The Student Room Group

How many subjects do you need to do in GCSE??

One of my friend said that we need at least 7 GCSE subject to get into uni but the UCAS website just mentions around 5 grades. So please help me before i am too confused.
Thanx a lot!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need 5 or more A* to C to get into sixthform, the more gcses at A* to C you get then I suppose if you want to go to somewhere like Oxbridge or Durham or any other high grade ones it counts in your favour. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AS01
One of my friend said that we need at least 7 GCSE subject to get into uni but the UCAS website just mentions around 5 grades. So please help me before i am too confused.
Thanx a lot!

You need a minimum of 5A*-C including English and Maths to be considered at most unis, however the better ones will expect you to have more, and its standard at most schools to take 8-10 GCSE's.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
You need a minimum of 5A*-C including English and Maths to be considered at most unis, however the better ones will expect you to have more, and its standard at most schools to take 8-10 GCSE's.

so in general its just 5 right?
Reply 4
well it depends where you want to go!! 5 is the bare minimum.

i think it depends what school you go to as well - unis judge performance based on general school performance so if most people in your school only manage 5, and you do 7, then that's pretty good. in some schools people do 14 or 15! i reckon 7 A*/A grades are worth more than 10 B/C grades though!
Reply 5
Original post by AS01

not really no, as 99% of people take more
Depending on ability + those weird GCSEs that somehow count for, like, two or three, I would expect most people to have taken 7-12 GCSEs.However, some would take less if they're doing alternative qualifications such as BTECs as well. That's based on my experience at a pretty decent state school. Private school pupils may take loads more (as may those extremely clever ones at state schools), and those in less affluent areas ma take less. Universities will take your educational background into account.
Original post by AS01

You only need five, and officially that is all a lot of universities require. In reality, most people have more.
Reply 8
From what we did a few years ago, as compulsory you will do:

English (worth 2 GCSEs - English Literature and English Language)
Maths (worth 2 GCSEs IIRC - Maths and Statistics)
Science (worth 2 or 3 GCSEs depending on if you take the short course or the full course. I did the short course as the full course took up another GCSE timetable slot)
R.E (worth 1 GCSE, but the exam was optional and I did not do it)

Then 4 optional subjects:

I did IT, Spanish, Product Design Technology and Business Studies. The business one was a BTEC and was worth 2 GCSEs, but I did extra work and scored a 'First Diploma' which is worth 4 GCSEs.
Reply 9
Original post by SillyEddy
From what we did a few years ago, as compulsory you will do:

English (worth 2 GCSEs - English Literature and English Language)
Maths (worth 2 GCSEs IIRC - Maths and Statistics)
Science (worth 2 or 3 GCSEs depending on if you take the short course or the full course. I did the short course as the full course took up another GCSE timetable slot)
R.E (worth 1 GCSE, but the exam was optional and I did not do it)

Then 4 optional subjects:

I did IT, Spanish, Product Design Technology and Business Studies. The business one was a BTEC and was worth 2 GCSEs, but I did extra work and scored a 'First Diploma' which is worth 4 GCSEs.

wow dats gr8! what grades did you get? what u doing recently?
Reply 10
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Depending on ability + those weird GCSEs that somehow count for, like, two or three, I would expect most people to have taken 7-12 GCSEs.However, some would take less if they're doing alternative qualifications such as BTECs as well. That's based on my experience at a pretty decent state school. Private school pupils may take loads more (as may those extremely clever ones at state schools), and those in less affluent areas ma take less. Universities will take your educational background into account.

do they take those background much seriously than A levels?
Reply 11
Original post by canŵio

i think it depends what school you go to as well - unis judge performance based on general school performance so if most people in your school only manage 5, and you do 7, then that's pretty good. in some schools people do 14 or 15! i reckon 7 A*/A grades are worth more than 10 B/C grades though!

ya dats right. u wont believe i met a guy who got 12A* i was like he is definitely going to oxford!! :biggrin:
Original post by AS01
wow dats gr8! what grades did you get? what u doing recently?

In total I got 8 A*s, 2 As, a B and 2 Cs. 4 of the A*s were from Business Studies though! Haha! That course is so easy for picking up grades - No kidding, they literally give you all the answers. One of the Cs was from statistics, but I didn't even realise that was a real exam until I got my mark back... And I did the coursework for that in the lesson when we were handing it in :colone:

I even made it into the newspaper for my grades! One of the top in the year!

I've just finished my A-levels this year. Well, it was a re-sit year. I already have an A in Product Design Technology and B in Electronics. I had a C in AS physics (hoping to get C overall at A2) and I did AS maths too. In 6 weeks I'll know what I'm doing, but hopefully going to university to study engineering.
(edited 11 years ago)
Although the minimum GCSE requirement for uni is apparently quite low, I would recommend doing a few more otherwise you'll really struggle at A Level with the step up of work in terms of volume and difficulty!
Reply 14
In total I got 8 A*s, 2 As, a B and 2 Cs. 4 of the A*s were from Business Studies though! Haha! That course is so easy for picking up grades - No kidding, they literally give you all the answers. One of the Cs was from statistics, but I didn't even realise that was a real exam until I got my mark back... And I did the coursework for that in the lesson when we were handing it in :colone:

I even made it into the newspaper for my grades! One of the top in the year!

I've just finished my A-levels this year. Well, it was a re-sit year. I already have an A in Product Design Technology and B in Electronics. I had a C in AS physics (hoping to get C overall at A2) and I did AS maths too. In 6 weeks I'll know what I'm doing, but hopefully going to university to study engineering.

thats great. So you took gap year? Did you apply to university or is it already fix?
Reply 15
Original post by Butterfly9595
Although the minimum GCSE requirement for uni is apparently quite low, I would recommend doing a few more otherwise you'll really struggle at A Level with the step up of work in terms of volume and difficulty!

you know what? I came to London in 2011 and joined A levels straight away. I don't even have GCSE/IGCSE and I think with people in here getting such great grades in GCSE I have really slim chance getting in at any unis. Yes I do have something that is kind of same to GCSE level but again I came to know that it is one less than GCSE qualification. So I dont know whats gonna happen with my life.

Bt I have great grades in A levels. I got all high As in first module exam and got a high B in physics just waiting for second module result now.
You don't necessarily need any however you will almost always have to demonstrate a basic command of literacy and numeracy and this is most easily evidenced by GCSE qualifications.

Original post by Hooby
You need 5 or more A* to C to get into sixthform, the more gcses at A* to C you get then I suppose if you want to go to somewhere like Oxbridge or Durham or any other high grade ones it counts in your favour. :smile:

No you don't. This is a requirement many apply as a matter of policy (and which they do deviate from) but it is not a broad requirement.

Original post by jelly1000

Not really. I have three and I was given offers from several "better" universities. You will often need English and maths, however.

Original post by canŵio

Five is not in any way shape or form a blanket minimum.

Original post by TheSownRose
You only need five, and officially that is all a lot of universities require. In reality, most people have more.

You usually don't need five.
Original post by AS01
thats great. So you took gap year? Did you apply to university or is it already fix?

Not a gap year as such - I did 2 years of A-levels on the normal timeline, then did a 3rd year for re-sits when people started to go to university.

I've just applied this year, so I don't have a guaranteed entry at this point - I need my results back for that.
Reply 18
11 is great. Anything higher is unnecessary. Any lower is drab/an indication you failed in some area e.g. not doing triple science.
Reply 19
Not a gap year as such - I did 2 years of A-levels on the normal timeline, then did a 3rd year for re-sits when people started to go to university.

I've just applied this year, so I don't have a guaranteed entry at this point - I need my results back for that.

Oh! Good luck with that. Hope you get accepted at the uni you applied to.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending