The Student Room Group

University of the People

http://www.uopeople.org/groups/tuition-free-education

I've looked into this place and its a genuine place that offers genuinely free degree courses, bar the very low application and exam fees....think this could ever catch on? I highly doubt 'university of the people' would be taken seriously on a CV, but it IS a bachelor degree, and I guess it shows some level of discipline in the same way as the OU....but free....Considering joining up just for business course for the sake of it to be honest, and if it turns out to be any good, I'll be an ambassador for free education. :biggrin:

They're NOT accredited, however, its a good idea, a good cause, you still learn from it as its a structured program. Although they're applying for accreditation, I doubt they'd be granted it though as its not a money spinner for the Government. For that reason alone, I can imagine the quality being better than say a ex-poly uni course.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Smells dodgy to me
The organization has gained the widespread support of ... over 730,000 people on Facebook

I'm sold.
Reply 3
Lol. Look at the bigger picture, the cause. You're sold on the indoctrined rubbish the government shoves down your throat. Hence the sarky replies and all the current issues around education/employability etc.
Sounds like at least a half decent alternative to not going to uni because of financial troubles.
Reply 5
I'm not for a minute saying its the 'real deal' in terms of accredability/reputation etc, and although it will get your an associate degree that isn't recognised by most of those at the top, it still follows an academic structure set by academics who are doing this to allow access for all. There are still modules to cover, assessments to take etc, etc, and although not accredited like other distance learning places i.e. the OU, surely it screams out to employers that you're still interested in learning/disciplined/etc, even if you chose not to go down the traditional route of a conventional university. I know quite a lot of people who run companies, including realtives, and although I believe they're wrong in that most of them would NOT touch a graduate (for MANY reasons), they're quite open to the idea of this, as it shows commitment, willingness to learn for learnings sake and not just to try and jump into a £30k salary with the wrong attitude and no experience, and it can be done whilst working/getting experience at extremely little cost.

We need more people to create/push for things like this and it could catch on. Remember, education should be free, but we've been conned into paying thousands for things we could learn from a book ourselves.

Think of it like mainstream software programs like Microsoft Office, Adobe who charge obscene amounts for their software, tie you down with licences etc, whilst you have open-source programs that do it for passion, charge little or nothing, i.e. OpenOffice, Inkscape, free to use and distribute for all, and can do pretty much all of what the mainstream stuff can do, even if it's a slightly different way.

http://www.uopeople.org/groups/partners/hp
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending