The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

How hard is it to do well?

Hi,

I'm due to start my Psychology degree in October; I am just wondering what to expect? I.e tests, essays etc? I haven't studied since school and am wondering if I'll manage ok. I'd really like to get good grades, but as i was only a B/C grade student at school, I'm not sure how i'll do :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hiya, how long ago was it since you were at school?

I'm 23 year old. I failed A-level maths at 6th form, and then dropped out all together a year later with no qualifications other than my GCSEs which were average 1A 4B 3C 3D.

4 years later I decided to study with the OU, taking MST121 & MS221 (2 maths modules). I maintained marks over 90% for all assignments, and hopefully have achieved a 2:1 in the level 2 module (over 70% in the exam). This just goes to show that once you know what you want to do and have a bit of a drive to do it, then for most people I'd imagine that it's possible to get decent grades. It would be difficult not to pass provided you do the required workload.

Drop me a message if you need any help with OU stuff, tho I know nothing about psychology!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'll second what Mr Lemming says. If you do the workload, you'll pass. Even if you struggle with some of the concepts in the modules as long as you have a basic understanding, you'll pass. As for how well you pass, that depends on how demanding the module is and how much effort you put in.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hiya, how long ago was it since you were at school?

I'm 23 year old. I failed A-level maths at 6th form, and then dropped out all together a year later with no qualifications other than my GCSEs which were average 1A 4B 3C 3D.

4 years later I decided to study with the OU, taking MST121 & MS221 (2 maths modules). I maintained marks over 90% for all assignments, and hopefully have achieved a 2:1 in the level 2 module (over 70% in the exam). This just goes to show that once you know what you want to do and have a bit of a drive to do it, then for most people I'd imagine that it's possible to get decent grades. It would be difficult not to pass provided you do the required workload.

Drop me a message if you need any help with OU stuff, tho I know nothing about psychology!

I'm 22, left school in 2005. Have just done a Health & Social Care Diploma, though don't think this is anything like degree study. And I may just take you up on your offer of help with OU! Thanks :smile:

Reply 4
It all depends on your mindset, how much you're able to focus, and how willing you are to sit down and do the work. Okay, there's definitely a degree of difference between one person and the next in terms of their innate ability to understand, manipulate and contrast complex ideas, but I reckon a lot comes down to will. At the equivalent to GCSEs in Sweden I had all Cs and one B, and for my A-level equivalent I was on a B average. I took two years out before going to university, and graduated this summer at the top of my year of some 130 students and five prizes for my performance (braggity braggity boast boast)- I was never a particularly good student, but I've never been stupid as such. The difference between me in university and me a few years earlier is one of maturity and dedication - while a lot of my course mates did the bare minimum to get a pass or a B (a lot of people, oddly, seem to aim for a 2.1, which I'm grateful for as it worked in my favour), I'd sit and work my arse off until I felt the essay was as good as I could get it or I knew as much as I was ever going to before an exam.

I know a lot of other people from various universities who achieved high firsts as well, and while they are definitely intelligent people, I also know that they would work up to 14 hours per day even during term (i.e. not revision). Hard work pays, and if you actually like the subject you've opted for, it doesn't feel much like work for most of the time. That said, there were times where I was extremely fed up, but push through the barriers and keep at it and I'll sure you'll do absolutely fine - if not outstandingly well. :wink:

EDIT: As for what sort of work to expect, I would imagine psychology to be quite similar to management/marketing (which is what I did). A lot of our concepts come from psychology and I'd spend a lot of time reading psychology journals. Anyway, as it's a social science I would imagine that you will be doing a heck of a lot of reading, and probably a fair old bit of essay writing. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of your modules are 40-50% essay based, with exams consists of 2-3 essay answers. That's just a guess, though, and reflective of my own experience rather than any knowledge of psychology degrees. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Salgoud
It all depends on your mindset, how much you're able to focus, and how willing you are to sit down and do the work. Okay, there's definitely a degree of difference between one person and the next in terms of their innate ability to understand, manipulate and contrast complex ideas, but I reckon a lot comes down to will. At the equivalent to GCSEs in Sweden I had all Cs and one B, and for my A-level equivalent I was on a B average. I took two years out before going to university, and graduated this summer at the top of my year of some 130 students and five prizes for my performance (braggity braggity boast boast)- I was never a particularly good student, but I've never been stupid as such. The difference between me in university and me a few years earlier is one of maturity and dedication - while a lot of my course mates did the bare minimum to get a pass or a B (a lot of people, oddly, seem to aim for a 2.1, which I'm grateful for as it worked in my favour), I'd sit and work my arse off until I felt the essay was as good as I could get it or I knew as much as I was ever going to before an exam.

