The Student Room Group

Contraceptive implant

Poll

How were your/people you know's periods on the contraceptive implant?

I went to the GP today to ask about the contraceptive implant and they were more than happy to do it, and encouraged me to, I'm concerned about the stories I keep hearing where people have mega, 3 month periods and stuff when they first get the implant, and then having horrific periods lasting 10 days and really heavy.

I found a statistic that only 30% of women suffer with mega periods, and the rest with regular/lessened/nonexistant periods but it was only on a blog so I can't really trust it.

So please, just can I have a few answers, to see how many people know of people with it going wrong, have had it gone wrong or (even better) the opposite - people who love it!
Reply 1
It will affect everyone diferently, it isn't possible to judge how it will affect you by a poll of other people. But one good thing about the contraceptive implant is that if you don't like the effects you personally experience, then (unlike depo or the pill) you can have it taken out.

I've never had the implant, but I have a mirena coil which is just fantastic. Its worth trying a few different types of contraception (I've been through condoms, various pills, contraceptive patches, depo and now the coil) because there will be something that works best for you, and that you can live with. Not all of them will be great, but if the implant isn't your thing, you can have it taken out and try something else :smile:
I voted non-existant because that's normally what it is. I have had the implant for 15 months and for about 11 of those i've had no periods but the rest of the time i've been pretty much constantly bleeding =/
Reply 3
Original post by Vohamanah
It will affect everyone diferently, it isn't possible to judge how it will affect you by a poll of other people. But one good thing about the contraceptive implant is that if you don't like the effects you personally experience, then (unlike depo or the pill) you can have it taken out.

I've never had the implant, but I have a mirena coil which is just fantastic. Its worth trying a few different types of contraception (I've been through condoms, various pills, contraceptive patches, depo and now the coil) because there will be something that works best for you, and that you can live with. Not all of them will be great, but if the implant isn't your thing, you can have it taken out and try something else :smile:

I know it'll be different for everyone but I was just hoping I could get an idea of the percentages. To reassure me sort of!
Reply 4
I have recently had mine replaced after 3 years. When I had it inserted my periods stopped completely apart from infrequent spotting during the first 2 months. Since around last December I'd been having irregular periods which were no heavier than my ususal ones before the implant. This was around 2 years and 2 months after the implant was inserted. The irregularity did bother me but they offered me the pill to control it which I refused. I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago and have had no bleeding since so fingers crossed!

It is different with other people, I had the injection first which is the same hormone in a different concentration and had no bleeding during the 3 months that lasted. Maybe that's worth trying first if you're worried?
Reply 5
When i got mine they told me a third of girls periods got heavier, a third stayed the same and a third got lighter/stopped with the implant.

For me, I had my implant put in a year and a half ago and since then have had maybe one or two light periods that lasted about two days? but none within the last year, which has been so good!

I think its different for everyone but i would advise that if you do get it, you stick with it for a bit to see how it is...when i got mine put in a bled for over two weeks i think and thought it was going to be awful but since that ended its been great!

No other real side effects apart from occasionally i can be more emotional, but thats not often.
Reply 6
Original post by a_n_o_n
When i got mine they told me a third of girls periods got heavier, a third stayed the same and a third got lighter/stopped with the implant.

For me, I had my implant put in a year and a half ago and since then have had maybe one or two light periods that lasted about two days? but none within the last year, which has been so good!

I think its different for everyone but i would advise that if you do get it, you stick with it for a bit to see how it is...when i got mine put in a bled for over two weeks i think and thought it was going to be awful but since that ended its been great!

No other real side effects apart from occasionally i can be more emotional, but thats not often.

Yeah that's the statistic I heard.

I, stupidly, have my implant appointment booked for 10 days before I go on holiday... Did not think that one through. Not that I'm a big swimmer, so it's not a big deal, really.
Reply 7
Original post by skunky x
Yeah that's the statistic I heard.

I, stupidly, have my implant appointment booked for 10 days before I go on holiday... Did not think that one through. Not that I'm a big swimmer, so it's not a big deal, really.

Well the period I did have for two weeks when i first got it was a lot lighter than usual (and my periods were never very heavy before) so hopefully it wont bother you too much on holiday!
Context:
Naturally, used to get extremely heavy and painful/nauseating periods, which were reasonably long-lasting (4 days proper bleeding, couple of days tail-off), and came every 4 weeks-ish.

Then went on microgynon. Withdrawal bleeds still quite heavy, but nowhere near as painful as natural periods had been. Duration a little less than before (2-3 days proper bleed). However, often took pills continuously to avoid having any periods.

Implant:

0-3 Months:
I had a long period of continuous and then almost-continuous bleeding. But this was light, and not painful - a nuisance more than anything.

3-6 months:
Annoyed by semi-continuous bleeding - Took microgynon (in the normal way) in addition to the implant to have regular periods. These were as when I was just taking MG, but much lighter and not painful at all.

6-12 months:
Gradually weaned off the microgynon use. After this had v irregular bleeding about 50% of the time, extremely light and painless as before, with occassional more "proper" period like bleeding.

12 months onwards:
Irregular/continuous light bleeding gradually became less and less frequent, and more regular period-like bleeds began.

Periods are now quite normal-good: moderate flow, shorter duration (proper for around 3 days, then slight tail-off) actually hardly ever painful at all, slight discomfort. Actually come round less often than before, now every 5-6 weeks. Can be slightly unpredictable.

I'm 3 years in now, so about to get it replaced. It was (as you can see) rather a lot of bother, but I don't regret it, because even though periods were intially very irregular/continuous, even during that time, the relief from pain/nausea was amazing for me, and also it is such a reliable contraceptive. And now I have periods which are much much better than before in terms of frequency, duration, flow and comfort.

NOTE: Best way to cope with periods is a mooncup! Seriously, no problem with swimming or pretty much anything then.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Context:
Naturally, used to get extremely heavy and painful/nauseating periods, which were reasonably long-lasting (4 days proper bleeding, couple of days tail-off), and came every 4 weeks-ish.

Then went on microgynon. Withdrawal bleeds still quite heavy, but nowhere near as painful as natural periods had been. Duration a little less than before (2-3 days proper bleed). However, often took pills continuously to avoid having any periods.

Implant:

0-3 Months:
I had a long period of continuous and then almost-continuous bleeding. But this was light, and not painful - a nuisance more than anything.

3-6 months:
Annoyed by semi-continuous bleeding - Took microgynon (in the normal way) in addition to the implant to have regular periods. These were as when I was just taking MG, but much lighter and not painful at all.

6-12 months:
Gradually weaned off the microgynon use. After this had v irregular bleeding about 50% of the time, extremely light and painless as before, with occassional more "proper" period like bleeding.

12 months onwards:
Irregular/continuous light bleeding gradually became less and less frequent, and more regular period-like bleeds began.

Periods are now quite normal-good: moderate flow, shorter duration (proper for around 3 days, then slight tail-off) actually hardly ever painful at all, slight discomfort. Actually come round less often than before, now every 5-6 weeks. Can be slightly unpredictable.

I'm 3 years in now, so about to get it replaced. It was (as you can see) rather a lot of bother, but I don't regret it, because even though periods were intially very irregular/continuous, even during that time, the relief from pain/nausea was amazing for me, and also it is such a reliable contraceptive. And now I have periods which are much much better than before in terms of frequency, duration, flow and comfort.

NOTE: Best way to cope with periods is a mooncup! Seriously, no problem with swimming or pretty much anything then.

That's fantastic! Thanks!
Glad to see that the majority of people's 'mega periods' after getting the implant were light/spotting.

And I already use the mooncup - I just don't swim much any way so it's not a big deal!
Original post by skunky x
That's fantastic! Thanks!
Glad to see that the majority of people's 'mega periods' after getting the implant were light/spotting.

And I already use the mooncup - I just don't swim much any way so it's not a big deal!

I think it's worth it. If you have too much bleeding, you can always use a pill as well (I didn't just do that randomnly, it was on consultation with the doc!)
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I think it's worth it. If you have too much bleeding, you can always use a pill as well (I didn't just do that randomnly, it was on consultation with the doc!)

I heard that - I always thought it was odd doubling up on hormones, but if a doctor prescribed it... Hey! Must work!
Reply 12
My personal experience of the implant was basically continuous heavy bleeding for about 6 months or so straight - they did try putting me on the pill microgynon but it barely made any difference, needless to say I got it removed after that because I was in college at the time and aside from feeling constantly gross because of the bleeding, as you can imagine, the amount of blood I was losing was making me very tired, I found it even harder to concentrate then usual etc and was fine a few days after it got taken out. I get the same to a degree (really greasy skin, on and off bleeding, too heavy for me to consider it spotting, mood swings etc) if I take my current pill loestrin 30 for more than 3 months in a row without any breaks, I do however have PCOS, so I think my body is maybe just a bit super sensitive when it comes to hormones - when I was on just microgynon alone, I was having bad headaches, mood swings, irregular bleeding, bad skin etc even after 3 months, until I switched pills. Different things work different on different people, especially true for women and hormones because ours can have so many different factors that can affect the way we can handle them.
Reply 13
Original post by MoonGazer
My personal experience of the implant was basically continuous heavy bleeding for about 6 months or so straight - they did try putting me on the pill microgynon but it barely made any difference, needless to say I got it removed after that because I was in college at the time and aside from feeling constantly gross because of the bleeding, as you can imagine, the amount of blood I was losing was making me very tired, I found it even harder to concentrate then usual etc and was fine a few days after it got taken out. I get the same to a degree (really greasy skin, on and off bleeding, too heavy for me to consider it spotting, mood swings etc) if I take my current pill loestrin 30 for more than 3 months in a row without any breaks, I do however have PCOS, so I think my body is maybe just a bit super sensitive when it comes to hormones - when I was on just microgynon alone, I was having bad headaches, mood swings, irregular bleeding, bad skin etc even after 3 months, until I switched pills. Different things work different on different people, especially true for women and hormones because ours can have so many different factors that can affect the way we can handle them.

Wow that seems pretty horrible - but I guess the PCOS played a large part...
I was on the implant for a year. The first 6 months, I bled constantly. After 6 months, they gave me the combined pill to take and that stopped the periods. After 6 months doing that, they told me I should get the implant out because it obviously wasn't working for me and the pill was. When I stopped taking the pill, I started bleeding again. I've been on the pill now for over a year I think and it has been fine.
That said, I know someone who had the exact opposite problem to me, and the implant was perfect for them.

I always had regular periods and no other problems, so it must have been something in the hormones used in the implant that affected me. I had the option of trying the injection too, but was warned that it could have the same affect as the implant, so I didn't bother.

So yeah, I would definitely try it out. Honestly, I really wish it had worked for me. It would be so much easier. It does affect anyone differently, and if it works for you then it's great.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I had a long period for the first 3/4 weeks, (compared to 4 days normally) but it was basically just spotting after the first week. then after that I have had irregular periods,

first 6 months: 4 periods, heavy, then week long spotting
months 6-12: 3 periods, all very light
months 12-15(now): none

twice I did have EXTREMELY bad cramps, compared to no cramps before the implant
My best friend has the implant and she had a heavy period when she first got the implant and then regular but a lot lighter periods for the first 3 months or so and since then she rarely has a period and shes been on it for about a year and a half now.

I have the marina coil and weirdly the same thing as my friend on the implant happened to me with the coil and I got my coil a couple of weeks after she got her implant.

We both used to have extremely heavy periods with really bad period pains. I was on tablets for it but they only really worked if I took them before I started having the pain so I had to predict when I was going to have it. :unimpressed: But now I rarely get a period and if I do its extremely light and lasts like 2 days, rarely with any pain. And I've noticed they usually only come on if I'm stressed.

I do think though that different things do work better for different people and the best thing you can do is try the one that would be the most convenient for you and see how it goes.

One thing I will say though is that when I had the coil put in it did hurt ALOT. Like... the worst period pain ever. I think this might be partly because its more commonly for women who've had children but it was the most convenient method for me. I can't have the pill or the implant for medical reasons otherwise I would probably have tried the implant. But since the first couple of days after I got the coil, I've had maybe 2 incidents of mild period pain and I just took a couple of painkillers and I was fine!

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make! :biggrin:
I had my implant put in almost 2 years ago for the first year it was great no problems periods were regular and light only lasted a couple of days I am now having periods that last for weeks at a time 2 months ago I was practically on all month came off for a few days and came back on again then my period stopped for about a month and now I have been back on for over 2 weeks it's a right pain for me and for my boyfriend is the best option for me to have the implant taken out?

Latest