The Student Room Group

body fat percentage - photos

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HFerguson
Yeah I take issue with this post. If a girl doesn't try to "bulk", she won't put on much muscle if any, and therefore won't become bulky. Secondly, who says bulky women aren't attractive? "Attractive" is subjective, a matter of opinion. Why should machines be different for girls than blokes? Exercise ball good for the core? Gimme a ****ing break, they're good for developing balance sure, but core? No. The thing that develops a great core is resistance exercise. You say you don't think squatting is necessary for a girl noob, but most girls would give anything for a better ass and legs, if they do one exercise, it should be a barbell back squat! How is OP supposed to progress in the amount of weight lifted if she isn't even eating caloric maintenance? She has been eating under maintenance for months and has ended up looking like this.

Ralph pls go.

She looks like that because she just isn't working out. I don't care what she says, she isn't. Step 1, Go to the gym, get the motivation, with frequency as a noob you can do just about anything and see results as long as you're not eating like a pig. Lack of motivation is the number one reason people look like that.

Telling someone 100 different things is over-complicating it. You can put on muscle and lose fat despite what you might think, especially if you're a noob, just not very significantly. Bulking and cutting is great if you're on steroids, or for a guy who wants to put on significant amounts of muscle, for a girl who is starting out and doesn't have a trainer, I think it's a pretty appalling strategy.
Original post by Rancorous
She looks like that because she just isn't working out. I don't care what she says, she isn't. Step 1, Go to the gym, get the motivation, with frequency as a noob you can do just about anything and see results as long as you're not eating like a pig. Lack of motivation is the number one reason people look like that.

Telling someone 100 different things is over-complicating it. You can put on muscle and lose fat despite what you might think, especially if you're a noob, just not very significantly. Bulking and cutting is great if you're on steroids, or for a guy who wants to put on significant amounts of muscle, for a girl who is starting out and doesn't have a trainer, I think it's a pretty appalling strategy.

But isn't it easier to build muscle on a calorie surplus. Muscle needs food to grow and a woman starting out would make much more progress bulking than just maintaining and lifting. Plus this girl doe not look like someone who can gain muscle easily so needs the calorie surplus to build muscle and look better. Also she is about 55kg and 5ft 8 and losing any more weight like you suggested is going to make her thin
Original post by Chrisateen
But you are forgetting one thing testosterone levels. A man on steroids and a woman who does not take steroids doing the same routine is not going to get the same results as women does not have the testosterone levels to look like a man even some guys find it hard to bulk which is why some guys take steroids. So for a woman to get the 'toned' look they will have to lift the same way a man lifts.

I am aware. On steroids, you can do a much greater volume and get away with it for one - a routine which works for Jay Cutler, isn't going to work for anyone not on steroids. You do need different routines for different people.

For a girl noob who doesn't go to the gym much/at all, suggesting a starting strength routine isn't the best thing. Best thing is to get her ass to the gym frequently. Cardio is fine. Just doing cardio, 5 times a week for 3 months - she'll look a hell of a lot better than she does now. If she adds weights she'll look even better. As long as she's doing it, great. Problem is with squats/deadlifts is you need form and she needs to be shown how to do it right. They can also expand the waist and will exhaust your CNS which will stop you doing other stuff and put you out of commission - great exercises, they have their place, but I think for a noob getting to the gym, having fun working out, having the motivation is much better.
But isn't it easier to build muscle on a calorie surplus. Muscle needs food to grow and a woman starting out would make much more progress bulking than just maintaining and lifting. Plus this girl doe not look like someone who can gain muscle easily so needs the calorie surplus to build muscle and look better. Also she is about 55kg and 5ft 8 and losing any more weight like you suggested is going to make her thin

True, but she'll put on fat as well. That's why it's a bulk. Also if you tell people to eat more who look like that, well...it doesn't end well. In my experience, it's really dangerous saying 'eat a bit more' to someone who doesn't really count calories, or know the right types of food etc etc - most guys who bulk overegg it, eat way too much ****, plenty go dreamer. When you workout you also get a greater appetite - it is sooo easy to eat too much even when you're trying to cut.

So, if she got some really good music to listen to on her mp3, went to the gym 5 times a week for 3 months, stopped thinking so much, tried to eat healthily, eat a bit less (and she'll probably end up eating more than she is now)...she'll look waaaaay better than now.
That picture with you hand behind your back :rofl: :rolleyes:

I'd say maybe 20-25% :dontknow:
Reply 45
I am aware. On steroids, you can do a much greater volume and get away with it for one - a routine which works for Jay Cutler, isn't going to work for anyone not on steroids. You do need different routines for different people.

For a girl noob who doesn't go to the gym much/at all, suggesting a starting strength routine isn't the best thing. Best thing is to get her ass to the gym frequently. Cardio is fine. Just doing cardio, 5 times a week for 3 months - she'll look a hell of a lot better than she does now. If she adds weights she'll look even better. As long as she's doing it, great. Problem is with squats/deadlifts is you need form and she needs to be shown how to do it right. They can also expand the waist and will exhaust your CNS which will stop you doing other stuff and put you out of commission - great exercises, they have their place, but I think for a noob getting to the gym, having fun working out, having the motivation is much better.

you are really rude you know. I am not lazy and I do exercise and I do lift already (albeit v little weights I admit (12kgs))and I do know how to perform a proper squat. I do have Lou Schuler's book on weight lifting for women and for men. And I hate cardio, for your information.

I admit that I eat far too little and that I don't lift heavy/progress steadily.

anyhow, after you've finished bashing me and my body, pls kindly provide evidence that squats can expand the waist.
Reply 46
Original post by philistine
Would have penetrated with the force of the Chernobyl disaster until the third photo.

What has been seen...

agreed. do you now wonder why I never ever sit down like that? I normally spend my days standing. even at night. like a giraffe.
Original post by other one
yes I agree and I will start eating more and will lift heavy as advised. but pls put my mind at rest, how on earth would squatting make my waist wider? or is it my hips? I don't want a wider waist or wider hips. I love my waist. I have fat over my hips, (the only area apart from lower abs ) (love handles) but again I do not want bigger hips. I hate the flab on my abs the most, love handles bother me less. but I have v little core strength too.

surely squatting/weight training will not change body shape for the worse.
as I said, here below the one on the right is just as unappealing as the one on the left.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1cUP9tFALvg/T0eczi5NieI/AAAAAAAAAYM/0KiuQ-N7ztY/s1600/Skinny+fat.jpg

Scarlett Johannson's body is v unappealing, as it's far too flabby in most films I've seen her. I want a slim, toned body, with no pinachable fat but toned with SOME muscle. ideally I'd also like to get rid of bony chest, not sure if that's possible. I would like more muscle for sure, but I don't want to compromise my hip-waist ratio, which is 0.7 now and I also don't want a six-pack (or abs like that woman in my picture) which in a woman I find unpalatable.

Yeah, squatting and deadlifts with frequency make your waist wider.

Girls store fat on their hips, tummy, thighs - you can't choose where you lose fat however. There are lots of exercises you can do. I'm not going to help someone who doesn't really want my advice, but I'll post this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

As long as you're doing them, if you want to improve your body, great.
you are really rude you know. I am not lazy and I do exercise and I do lift already (albeit v little weights I admit (12kgs))and I do know how to perform a proper squat. I do have Lou Schuler's book on weight lifting for women and for men. And I hate cardio, for your information.

I admit that I eat far too little and that I don't lift heavy/progress steadily.

anyhow, after you've finished bashing me and my body, pls kindly provide evidence that squats can expand the waist.

Jeez Louise, I just saw this post. Screw you, why should I bother to help you. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just trying to help - with that attitude, that's the last time I'm posting here.
True, but she'll put on fat as well. That's why it's a bulk. Also if you tell people to eat more who look like that, well...it doesn't end well. In my experience, it's really dangerous saying 'eat a bit more' to someone who doesn't really count calories, or know the right types of food etc etc - most guys who bulk overegg it, eat way too much ****, plenty go dreamer. When you workout you also get a greater appetite - it is sooo easy to eat too much even when you're trying to cut.

So, if she got some really good music to listen to on her mp3, went to the gym 5 times a week for 3 months, stopped thinking so much, tried to eat healthily, eat a bit less (and she'll probably end up eating more than she is now)...she'll look waaaaay better than now.

Yes I know that. But I did also advice her that she should bulk for 6 months at a rate of 1kg a month then after the 6 months she cuts back to her current weight. If she does this her body would look much more better than if she just maintains and lifts.

I also don't agree about the lifting thing either. For example I started lifting heavy doing lifts such as deadlifts, squats, bench and many other exercises such as dips and pull ups and my body looks great from doing it and I don't look like someone who use to be overweight. In fact this winter I am also going to bulk as I think my body would look even better and my lifts would improve after a bulk/cut cycle.

Also have a look at bb.com on the ladies section and some of the pics on there and how they look after a bulk and cut cycle. The transformation is impressive and all of them lift the same way a guy would lift
Reply 50
ok thanks. someone suggested that I upload pictures and most people would be able to guess roughly, which is why I did so.

I wouldn't trust it anyway. I done my measurements using the BMI calculations and it said that I have 17% body fat. It must have only counted a leg haha.

If i do say so myself, i don't see anything wrong with your body. What are your goals?
Yes I know that. But I did also advice her that she should bulk for 6 months at a rate of 1kg a month then after the 6 months she cuts back to her current weight. If she does this her body would look much more better than if she just maintains and lifts.

I also don't agree about the lifting thing either. For example I started lifting heavy doing lifts such as deadlifts, squats, bench and many other exercises such as dips and pull ups and my body looks great from doing it and I don't look like someone who use to be overweight. In fact this winter I am also going to bulk as I think my body would look even better and my lifts would improve after a bulk/cut cycle.

Also have a look at bb.com on the ladies section and some of the pics on there and how they look after a bulk and cut cycle. The transformation is impressive and all of them lift the same way a guy would lift

I'm all for bulking, cutting, lifting, especially bodyweighted exercises and I've said so - I just think for noobs, it's better to get to the gym, do cardio, lift weights and get your motivation together; for a guy bulking is the way to go despite the dangers of going dreamer, but for a girl noob it's unnecessary. Plenty of girls especially models look great and don't even go at all - they let their diet do most of the work. If you go 5 times a week, you're improving in what you're doing, you'll be looking better -it's that simple.
Reply 52
Jeez Louise, I just saw this post. Screw you, why should I bother to help you. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just trying to help - with that attitude, that's the last time I'm posting here.

look at it from my perspective. talking about me as an object that is lying and is lazy and does not do cardio or lift weights, assuming that I know zilch about weight-lifting, assuming that I don't know how to squat properly, advising that I eat a bit less, when I am eating 1400kcal a day and my body is obviously starving. how would you feel... I don't want the dubious advice of someone that clearly revels in hurting my feelings and calls me a liar.

'For a girl noob who doesn't go to the gym much/at all, suggesting a starting strength routine isn't the best thing. Best thing is to get her ass to the gym frequently. Cardio is fine. Just doing cardio, 5 times a week for 3 months - she'll look a hell of a lot better than she does now. If she adds weights she'll look even better. As long as she's doing it, great. Problem is with squats/deadlifts is you need form and she needs to be shown how to do it right. They can also expand the waist and will exhaust your CNS which will stop you doing other stuff and put you out of commission - great exercises, they have their place, but I think for a noob getting to the gym, having fun working out, having the motivation is much better.'

'She looks like that because she just isn't working out. I don't care what she says, she isn't. Step 1, Go to the gym, get the motivation, with frequency as a noob you can do just about anything and see results as long as you're not eating like a pig. Lack of motivation is the number one reason people look like that.'

'Also if you tell people to eat more who look like that, well...it doesn't end well.'

I just want to make a comment about the waist thing. When you gain weight you will temporarily gain inches all over the body. This is expected as you are gaining weight. Once you lose the fat again (after a few months of bulking) you will lose weight and lose inches as well.

Your proportions/waist to hip ratio may or may not change. I can't tell you if it would or not as each body is different and responds differently to weight training. I would for now would not worry about it and focus on lifting heavy and eating more then like I said earlier once you are happy with your body you can always reduce the weights so that you don't build any more muscle
Reply 54
Original post by Anazoth
I wouldn't trust it anyway. I done my measurements using the BMI calculations and it said that I have 17% body fat. It must have only counted a leg haha.

If i do say so myself, i don't see anything wrong with your body. What are your goals?

having three people talking about my body as it was the most disgusting thing on earth makes me particularly appreciate your comment. I must have put in a particularly unflattering pic as I do get a lot of male attention, esp on the beach/in tight clothes and my face is not particularly beautiful.

I'd like to have no pinachable fat on my lower abs, or indeed anywhere. I do not want a six-pack, I don't want to look too muscly and I don't want a wider waist.
I'm all for bulking, cutting, lifting, especially bodyweighted exercises and I've said so - I just think for noobs, it's better to get to the gym, do cardio, lift weights and get your motivation together; for a guy bulking is the way to go despite the dangers of going dreamer, but for a girl noob it's unnecessary. Plenty of girls especially models look great and don't even go at all - they let their diet do most of the work. If you go 5 times a week, you're improving in what you're doing, you'll be looking better -it's that simple.

I totally understand but she has been going to the gym, lifting and doing cardio and not made a single progress in terms of her body shape. Hence why I suggested she lifts and bulk for a few months then cut. You do have a point as for example I lift really heavy, been eating on a calorie deficit and do some cardio also and have made some progress but she hasn't so she needs to change her approach. The worst thing for her to do right now is to lose any more weight as she's just going to look stick thin and still be skinny fat. The advice I have given would be exactly the same advice she would get if she posted on bodybuilding.com.
look at it from my perspective. talking about me as an object that is lying and is lazy and does not do cardio or lift weights, assuming that I know zilch about weight-lifting, assuming that I don't know how to squat properly, advising that I eat a bit less, when I am eating 1400kcal a day and my body is obviously starving. how would you feel... I don't want the dubious advice of someone that clearly revels in hurting my feelings and calls me a liar.

'For a girl noob who doesn't go to the gym much/at all, suggesting a starting strength routine isn't the best thing. Best thing is to get her ass to the gym frequently. Cardio is fine. Just doing cardio, 5 times a week for 3 months - she'll look a hell of a lot better than she does now. If she adds weights she'll look even better. As long as she's doing it, great. Problem is with squats/deadlifts is you need form and she needs to be shown how to do it right. They can also expand the waist and will exhaust your CNS which will stop you doing other stuff and put you out of commission - great exercises, they have their place, but I think for a noob getting to the gym, having fun working out, having the motivation is much better.'

'She looks like that because she just isn't working out. I don't care what she says, she isn't. Step 1, Go to the gym, get the motivation, with frequency as a noob you can do just about anything and see results as long as you're not eating like a pig. Lack of motivation is the number one reason people look like that.'

'Also if you tell people to eat more who look like that, well...it doesn't end well.'

How many years have you been lifting?
Do you go to the gym more than 3/4 times a week?
What's your calorific maintenance level for the exercise you do?
Have you ever had a trainer show you how to do back squats with a barbell? Have you got a trainer showing you how to do squats on a regular basis? I picked up on that you were doing 12kg squats and from everything you're saying I'm confident you don't. There are lots of issues doing squats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

You post here looking for advice, I gave you some and you gave me an over-sensitive, ungrateful rant. Screw. You.
Reply 57
I just want to make a comment about the waist thing. When you gain weight you will temporarily gain inches all over the body. This is expected as you are gaining weight. Once you lose the fat again (after a few months of bulking) you will lose weight and lose inches as well.

Your proportions/waist to hip ratio may or may not change. I can't tell you if it would or not as each body is different and responds differently to weight training. I would for now would not worry about it and focus on lifting heavy and eating more then like I said earlier once you are happy with your body you can always reduce the weights so that you don't build any more muscle

ok, thanks. I would really like to keep the waist-hip ratio as it's 0.7 now, which is what men (and I) want.

btw if you look at the pic in the other thread, when I was 53 kilos (with even less muscle), whr was still 0.7, since then even if it doesn't show I have been doing squats and it's not changed, so hopefully with even weighted squats it should be OK.
having three people talking about my body as it was the most disgusting thing on earth makes me particularly appreciate your comment. I must have put in a particularly unflattering pic as I do get a lot of male attention, esp on the beach/in tight clothes and my face is not particularly beautiful.

I'd like to have no pinachable fat on my lower abs, or indeed anywhere. I do not want a six-pack, I don't want to look too muscly and I don't want a wider waist.

I don't think you have a disgusting body either. You asked about how to make progress and look less skinny fat and I am just trying to give you some advice.

Also can I also ask as well to post a pic of what is your ideal body as maybe lifting and gaining a few pounds is not for you. (I don't believe lifting and gaining weight would make you bulky but you may think that it would make you bulky)
ok, thanks. I would really like to keep the waist-hip ratio as it's 0.7 now, which is what men (and I) want.

btw if you look at the pic in the other thread, when I was 53 kilos (with even less muscle), whr was still 0.7, since then even if it doesn't show I have been doing squats and it's not changed, so hopefully with even weighted squats it should be OK.

Squats will not change your whr. Things like deadlifts and exercises that work the abs and lower back may do so but I don't think it would change significantly

Quick Reply

Latest