The Student Room Group

Typical weekly spend at uni?

How much do students typically spend at uni? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure which accommodation I can afford with my student loan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It completely depends on how much you drink, how good you are at cooking economically and what other outgoing spendings you have. I used to spend as little as £10 (including food) some weeks, and upwards of £100 in weeks with heavy drinking/big events.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Theres this one girl i know. On average she reckons shes going to be living off of £16 a week at uni
Reply 3
outside of accommodation costs AND as a catered student, probably between £60-80 per week

I still bought a bit of food though. I went out at least three times a week as well so that's why it's so high. if I didn't go out as much and bought smartprice food, I could have easily got away with £40 per week
with 80per week i think someone is fine...about 30 for food{and 50 for the rest}
Reply 5
Original post by M4LLY
Theres this one girl i know. On average she reckons shes going to be living off of £16 a week at uni

I'm guessing she doesn't study economics and finance. Does she know how to divide by 7?
Reply 6
One girl in my flat (who barely eats) did £25 a week when she started running out of money, for me I do a lot of sport and need a lot of food, so my weekly shop alone was around £30-£35. It obviously depends on how much you eat, whether you cook it from scratch (much cheaper), how much you go out drinking - £20 a night to be safe, and where in the country you are, as things tend to be cheaper up north and outside of major cities.
Reply 7
ohh dear... you completely missed my point.
Reply 8
Some crazy high numbers already came up in this thread.

I was self catered; I could easily manage £15 a week, including some alcohol simply by buying in larger bulk for carbs and any meat I needed in one go (so a big initial spend then little to nothing over the following few weeks). I was a bit of a slacker on milk/bread though, because I'm not a huge fan of either of them.
Reply 9
Original post by Blazara
Some crazy high numbers already came up in this thread.

I was self catered; I could easily manage £15 a week, including some alcohol simply by buying in larger bulk for carbs and any meat I needed in one go (so a big initial spend then little to nothing over the following few weeks). I was a bit of a slacker on milk/bread though, because I'm not a huge fan of either of them.

You easily live on just over £2 a day. That won't even buy you a small packet of chicken.
Reply 10
Beginning of the year - 80-100 per week, end of semester I live off about 15 a week.
Original post by iSMark
You easily live on just over £2 a day. That won't even buy you a small packet of chicken.

Heard of Iceland bro? 8 Chicken breasts for a £1 :cool:
Reply 12
Original post by I.D.G.A.F.O.S
Heard of Iceland bro? 8 Chicken breasts for a £1 :cool:

May aswell just drink a pint of water. That's all chicken and meat from iceland basically is.
Original post by Samus2
May aswell just drink a pint of water. That's all chicken and meat from iceland basically is.

Don't think students are that picky... Point is you can
Reply 14
So what would people at Uni recommend; catered or self-catered? I'm looking at accomodation and want to know what people would recommend :smile:
Reply 15

I certainly am. I'd rather go without.
Currently I live off £50 per week, around £20 on food, then the rest on anything else. The majority of time I'll spend less than that over a month and then spend it on going out for dinner, or buying something I don't need.
Original post by Samus2
I certainly am. I'd rather go without.

Same! Literally have no idea how people live off so little, I would die!
Reply 18

I could, but the thing is, I would never want to eat frozen chicken from Iceland. I may as well go to KFC as well, as their chicken is freshly cooked by professional chefs everyday.
Reply 19
Original post by PVHickson
So what would people at Uni recommend; catered or self-catered? I'm looking at accomodation and want to know what people would recommend :smile:

Self Catered, if you can cook, or will at least learn more than microwaving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending