The Student Room Group

Circumcision ban is the 'worst attack on Jews since Holocaust'

Scroll to see replies

i thought the jewish lobby said the ban on kosher meat in holland was the worst attac on jews since ww2. ?
Reply 521
people saying the child should be allowed to grow up and choose, doesnt the pain increase by like a 100000%?
Original post by naman
people saying the child should be allowed to grow up and choose, doesnt the pain increase by like a 100000%?

Well I'm sure circumcision involves some sort of painkiller. Also we are assuming the guy will grow up to want it circumcised, despite many people that wish they didn't have a circumcised penis yet had no choice in the matter because it happened at birth.
Reply 523
Original post by naman

No. For adults there are 100% painless ways to do it without even having to cut it.
It's pretty obvious that the ChristianLady account is a troll.
Reply 525
Original post by liamb109
I don't mean to fuel the terrible holocaust denial and deniers here but, on the topic of that, I do find it suspicious that the official Auschwitz sign outside the camp put there in 1948 in memory of those that died were completely edited from 4 million down to 1.5 million after the Soviets released the official records in '89. That and Hoss's testimony that they took the bodies out of the gas chamber 10 minutes after they had gassed them when anyone worth their salt knows that they would have died too, since venting Zyklon B takes a long time. You could assume they were wearing gasmasks but, Hoss's testimony also included the fact that they were smoking while they took the bodies out, that it was that matter of fact of a thing. Considering that Zyklon B, or rather the gas from Zyklon B that was used is both explosive and toxic, we can conclude that at least his testimony was false. It is possible he was trying to bargain a deal out of them, though, by confessing and embellishing. Or maybe he just wanted to sound impressive. From all accounts, the man was a major schizoid.

1. Wrong thread. Absolutely wrong.
2. Nice try disguising your holocaust denial like this.
3. All of the facts you listed have plausible reasons. Your assumptions about Zyklon etc. are just plain wrong.
Reply 526
Original post by Observatory
It's pretty obvious that the ChristianLady account is a troll.

No, that's just the way American fundamentalist christians think. Why should it be a troll, many people act that way.
Original post by Sir Fox
1. Wrong thread. Absolutely wrong.
2. Nice try disguising your holocaust denial like this.
3. All of the facts you listed have plausible reasons. Your assumptions about Zyklon etc. are just plain wrong.

Except, you don't refute it. Really, I don't care all that much. The world won't operate any differently either way.
Reply 528
Except, you don't refute it. Really, I don't care all that much. The world won't operate any differently either way.

If you're really interested about data and arguments, this is a nice place to start:

http://www.nizkor.org

It lists claims by holocaust deniers and explains why they are wrong, including all the issues concerning the gas chambers.
Original post by Sir Fox
If you're really interested about data and arguments, this is a nice place to start:

http://www.nizkor.org

It lists claims by holocaust deniers and explains why they are wrong, including all the issues concerning the gas chambers.

Interesting reading. Still implies that Hoss was bull****ting about the cigarettes though since it would have still ignited at around that time, though it wouldn't have been enough to kill for sure, according to your source if they were in by ten minutes. Which is within the realms of possibility. That and the change in the sign, which was actually the thing I noticed that piqued my interest in the subject. I've never denied the holocaust happened, just that there are a lot of odd stories surrounding it, the most famous of which being the lampshade made of human skin and the bar of soap which are now generally accepted as fake.
Reply 530
That and the change in the sign, which was actually the thing I noticed that piqued my interest in the subject. I've never denied the holocaust happened, just that there are a lot of odd stories surrounding it, the most famous of which being the lampshade made of human skin and the bar of soap which are now generally accepted as fake.

The sign was put there by the Soviets, just another horrible dictatorial system. Western scholars have always rejected that number - yet the overall number of roughly 6 million dead jews is still right.
Original post by Sir Fox
The sign was put there by the Soviets, just another horrible dictatorial system. Western scholars have always rejected that number - yet the overall number of roughly 6 million dead jews is still right.

But didn't the Soviets have the official records the whole time, as they were released by them in '89?

Or was this just another case of the head not talking to the body as was so common in the Soviet era in Eastern Europe and so the people in charge of the building weren't privy to these official records?
Reply 532
Original post by Christianlady
We are brought into this world through the union of our parents. Their struggle in protecting us, nurturing us, and helping us survive help shape our identity, so that we can even reach the age of being independent. So, if a circumcision is not botched, if a man can have sex and experience pleasure (like my hubby), produce offspring, and live a normal life without his foreskin, than for most people, it is not a big deal at all. Rather, most mature adults tend to focus on and appreciate the sacrifices their parents made for them. On my part, my Mom quit school when she had me. She sacrificed her studies to bring me into this world. Now, there are Moms who don't give up school, but most Moms do actually give up freedom in some way in order to take care of the little life that eventually pops out of their womb. If a circumcision was not botched, why would a man hold a grudge against the mother who cared for him and loved him, even if she allowed him to be circumcised?

One person giving up their freedom for someone else does not allow that person to then compromise the freedom of the other person. Our mums do an awful lot for us (I don’t think anyone is arguing against that) but even if you do lots of different things for someone, that doesn’t mean that you then have the right to harm them. Logically, using that argument, you could say that if Alex cares for Bill for many years, Alex is then justified in circumcising him without his consent. It doesn’t work that way.

There are Jewish people who are circumcised who turn their back on the belief in the G-d of their ancestors. Being circumcised definitely does not decide their religion for them. For Jewish parents who do believe in G-d and the Tanakh, circumcision is simply an act of obedience of the parents, not of the child.

I’ve stated this before in previous comments, so please understand that you are completely missing my point again and again. I am not saying that circumcision determines someone’s religion I am saying that circumcision as a ritual act is unjustified because it involves parents making a decision about that child’s identity and their religion when they cannot make a decision of that magnitude (believing in god(s)) at that age. There is a big difference.

I’d point you in the direction of comment #501, where I used the example of Democratic party supporters and their baby that baby cannot be described as a ‘Democratic supporting baby’ because at 8 days old, it cannot even begin to understand anything that is going on in its world, let alone the rights and wrongs of a political ideology. But at least in that scenario, we can all agree that the Democratic Party is a real, existing concept; religion cannot be scientifically proven, so parents should ideally not pass on religion as an objective truth, let alone as a justification for bodily mutilation.

The irony is that the majority of the people it targets are people who believe in God

Irony shouldn’t play a part in the legal process. Judges rule according to law.

Again, you have the right to circumcise your baby boy or not. I have the right to circumcise my baby boy or not. I do not have the right to force you to circumcise your child (nor would I want to force you!) You do not have the right to force me to not circumcise my child (regardless of your opinion).

Okay, I understand that that’s your perspective on the matter. But your logic is false in that you’re using the morality of individual judgements to justify the morality of judgements you make which affect other people negatively. Your individual freedom to eat your food doesn’t extend to a right to eat anybody’s food. Your right to religious beliefs and practices does not justify your right to make other people (and in this case, people who cannot form any argument of their own) partake and follow those same practices and beliefs.

My husband and my father's family do not see male circumcision as a form of abuse. Now, you of course can think it is, but since the men of my family who are circumcised do not see it as abuse, that is their right as well.

Some people see slapping a child in the face as abuse. I do. One of the reasons is because my parents consider it to be a form of abuse. Thankfully, my parents never ever slapped me across the face. However, other people do not consider a slap in the face to be abuse. I personally do not understand that, but it's just an example as to how people define abuse.

My Mom spanked me with a wooden spoon when I was a kid. She did not consider it abuse. I personally did not like that punishment at al. The last time I was spanked was when I was 10 for jumping on the bed. I thought she was so mean! lol. However, nowadays I do not consider my Mom to have physically abused me, though others do because she spanked me. However, I personally do not want to use spankings as a form of punishment when/if I have kids. I like "time-outs" better. However, I do not judge my Mom because

I know she was only doing what she knew in order to help me become a law-abiding citizen. Learning how to obey her laws helped me grow to understand to obey the laws of the USA.)

So, if I’ve understood this correctly, you would classify circumcision and being spanked with a spoon as non-abusive and slapping a child across the face as abusive based on your own subjective interpretation of those events, and that as parents you are open to create your own interpretations of abuse and non-abuse which you can then put into practice?

The problem there is that we do not live in a nihilistic, anarchical society. We do need objective laws and clearly defined terms, or else every crime would be judged so subjectively that the rule of law would cease to apply equally to all citizens within a given polity.

But on the issue of abuse, I still maintain that unnecessary surgery for religious purposes in which the baby is too young to give their consent to an irreversible procedure which carries no clear health benefits is a form of abuse. The NSPCC defines physical abuse in children as follows:

“If an adult deliberately hurts a child causing them physical harm, such as cuts, bruises, broken bones or other injuries it is physical abuse. It can include hitting, shaking, throwing, poisoning, burning, and slapping.” (NSPCC, 2012)

And I’d say that circumcision (which is after all, deliberate cutting) comes squarely into that category.

Parental authority includes the right to raise children up according to one's belief. Since it is already established that male circumcision can actually help in medical issues in regard to the foreskin, male circumcision is not abuse. (Otherwise, many doctors are abusing men who get circumcisions later on in life.)

Two issues here:

1). You have the right to raise your child as you see fit. However, there are still limitations to that concept. You can’t force your child to accept a religious belief (which is exactly that: A belief. A personal faith) in a non-provable, invisible man in the sky simply because you’ve decided personally that that is correct. You can’t then ritually abuse them because your god is telling you to do so.

2). Alright, I see you’ve hit this wall before with others, so I’ll try and keep this brief:

2.a). The people on this board who are anti-circumcision have all drawn a clear, dichotomous line between religious circumcision and medical circumcision. The latter is acceptable because qualified medical advice in keeping with contemporary updates on practice and procedure recommends it to reduce pain which can unfortunately arise in certain cases. The former on the other hand is non-necessary, and mandated because it is written down in a mystical book of unverified stories and tales from over two millennia ago.

2.b). The people on this board who are anti-circumcision have also agreed that if an adult chooses to be circumcised in later life then that is also okay. Why? Because they are adults who can make a non-medical decision for themselves based on their own personal beliefs and opinions.

A name doesn't leave a mark? It could leave an emotional mark. Have you ever heard the song "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash? It's funny. My Mom loves that song...I've heard it way too many times. Getting children immunized can protect them from future diseases, but you don't even know if they will ever be exposed to those diseases... immunizations for many people, at least in Western countries, is more for "just in case" scenario.

No, a name doesn’t leave a permanent bodily mark. If I wanted, I could walk down right now to my town hall and legally change my name to Copernicus Fiddlesticks and then always be known as such. I’d still be the same person biologically, nothing would have changed there.

Likewise, injections do not permanently change the exterior of the body, they only inject disabled viral forms of some pretty horrific diseases into the bloodstream to aid the body’s immune system should it then be faced with their enabled forms later on. If a problem arises with the foreskin, then what’s wrong with simply removing it should an issue arise? (after all, foreskin pain is nowhere near as serious as some of the diseases we are immunised against).

How do you know if the baby boy is not going to have a medical issue with his foreskin later on in life?

I don’t, but then using that logic can we say: “Well, we don’t know if our daughter is going to develop arthritis in her feet when she’s older so we might as well just cut them off now and save her the trouble should any problems arise”

I was so mad when one of my little sisters was born and she started crying when the mean ole' nurse did the heel prick. However, as soon as possible, my Mom took my baby sister, nursed her, and my sis seemed perfectly content, just being in our Mom's arms and being loved and held and fed by Mom.

Now, I have never personally seen a circumcision, though I was there when my sis had her 3rd son. I wasn't there when they circumcised him though. However, when TJ came out of my sis (yuck, I almost fainted) he was comforted once my sister held him and started feeding him. I am sure that after he was circumcised, my sister held him in her arms and nursed him.

Babies need that. A circumcised baby boy stops crying when his Mom hold him close to her body and nurses him. He gets comfort from his Mommy who has had him in her womb for 9 months. He already knows his Mom.

So, because I have personally seen the love of a Mom for her baby boy, which I know continues during and after the circumcision, I know the boy is going to be ok, if the circumcision was not botched.

That’s a very sweet story, but I think we’re going a bit off the track here. My mum fed and cared for me, and I’m pretty sure that felt rather nice at the time, and I’m uncircumcised. So I’m not too sure what you’re trying to prove here.

Circumcision for Jewish people who believe in G-d, as well as for Muslims who circumcise their boys, is an act of obedience on part of the parents who have sexually united and thus "created" the new human life.

Umm, forgive me, but I don’t quite see what connection sexual intercourse has to circumcision. The first is necessary (not just in the Jewish and Muslim faiths) for the creation of life, whilst circumcision involves mutilating that body you’ve just created because “god” has told you so.

If one doesn't have water or adequate cleaning methods, that would be an issue hmm? Not everyone has the luxury of regular washing, even in this day and age.

No, you’ve misunderstood the point I was making (maybe your personal experience doesn’t extend to uncircumcised penises, but let’s not go there!). Once you’ve rolled back the foreskin, then essentially you’ve got (for all intents and purposes) a circumcised penis, which is then cleaned in exactly the same way as those who have been circumcised would clean their penis. Unless you haven’t got hands then you won’t be ale to clean it in the same way, though if you haven’t got hands, then you’ll probably need considerable help anyway.

That's why it'd be interesting to hear from men (or women who have personal experience with a man) who got circumcised later on in life.

I agree, but then again, the main thrust of our discussion here concerns ritual circumcision in infants. If a man grows up and decides to be circumcised for either religious or medical reasons, then at least he can make that decision rationally and with regards to any problems, complications or pain which may arise during or after the procedure. 8 day old babies have no such luxury.

Sure

Thanks for taking the time to find these sources. Just to discuss a few:

One complaint about circumcision is that infants have no choice in the matter. The surgery is the first major decision parents make for their sons -- involving the look and performance of the most outward symbol of what will make them men.

That has, in no way whatsoever, provided a justification for the removal of individual liberty at the hands of religion. That is the key point of this thread and one which isn’t answered here.

Although circumcision -- removal of a man’s foreskin, typically during infancy -- is rooted in cultural tradition (primarily Muslim and Jewish religions), some parents choose to circumcise their sons because they believe it’s “cleaner” or protects against sexually transmitted diseases and health problems.
Is Circumcision Emotionally Damaging?
As I discuss in my new book A Woman’s Guide to Men and Their Penis Problems, circumcision is currently a very controversial issue. Critics argue that circumcision is painful, may have psychological or emotional consequences, and dulls a man’s sexual sensation by removing the foreskin, which is rich in nerve endings. While evidence is mixed, some studies suggest that circumcision may reduce the risk of urinary-tract infections, penile cancer and sexually transmitted diseases including HPV and HIV. Other research shows no such benefits."

So, to summarise, it’s a largely cultural practice and there are no provable benefits which have been supported by correlating research. Not sure why you wanted to quote that one?

Now when "Circumcision:Is it Worth it?" was written, about 75% percent of American men have been circumcised. My male family members is in this number, and are fine. Most circumcised American don't go around moaning about being circumcised. They are fine with it. How can you tell? Because most Americans complain when they are not fine with something, and the majority of American circumcised men are fine. Many of them are actually "playboys" you could say, and have no problem enjoying sex or having babies or living fulfilling lives.

But now we’re back into the realm of subjectivity. You can’t make a holistic assessment of something if you don’t have an accurate experience of both sides of the debate.

Are you judging their parents for circumcising them?

Yes I am.

I give religious people absolutely no special treatment on the grounds of ‘divine instruction’ as we cannot scientifically prove the existence of any god or gods, therefore I judge them the same way I would judge anyone else who told me that they would like to cut off a part of their child’s body because a non-medical figure has told them to do so, and that’s before we even start to consider the fact that the person telling them to do this isn’t demonstrably real.

I think it's connected because 9 months in the womb plus 8 days out is still not even a year in a human's life. It's cool that you are personally pro-life. I agree with you there.

Glad we agree on one or two things at least :smile:, but since you’ve brought up the issue of abortion and a women’s right to choose, let’s run with that thought for a moment.

What is it that separates parental authority in the case of abortion (“It’s my body, I have the right to abort if I want”) from the logic which you have used to justify parental authority in the case of circumcision (“It’s my child, I have the right to circumcise them if I want”)? Both involve bodily mutilation, albeit at different degrees, but the logical arguments you have presented are largely the same as those who are pro-choice.

Is the missing link here really religion? Does a genuinely held belief in a god allow you to then justify your decision to disfigure the natural-born body of an infant when they are too young to make their own decisions? Using your logic, would you be okay with murdering first-born children if the parents genuinely believed in King Herod as a God?

If you don’t agree with that, then please consider the dangers of using your own religion to make medical decisions for your children.

Thanks. All the best to you and your loved ones too!

Oh, I am going write one last post on this thread, and then I plan to only reply about circumcision on the thread concerning it in the religious section, since this thread has basically become a gang-up-on-Christianlady thread lol

Peace

It’s very noble of you to fight your corner even though you’re on your own (certain Voltaire quotations spring to mind here!). I wouldn’t say that we are ganging up on you, we just disagree on certain principles and are debating them as ideas.

All the best.

EDIT: The BBC have a pretty comprehensive article out today about this very issue (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19072761). Definitely worth a read - the top rated comments are worth examining too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 533
I was circumsized at birth. Not for religious reasons but because the country I come from believed it was healthier.

I do not have a problem with actually being circumsized however I do have a big problem with not being able to choose for myself. It is my penis, I only get one and I cannot undo what was done. If I had the choice when I was 16 or 18, I would not have gone through with it.

I would absolutely support a circumsision ban.

There are also complications which can arise from the procedure. A penis is a special part of the male body, I dont think people should be mutilating it without deiciding for themselves. I can understand medical situations but I cannot understand it happening to minors in any other situation.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending