The Student Room Group

Your experiences of these A levels

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't drop it AS- I found it an advantage when applying for law- and I loved the subject. It all depends on the exam board I think, but in my second year for OCR I did criminal law and loved it. I think if you drop it- it wouldn't look good on an application...
Reply 101
Original post by Alkain1607
I wouldn't drop it AS- I found it an advantage when applying for law- and I loved the subject. It all depends on the exam board I think, but in my second year for OCR I did criminal law and loved it. I think if you drop it- it wouldn't look good on an application...

But you just said it wasnt good for applying to Russel Group unis? Your confusing me :confused:
Sorry, no. They may say it is but they don't mean it.
Original post by chelseafan
For anyone who has recently done any of these A levels i would just like your opinions. I just want your overall thoughts. Negatives? Positives? Overall difficulty? Jump up from GCSE? Suitability for university?

Accounting
Maths
History
Economics
Law
Biology
Buisness Studies

I'm definitely picking economics and History, but im not too sure on the other two. Also hoping to do a law degree.

I did Maths, Economics & Biology from that list.

Maths- HUGE step up from GCSE, only take it if you got at least an A an GCSE or you are completely willing to try your best. Effort must be put in at all times & if you're someone who either wings exams or does last minute revision this ones not for you (learn from my mistakes haha). If you have a maths A Level it will look good on CVs & your UCAS application, overall a really good subject to have but bloody hard work.

Economics- Slightly difficult but nothing majorly challenging, never did it at GCSE but either way I didn't find it to hard. Pretty interesting at times but very boring at others. Again another good A Level to have & if you put in some good effort you can achieve a good grade in this :smile: Having some interest in economics or business would be helpful but not at all essential.

Biology- Again a huge step up from GSCE, people may label it the 'easy science' but at A Level stage they're all quite equal. Not as hard as maths & sometimes interesting but I think GCSE biology was extremely easy & I feel like thats why it seems like such a jump. Another good one to have on application forms (any core subject from GCSE or difficult sounding A Level looks impressive haha)

From the others I know people who take them so i'll tell you a little of what ive heard.

Accounting- If this is AAT, not too difficult or challenging but I'd imagine theres a lot to remember. Loads of exams have to be taken for this qualification though so if you aren't too happy with taking them I wouldnt recommend it (my friend once did a 5 hour exam :O i think, dont take my word for it though ha)

History- Seems quite difficult, a lot of dates & people & things to learn & remember & I would imagine an interest in History is essential or you'll be extremely bored haha.

Law- Quite a few people choose this at my college, its very popular. Seems relatively easy tbh. My friend failed miserably in Biology & Psychology yet managed to get a high C, just to give you an idea & he barely revised.

Business Studies- Again seems quite easy compared to other subjects but no a level is an easy option at the end of the day.

Just a piece of advice- Work hard throughout the year & start revising a couple of months before the exam (i know seems like a long time) & you'll get the grades you want & deserve- or treat them like GCSEs & waste two years.
Original post by nennybeans
I did business, the AS was really easy and generally the grade boundaries are low! There is very useful stuff to learn and is really useful in the outside world, especially with the economy how it is! And it is respected by unis, not a complete doss at all!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It isn't a complete doss, but it is of a more limited suitability.
I found maths very enjoyable, and it is probably one of the subjects that is applicable to the largest number of university courses.
Business Studies is pretty easy. Well, I found it easy as I did it at GCSE with a VERY good teacher. Not everyone would find it the same as me but that is just my perspective. The information is not hard but you have just got to remember and apply it into questions and the questions tend to be essay questions. In other words, there will only be a few questions that are pretty vague but you are just expected to incorporate as much knowledge you have from the sylabus/what you have learnt into the questions. I think a subject like business can either be really good if you are being taught by a teacher you like, or it could be a subject you hate,
Reply 107
Original post by nennybeans
I did business, the AS was really easy and generally the grade boundaries are low! There is very useful stuff to learn and is really useful in the outside world, especially with the economy how it is! And it is respected by unis, not a complete doss at all!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It is considered as a very soft subject
Original post by chelseafan
For anyone who has recently done any of these A levels i would just like your opinions. I just want your overall thoughts. Negatives? Positives? Overall difficulty? Jump up from GCSE? Suitability for university?

Accounting
Maths
History
Economics
Law
Biology
Buisness Studies

I'm definitely picking economics and History, but im not too sure on the other two. Also hoping to do a law degree.

I did my A Levels in Accounting,Economics and Maths

Personally I enjoyed them all. For each one

Accounting:Rather easy. Doesn't involve a lot of complex maths but alot of memorising information. I did it with AQA and found units 1-3 interesting and 4 slightly boring. Overall I enjoyed it

Economics:Involves a lot of diagrams. Needs you to think more. Use existing logic and your own opinion. Good choice to pick it but make sure you do wider reading.

Maths: Essential for doing Economics at a decent uni. Basically combines well with most degrees. I would advise it. You don't have to be a "mathmatacian" to do well, but it would help.Doing loads of past papers work,so do it if you are want to

I would advise in general: Maths
Biology
Economics/Accounting/Business
History/Law

I would strongly advise you to not pick accounting and eco if you are intending to apply to very top uni's.For me Warwick's offer on UCAS was AAA, but I was told that since I do both of these as 2 of my 3 it would be A*AA (for accounting.) In the end I am doing economics at uni anyway!

What ever you do work hard,stay focused and allways remember why you are there.

Hope you pick whats best!!!
Reply 109
Original post by ...mo...
I did my A Levels in Accounting,Economics and Maths

Personally I enjoyed them all. For each one

Accounting:Rather easy. Doesn't involve a lot of complex maths but alot of memorising information. I did it with AQA and found units 1-3 interesting and 4 slightly boring. Overall I enjoyed it

Economics:Involves a lot of diagrams. Needs you to think more. Use existing logic and your own opinion. Good choice to pick it but make sure you do wider reading.

Maths: Essential for doing Economics at a decent uni. Basically combines well with most degrees. I would advise it. You don't have to be a "mathmatacian" to do well, but it would help.Doing loads of past papers work,so do it if you are want to

I would advise in general: Maths
Biology
Economics/Accounting/Business
History/Law

I would strongly advise you to not pick accounting and eco if you are intending to apply to very top uni's.For me Warwick's offer on UCAS was AAA, but I was told that since I do both of these as 2 of my 3 it would be A*AA (for accounting.) In the end I am doing economics at uni anyway!

What ever you do work hard,stay focused and allways remember why you are there.

Hope you pick whats best!!!

Kool, thanks for the advice.
Reply 110
Original post by bethany18
I did Maths, Economics & Biology from that list.

Maths- HUGE step up from GCSE, only take it if you got at least an A an GCSE or you are completely willing to try your best. Effort must be put in at all times & if you're someone who either wings exams or does last minute revision this ones not for you (learn from my mistakes haha). If you have a maths A Level it will look good on CVs & your UCAS application, overall a really good subject to have but bloody hard work.

Economics- Slightly difficult but nothing majorly challenging, never did it at GCSE but either way I didn't find it to hard. Pretty interesting at times but very boring at others. Again another good A Level to have & if you put in some good effort you can achieve a good grade in this :smile: Having some interest in economics or business would be helpful but not at all essential.

Biology- Again a huge step up from GSCE, people may label it the 'easy science' but at A Level stage they're all quite equal. Not as hard as maths & sometimes interesting but I think GCSE biology was extremely easy & I feel like thats why it seems like such a jump. Another good one to have on application forms (any core subject from GCSE or difficult sounding A Level looks impressive haha)

From the others I know people who take them so i'll tell you a little of what ive heard.

Accounting- If this is AAT, not too difficult or challenging but I'd imagine theres a lot to remember. Loads of exams have to be taken for this qualification though so if you aren't too happy with taking them I wouldnt recommend it (my friend once did a 5 hour exam :O i think, dont take my word for it though ha)

History- Seems quite difficult, a lot of dates & people & things to learn & remember & I would imagine an interest in History is essential or you'll be extremely bored haha.

Law- Quite a few people choose this at my college, its very popular. Seems relatively easy tbh. My friend failed miserably in Biology & Psychology yet managed to get a high C, just to give you an idea & he barely revised.

Business Studies- Again seems quite easy compared to other subjects but no a level is an easy option at the end of the day.

Just a piece of advice- Work hard throughout the year & start revising a couple of months before the exam (i know seems like a long time) & you'll get the grades you want & deserve- or treat them like GCSEs & waste two years.

Ok thanks for the good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest