The Student Room Group

Why do people hate others that are different than them?

A lot of people will hate others that are different than them, like their skin color, race, gender, sexuality, nationality, religion, etc...

When we was born, we knew absolutely nothing about the world. As we start to actually see the world around us, we wonder how did we get here, we had no choice if we wanted to exist or not, what family we was born in, where we was born, what we looked like, or what race we were going to born in.

As we start to grow, we start learning things. A lot of things that have happened in the past. Our parents, family members, friends, teachers, even the media will influence us as we grow. They fill our heads with things that are good and bad for them, but it is our choice if we believe what is really justice. We grow and we harbor this hatred for people that are different than us.

If you're a white person, will you say "I hate black people", if you're a black person, will you say "I hate white people"? If someone have hatred for anyone that is not of their race or have a different skin color, please tell me why. I don't actually comprehend this, I don't see how you can hate another person because of their skin color. I still wouldn't understand if someone say that they have been through hardships because of a specific group of people that share the same race and skin color. Why should anyone hold this kind of hatred towards everyone of their race if they don't like a few? It should be obvious that they had no choice of how they were born in this world.

Many people will say that they hate a specific nation and the people inside that nation, for what reason?! Is it because you don't like how their government is set up or because of stereotypes of people in that nation? This is most likely the influence of the media, or a person can get an experience for themselves. Does that really convince you that everyone inside that nation is like that though?

Some people, especially men, are sexist. I guess it is not necessarily hatred in this, but it can also be included. For a very long time, men think that they should be "dominant" and the women should do anything they ask them to. Women shouldn't be treated like crap, aren't they the one that give life? It is not like we choose our gender, so why should they have to suffer because their reproductive system is different than males? This will only build up the hatred that some females will have for males.

Social class is important to most people. A lot of people wants to be rich and live the good life. There are only two type of people in this world, the ones that are being controlled and have little to no freedom "Lower class" and the ones that control others "Upper class". Most people don't even work for their riches, but it gets passed down to them from their parents or grandparents, but they will think the lower class is beneath them, for what reason? These people never had to work for anything in their life, they just get what they want and treat others like crap. It is most likely that the lower class is the one that is making them keep their riches. The upper class can get away with almost anything, but that wouldn't be the same for the lower class, is this fair?

A lot of people hate gays and lesbians because of they want to be with a person of the same sex. Why does it bother people so much? If they are happy with who they are with, shouldn't they stay with that person? I don't understand why people will make it their endeavor to ban gay marriages, I don't see the point of that. This is the act of stupid man-made laws, even though it is laws, is it really justice? People criticize gays because of their sexuality. It is not an easy thing to be in this society, but these people find happiness this way.

For a long time, people have hated others for being in a different religion or being in the "wrong" religion. There have been wars because of religion, but does it matter? I know that religion is a choice, but sometimes, people are forced into a religious belief or they could lose their life. No matter what the case may be, I don't see any reason to hate someone just because they believe in something that you don't. Most People choose a religion that will make them feel happy in their life, they are looking for some kind of guidance of how to live. Personally, I'm not in a religion because I don't see the need of having any. I will describe myself as an atheist, but I will not hate another person who believes that there is a deity. Would anyone say they hate me just because my lack of belief in a god? A lot of religions is hated on, but every religion hates atheist the most.

Sometimes people will hate others for their color of their hair, if it is long or not, the texture it is. They will even hate them for being too short or tall. They will criticize people for having some kind of deformity. Why are humans like this? Has anyone ever stop and think how these people are hurting inside because of this hatred?

There will also be people who are jealous of others, why does jealousy really exist? each human beings existence is only a temporary one and nothing about a human being lasts forever,whoever its wealth physical appearance, beauty etc so why bother about these things?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Humans are communal animals. In our distant history we always hunted, ate, and lived in groups. We never accepted individuals and those who generally kept themselves to themselves. So naturally we do that now. And don't be fooled by the thinking that we are supposedly smarter now than we were back then. We know more about the world, but we still hang onto those same believes that have been imparted upon us by the previous generations.
It is only ignorant people who have prejudices against other people who are different to them.
I think a lot of it is to do with that as kids we are taught to fear/be wary of anything unusual, not to mention the constant bombardment of how we should look from the media.

Luckily, most people grow out of this and learn to look past the things that really don't matter like colour/religion/weight ect.

It's everyone being different that makes the world a fun place to be and only ridiculously narrow minded people would think different :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending