The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by #JayJay
this might be from me being a total southerner, but why would you want to say hi or nod to a stranger walking past you? :confused:

are you talking like in an village or where you see the same faces all the time?

I think people in the North are more likely to say hi or talk to people at the bus stop or on the bus or in queues ect. basically in places where you're just waiting around. Well that's how it is in Newcastle.
Reply 61
Original post by Shannine
I think people in the North are more likely to say hi or talk to people at the bus stop or on the bus or in queues ect. basically in places where you're just waiting around. Well that's how it is in Newcastle.

that's fair enough I guess. you can start a convo by complaining about the buses haha. people would do that here as well though.

speaking of Newcastle, I need to spend a weekend there :P
Reply 62
Two Yorkshiremen were sitting in the kitchen playing I Spy.

"I spy with my little eye summat beginnin' wi' T"
"Table"
"Nay"
"Tablecloth"
"Nay"
"Teapot"
"Nay"
"Teabag"
"Nay"
"Well wor is it then?"
"T'oven"
lol I guess I'm not a stereotype then. I'm not a chav, I don't put gravy on my chips, I hate mars bars and wouldn't know where to buy a fried one even if you paid me, I don't speak in a "bradford-yorkshire-asian" accent, nor do I insert t' into my sentences all over the place. I don't like football, and I'm not obsessed with pies and pasties (I don't MIND pies and pasties, but I don't have them very often). Also I don't drink an abnormal amount - in fact I only have alcohol once every couple of months.

I'm quite friendly though. I say hi to people if I'm out walking the dog lol.

Any other stereotypes? lol

And if anybody is wondering where I'm from, I lived in Leeds from age 3 until age 26, and have lived in Barnsley now for the past 2 years.
Northen middle aged women call people lov'eh and northeners love pies and pasties
Nothern stereotypes?
Fat (with no neck), loud, blunt, bone idle and a fondness for pies and chips in gravy.

I have a lot of really good friends from the Midlands (which Southerners often call 'North'), but I feel that this is the Southern perception of Notherners.
Reply 66
Original post by Bellissima
stupid ugly uncouth angry yobs stupid chavvy violent

*not necessarily my opinions*

I'm reeaaally northern (Newcastle area) and i'm classy as ****. :cool:
Original post by Wirral
Two Yorkshiremen were sitting in the kitchen playing I Spy.

"I spy with my little eye summat beginnin' wi' T"
"Table"
"Nay"
"Tablecloth"
"Nay"
"Teapot"
"Nay"
"Teabag"
"Nay"
"Well wor is it then?"
"T'oven"

Seriously laughed so ****ing hard. Repped.
Original post by #JayJay
I think we do, but just not in London...well at least not central london and my part of london

Probably to do with the separate set of doors for getting on and off on London Buses. Not really an excuse for not saying thank you but the dds are he wouldn't hear you anyway.
Reply 69
Original post by prog2djent
Bradford accent is disgusting. So moany. Caaaaaar paaaaark

London accents can be annoying too. Its 'ask' not 'aks'. Its 'bath' not 'barth' and 'chance' not chaunce' and 'water' not 'wutah' :tongue:
Having said that in general I don't mind the southern accent too much. Some northerners have some annoying ones like saying the word 'me' after sentences e.g. 'i dont like it me'
Reply 70
Original post by #JayJay
that's fair enough I guess. you can start a convo by complaining about the buses haha. people would do that here as well though.

speaking of Newcastle, I need to spend a weekend there :P

Haha you should! It's a pretty nice place my opinion might be slightly biased though :P

When i've been down South i've always thought it doesn't feel as friendly as the North but that might just be me. The only stereotypical things about me are i love football & i go to Greggs quite often, although i never buy pasties or pies. I also hate rugby.
Original post by prog2djent
Have you ever been to Shipley, Manningham or Odsal?

Yeah im not far from odsal.
Reply 72
[video="youtube;Cwxu3jVJLdA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwxu3jVJLdA[/video]

Latest