The Student Room Group

Circumcision

Basically, I feel like my parents are trying to sort of pressure me into getting circumcised next year. It makes me feel kind of anxious for 2022.

Basically on FB, my mum found out that her friend's son got circumcised, she was happy to hear that and decided to call her friend and when she was speaking to her, she made it sound like I was interested in it (I WASN'T). She made me speak to her and hear her say that it was 'fine and I should look at wikipedia etc on it'. When I did, it felt like everything was against me not wanting it.

Some other subtle events included when my mum went 'I called (other friend) and their son might get circumcised along with you next year' and 'I'm trying to find a clinic in Newcastle where they do a circumcision'. That one makes me slightly anxious because if she does, then it would definitely be set for next year. Other stuff she says is 'Well it'll be more expensive if you're older' making me feel like I have no option but to get it done next year.

The main reason why I oppose it is because of the fact it's pretty much because she found out someone else's son got circumcised. I see ZERO reason why that affects me. If circumcision is on the p*nis, and that is a private body part, I don't see a reason why circumcision would be seen as something special, lots of people are circumcised, and that doesn't mean that I must get it or that's something significant (Of course it is for religions like Judaism/Islam but in this case, there's no cultural/religious reason).

Idk what else to say. It feels like a race against time
How old are you? It's your body so you're decision. Have you told her you don't want it. if they try to make you tell the doctor and I'd doubt the doctor would do it if you didnt want to
I mean, your mum can't force you to do this? If she takes you to a clinic, just explain to the nurse/doctor that you don't want to be circumcised and they won't go through with it.
Hi there. I don’t understand your mum here. I’m circumcised. Circumcision is important to our family. My dad was circumcised as a baby, as were my brother and I. And I will have any boys of mine circumcised as babies, as will my brother and sister. Circumcision is part of our family’s tradition and identity and is something we have always celebrated.

But for your mum this appears to be something that she has just thought of. Has she said why she wants you circumcised? Has she ever mentioned circumcision in the past?

Incidentally, if you do get circumcised, there’s nothing to worry about. I think it looks better, it’s cleaner, and my girlfriend certainly likes it! But I know that is not the point in your case. I think you need to chat with your mum and find out her exact reasons for wanting you circumcised. Luke.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I feel like my parents are trying to sort of pressure me into getting circumcised next year. It makes me feel kind of anxious for 2022.

Basically on FB, my mum found out that her friend's son got circumcised, she was happy to hear that and decided to call her friend and when she was speaking to her, she made it sound like I was interested in it (I WASN'T). She made me speak to her and hear her say that it was 'fine and I should look at wikipedia etc on it'. When I did, it felt like everything was against me not wanting it.

Some other subtle events included when my mum went 'I called (other friend) and their son might get circumcised along with you next year' and 'I'm trying to find a clinic in Newcastle where they do a circumcision'. That one makes me slightly anxious because if she does, then it would definitely be set for next year. Other stuff she says is 'Well it'll be more expensive if you're older' making me feel like I have no option but to get it done next year.

The main reason why I oppose it is because of the fact it's pretty much because she found out someone else's son got circumcised. I see ZERO reason why that affects me. If circumcision is on the p*nis, and that is a private body part, I don't see a reason why circumcision would be seen as something special, lots of people are circumcised, and that doesn't mean that I must get it or that's something significant (Of course it is for religions like Judaism/Islam but in this case, there's no cultural/religious reason).

Idk what else to say. It feels like a race against time

In principle, this is extremely easy. It's your body, and a basic right of all children is that to physical integrity. From the evidence of this post alone, it appears you have ample capacity to grant or withold consent to any medical procedure. Your mother has absolutely no right to impose this on you - not least because it is irreversible, and will affect you for the rest of your life.

From a practical point of view, so long as you make your wishes clear, no medical professional would undertake this procedure. They would be in breach of their code of professional ethics and liable to be struck off. So should you find yourself in a consultation, make sure you state your position. Ask to see the doctor in private if necessary.
I completely agree with Luke (above). You are clearly old enough to decide for yourself. You should definitely not have it done if you don’t want it. If you’re under 18, but you’re old enough to have your views considered, then a doctor would not circumcise you without both your consent and parental consent.

Personally, I’m glad that I’m circumcised and my girlfriend prefers it too. My parents had me circumcised as a baby (for non-religious reasons) and I’m grateful to them. Not everyone would agree, but I think it’s a good thing and is well worth considering. It must be your decision - not forced on you. You should speak honestly with your mum about this; you could ask her if she’s so keen why didn’t she have you done as a baby?
(edited 2 years ago)
Absolutely don't do it, many men that have been circumcised at an later age (not as a baby) find out they lost a lot of sensitivity. The foreskin is where all te pleasurable feelings are, that will be lost. Circumcised men who lost their foreskin as a baby (or before reaching puberty) never experience a fully functional penis.
I agree with KSM87 and NudistLuke. I don’t get why your mum suddenly wants this. Our boys were circumcised as babies and we let them know our reasons when they were young. Has your mum given any further explanation since you posted? But there is also scaremongering above. There are thousands of nerve endings in the inner shaft skin and glans penis so you will still have lots of sensitivity if you do get circumcised.
Original post by bigween
x

…no.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Getting circumcised as an adult was the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I only wish I had been circumcised at birth. In my first marriage, I learned that circumcised males are preferred by most women. Personal hygiene is much easier after .circumcision. As an adult, it can be performed pain free. Your Mom wants the best for you and your future. Trust her!
Original post by Simon Wigbold
Absolutely don't do it, many men that have been circumcised at an later age (not as a baby) find out they lost a lot of sensitivity. The foreskin is where all te pleasurable feelings are, that will be lost. Circumcised men who lost their foreskin as a baby (or before reaching puberty) never experience a fully functional penis.

Wrong! I was circumcised when 19.. No loss of sensitivity! Sex much better and penis easier to clean! Had Frenulectomy too! Love it!

Quick Reply

Latest