I know a lot of other people from various universities who achieved high firsts as well, and while they are definitely intelligent people, I also know that they would work up to 14 hours per day even during term (i.e. not revision). Hard work pays, and if you actually like the subject you've opted for, it doesn't feel much like work for most of the time. That said, there were times where I was extremely fed up, but push through the barriers and keep at it and I'll sure you'll do absolutely fine - if not outstandingly well. :wink:

EDIT: As for what sort of work to expect, I would imagine psychology to be quite similar to management/marketing (which is what I did). A lot of our concepts come from psychology and I'd spend a lot of time reading psychology journals. Anyway, as it's a social science I would imagine that you will be doing a heck of a lot of reading, and probably a fair old bit of essay writing. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of your modules are 40-50% essay based, with exams consists of 2-3 essay answers. That's just a guess, though, and reflective of my own experience rather than any knowledge of psychology degrees. :smile:

Thanks for your help! Very informative!

Original post by lazydazy
Hi,

I'm due to start my Psychology degree in October; I am just wondering what to expect? I.e tests, essays etc? I haven't studied since school and am wondering if I'll manage ok. I'd really like to get good grades, but as i was only a B/C grade student at school, I'm not sure how i'll do :s

Hi

I've just joined TSR a few minutes ago and I am registered on the BSc(Hons) Psychology starting 1st October. I've no idea what its like, but I'm in the middle of a 15 credit module towards my degree at the moment and I'm finding it easy to be honest, though it was a challenge writing my first essay :biggrin:

Thought I'd say hi as we are going to be on the same degree course :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Scottishsunrise
Hi

I've just joined TSR a few minutes ago and I am registered on the BSc(Hons) Psychology starting 1st October. I've no idea what its like, but I'm in the middle of a 15 credit module towards my degree at the moment and I'm finding it easy to be honest, though it was a challenge writing my first essay :biggrin:

Thought I'd say hi as we are going to be on the same degree course :smile:

Hey! Would be great to keep in contact and perhaps help each other along the way! What's your first module? Mine is "Introducing the Social Sciences"

Hey! Would be great to keep in contact and perhaps help each other along the way! What's your first module? Mine is "Introducing the Social Sciences"

I'd like that, supporting each other and keeping in contact sounds a great idea. I'm in the middle of 'Starting with Psychology' and will be doing your module next year. I'm on the 30 credit 'Understanding Psychology' starting 1st October. Just sent off my first TMA, so excited to get my results back and see how I did. I'm looking forward to the Social Sciences module, it looks very interesting. I'll send a friend request :smile:

From what I have heard from others who have done it, the first year of the BSc Psychology isn't too bad, the 2nd year a bit harder etc. Majority of the TMA's are essays and there is of course lots of reading. I think we'll both enjoy it :smile:

I just bought the academic program EndnoteX5 for easier bibliography and referencing and already its a great help. Have you joined the FB group for your module? I've found it a big help.
Reply 10
I'd like that, supporting each other and keeping in contact sounds a great idea. I'm in the middle of 'Starting with Psychology' and will be doing your module next year. I'm on the 30 credit 'Understanding Psychology' starting 1st October. Just sent off my first TMA, so excited to get my results back and see how I did. I'm looking forward to the Social Sciences module, it looks very interesting. I'll send a friend request :smile:

So how are you finding the TMA's? What are they like?

Reply 11
From what I have heard from others who have done it, the first year of the BSc Psychology isn't too bad, the 2nd year a bit harder etc. Majority of the TMA's are essays and there is of course lots of reading. I think we'll both enjoy it :smile:

I just bought the academic program EndnoteX5 for easier bibliography and referencing and already its a great help. Have you joined the FB group for your module? I've found it a big help.

I didn't know there was a FB group! How would I find it?

Quick Reply

Latest