The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow uni 2013 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katep1
No, unfortunately it is not a subject on its own, until the honours...

Ah, oh well then :tongue: guess it's down to choosing between Biology or Physics :tongue:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 181
Original post by rach_kirke
do glasgow do any kind of post applicant open day or anything? just curious :smile:

Yes they do its on 26th march 2013
http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/visit/opendays/applicantsvisit/
French/Spanish offer: ABB
so chuffed! :smile:
Reply 183
Just got an offer for Economics - ABB.
Never been so happy!
Reply 184
Got an offer for English and Theatre, a day after sending it off! Insanely happy right now.
Reply 185
Original post by liesels
Got an offer for English and Theatre, a day after sending it off! Insanely happy right now.

Hey! Congrats! I'm thinking about applying for Politics and Theatre. I have a passion for the two subjects and Glasgow university does seem perfect for allowing me to study both at the same time. Seeing as you have applied and been made an offer I was wondering whether you could fill me in on the Theatre course and how practical it is... Does performance play a part in it at all?
Reply 186
Hi! I feel so out of my element, being an International student and all...:h: but there's not much on college confidential and Glasgow's definitely my top choice.

Any help will be much appreciated :smile:

Name: Sasha
Course: Politics/Sociology
Currently Studying: Chemistry, Micro and Macro Economics, Comparative Government and Politics, Literature, Latin, Music, Calculus, and Social Science Research.
Reply 187
Original post by Fia!
Hey! Congrats! I'm thinking about applying for Politics and Theatre. I have a passion for the two subjects and Glasgow university does seem perfect for allowing me to study both at the same time. Seeing as you have applied and been made an offer I was wondering whether you could fill me in on the Theatre course and how practical it is... Does performance play a part in it at all?

I'll do my best, but it seems like a long time ago I went to the open day now, so sorry if it's all a bit vague.

I remember them saying that the course is mainly theory based, but in order to explore the theory you've got to use practical, because the two are inseparable... if that makes sense? So performance does play a huge role, but through the perspective of theory. Fairly similar to A Level Theatre, I think, if you take it?

Hope that helps, I'll try and answer any more questions if you have them!
Reply 188
Original post by liesels
I'll do my best, but it seems like a long time ago I went to the open day now, so sorry if it's all a bit vague.

I remember them saying that the course is mainly theory based, but in order to explore the theory you've got to use practical, because the two are inseparable... if that makes sense? So performance does play a huge role, but through the perspective of theory. Fairly similar to A Level Theatre, I think, if you take it?

Hope that helps, I'll try and answer any more questions if you have them!

Thanks...I understand what you mean. I did do Theatre for A level. There was an enormous amount of theory and analysis, but they were married with the two performance's that we did as part of our examination. Perhaps that is what Glasgow is offering too. I read in the prospectus that in year 3 and 4 the optional courses include 'advanced practical' 'applied theatre practices' and 'directing' etc indicating they accommodate you to how practical you want to be when you're further down the line?
Reply 189
Original post by Fia!
Thanks...I understand what you mean. I did do Theatre for A level. There was an enormous amount of theory and analysis, but they were married with the two performance's that we did as part of our examination. Perhaps that is what Glasgow is offering too. I read in the prospectus that in year 3 and 4 the optional courses include 'advanced practical' 'applied theatre practices' and 'directing' etc indicating they accommodate you to how practical you want to be when you're further down the line?

Yeah, the honours courses seem to a be a lot more flexible. There's a module on playwriting (I think in the third year?) which is pretty much what I want to do after Uni, so I'll definitely be taking that if I'm at Glasgow.

Where else are you considering?
Hey

Course: Medicine (interview), chemistry and mathematics (unconditional)
Currently studying : Adv Higher Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Higher physics
Already achieved: AAAAB

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 191
Original post by liesels
Yeah, the honours courses seem to a be a lot more flexible. There's a module on playwriting (I think in the third year?) which is pretty much what I want to do after Uni, so I'll definitely be taking that if I'm at Glasgow.

Where else are you considering?

Yeah, there is! I would be interested in doing that too.
I'm definately applying to Glasgow and I am considering applying to York and Bristol. I haven't decided about any other one's yet.
Yourself?
Reply 192
Original post by Maria Despoina
yea it is! How about you?:smile:

No, its not. I've heard a lot about Glasgow so I just decided to apply but I'm not really focused on going there. :-/
Reply 193
Lots of people asking about the city in general. I don't live there but I live pretty close and go there often. It's a great city, easy to get to and get about (subway takes you right to the uni campus) and it has amazing night life. Lots of gig venues etc. if you're into that. A real student-y feel I'd say haha. As someone has asked, yeah there is dodgy bits but where doesn't have it's not so nice bits? And as said before, you're not likely to be going to those places.

Name: Nicole
Course: Business Management and German/Psychology (I'm applying to glasgow twice)
Grades achieved so far: AABBC
Currently studying: Adv Maths, Higher art&design, psychology and graphic communication.

It's my first choice and i really hope i get in. Planning to send my application in the next month, just finishing my PS and choices :smile:
Reply 194
hey, i'm also an international student, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the life in Glasgow, and about the city. I've heard very mixed opinions about it
:smile:
Glasgow is a busy and lively place. It has plently of shops and places to go. You have the shopping centres, St Enochs and Buchannan Galleries. You have George Square which is always nice on a sunny day, which we rarely have. You have loads of stuff to see. There's the People's Palace to Botanic Gardens. It's a big city and I've not even seen all of it. I'm from the east end and I hope to live in the west end so I'll be nearer the university. I can say one thing, you'll never be bored here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plenty*

It has it's good and bad bits. You get nice people and horrible people wherever you go. But I think it's a friendly enough place. I like it here. It's not full of neds. And you can't even stereotype because some of these "neds" may be the nicest people you ever meet. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by amycharlotte
Plenty*

It has it's good and bad bits. You get nice people and horrible people wherever you go. But I think it's a friendly enough place. I like it here. It's not full of neds. And you can't even stereotype because some of these "neds" may be the nicest people you ever meet. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! I'm coming from a very small capital, so i'm really looking forward to a big city:smile:
Got an unconditional offer for English Lit! don't really want to go to Glasgow but at least I could use it for adjustment if my favs don't give me an offer.
Katep1, if you have any other questions about Glasgow just ask me! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending