really that flimsy looking or if the photos are just old and actually have been updated??

the 'flimsy camp beds' in the picture are more like 3/4 beds and not every room has them. most of the beds are more robust and are single size. most people found the mattress quite hard and uncomfortable but I personally didn't find this an issue. people ik who did just bought a mattress topper and it was fine. noise varies depending on your room. and which annex you're in I guess.
most accoms will hold formals and if they don't, you can still attend another as a guest accompanying one of their residents in some cases (this may cost more). manor didn't really hold any other formals aside from the winter and summer one which pretty much every JCR organises. some may choose to put more money into the formals (one of my friends had theirs near the ss great britain), some may put it into one-off socials or drinking parties.

speaking of the JCR, they are apparently getting a budget cut next year - someone told me it was so they could renovate the communal spaces but idk. so whether they have the money to put formals together (without you having to pay more for a ticket) is questionable. so don't choose purely based on formals as that is technically down to each accom's JCR. unless I'm mistaken the only one which has the traditional formals etc is Wills hall (north village is generally/stereotypically more social) and although it's pricey I believe there is a scholarship which can lower the price.

if you're really into formals, there is a traditional one at the end of the year called the Constitution ball and is held at the end of summer semester. it's held in Goldney hall, so you get the grounds for it too. pretty sure that one isn't organised by the JCR and tickets last year were around £30 including a meal and drinks or some sort (I didn't attend, but if you look on instagram I'm sure you'll find it).
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
^just looked it up and the scholarship I mentioned about Wills is called the Wills Hall 101 scholarship.
Original post by Anonymous
the 'flimsy camp beds' in the picture are more like 3/4 beds and not every room has them. most of the beds are more robust and are single size. most people found the mattress quite hard and uncomfortable but I personally didn't find this an issue. people ik who did just bought a mattress topper and it was fine. noise varies depending on your room. and which annex you're in I guess.
most accoms will hold formals and if they don't, you can still attend another as a guest accompanying one of their residents in some cases (this may cost more). manor didn't really hold any other formals aside from the winter and summer one which pretty much every JCR organises. some may choose to put more money into the formals (one of my friends had theirs near the ss great britain), some may put it into one-off socials or drinking parties.

speaking of the JCR, they are apparently getting a budget cut next year - someone told me it was so they could renovate the communal spaces but idk. so whether they have the money to put formals together (without you having to pay more for a ticket) is questionable. so don't choose purely based on formals as that is technically down to each accom's JCR. unless I'm mistaken the only one which has the traditional formals etc is Wills hall (north village is generally/stereotypically more social) and although it's pricey I believe there is a scholarship which can lower the price.

if you're really into formals, there is a traditional one at the end of the year called the Constitution ball and is held at the end of summer semester. it's held in Goldney hall, so you get the grounds for it too. pretty sure that one isn't organised by the JCR and tickets last year were around £30 including a meal and drinks or some sort (I didn't attend, but if you look on instagram I'm sure you'll find it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending