The Student Room Group

I'm freaking out.

Ughh, okay. So I'm seriously stuck on what to study at university, and we're now writing personal statements and I have no idea what direction to go in!

I wanted to be a doctor, then a lawyer, now I want to real estate but I'm seriously considering just generalising and doing business studies.

BUT I HAVEN'T TAKEN BUSINESS AT A LEVEL! :frown:((((((((

I take English Language, English Literature, Chemistry and Performance Studies. I asked my teacher about whether to drop a subject and do business, but she said that because most of my subjects are creative, Chemistry throws in a curve ball and shows that I have logical thinking... which I'm doubting because of this scenario!

But thing is, I've only really realised halfway through AS that I want to do something business related because I enjoy it and I'd enjoy the lifestyle.

I seriously don't know what to do because either way, I'm applying for courses I have no experience in at A Level. I did BTEC Business at GCSE level and got 2 A's (Distinction) but that's it! :/
Original post by RealHousewives
Ughh, okay. So I'm seriously stuck on what to study at university, and we're now writing personal statements and I have no idea what direction to go in!

I wanted to be a doctor, then a lawyer, now I want to real estate but I'm seriously considering just generalising and doing business studies.

BUT I HAVEN'T TAKEN BUSINESS AT A LEVEL! :frown:((((((((

I take English Language, English Literature, Chemistry and Performance Studies. I asked my teacher about whether to drop a subject and do business, but she said that because most of my subjects are creative, Chemistry throws in a curve ball and shows that I have logical thinking... which I'm doubting because of this scenario!

But thing is, I've only really realised halfway through AS that I want to do something business related because I enjoy it and I'd enjoy the lifestyle.

I seriously don't know what to do because either way, I'm applying for courses I have no experience in at A Level. I did BTEC Business at GCSE level and got 2 A's (Distinction) but that's it! :/

You shouldn't need a Business Studies A-level to do business at university, just as you don't need a Law A-level to do Law.

You need to show evidence of intelligence and the ability to work hard, which those subjects do.

You will also need to demonstrate an interest in/aptitude for business, but you can do this outside the A-level.

To be honest, doing a Business Studies A-level might even hurt your chances, as some places see it as a softer subject.

Also what do you mean by 'I'd enjoy the lifestyle'? You need to be wary about having a false view of business life drawn from perceptions of business in the media etc. You don't want to do the business equivalent of applying for to study law because you enjoyed Silk.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending