The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow uni 2013 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I got an offer to do Maths and French last Monday, they seem to be really keen to get their offers out!!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Yeah I submitted my application on the 1st of October and got my unconditional on the 2nd... My friend submitted her ucas on saturday and got an unconditional yesterday - they clearly know what they want
Reply 102
Original post by coffeelass
Yeah I submitted my application on the 1st of October and got my unconditional on the 2nd... My friend submitted her ucas on saturday and got an unconditional yesterday - they clearly know what they want

Congratulations! As I applied to Glasgow 3 weeks ago, clearly I'm not it! Lol. Oh well never mind. Though I have applied for Earth Science and I haven't seen any Earth Science applicants with any offers yet. In addition to that, I'm applying for entry to the 2nd year, so that may also have something to do with it. Or am I just being dillusional? :confused:
Hello, fellow prospective students of Glasgow University! :biggrin:

Name: Amy
Course: English Literature and Law
Currently studying: Advanced Higher Maths and History. Higher Biology and Computing.

I'm terrified of sending away my UCAS application in case I change my mind, again. Also I have no idea what I should write in my personal statement as I'm applying for different courses, e.g my second option at Glasgow is English Literature and History. Oh, fun! We've basically had no help with personal statements at my school.. O.O
Reply 104
Im also applying, for the anatomy course:smile: I come from Italy, and will not be able to go to the open days..anyone who has seen it-how is the campus? And is there anyone applying for anatomy?
katepi, the campus is superb! :biggrin: Although the medical students have a different building, I'm sure. Glasgow has quite a spread out campus. Check the website for Glasgow, it'll have pictures of the place and will have a map of where anatomy will be studied. :tongue:
Original post by Loz-ox
Hiya!

So, I'm definitely going to apply to Glasgow for 2013 entry. I've seen threads like this one in other uni forums so I thought I'd start one here too.

If you're thinking of applying then post your details below! :biggrin:

Name: Lauren
Course: English Lit, not sure which subjects I'd like to study alongside it just yet.
Currently studying: English Lit, Psychology, History, Classics, Sociology

Hello,

I've definitely decided to apply to Glasgow too, i'm a bit scared because I haven't applied yet and other people seem to have already and got offers!

Name:Rosa
Course: History of Art
Currently studying: History of Art, Classics and English Lit
katepi I've found a virtual tour of Glasgow University!!!
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=55.871726,-4.289094&spn=0.001138,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=55.871726,-4.289093&panoid=HzL351y0_v8LwvZbzQyMIg&cbp=12,163.7,,0,-17.41

Same, rivernile, I don't understand how everyone is getting offers this early!
Applied last Friday, I've had an acknowledgement but nothing since. Fingers crossed!

Name: Lucy
Course: Medicine
Currently studying: Biology, Chemistry and Physics

Good luck everyone!
I got an unconditional for Geography (BSc) last night - I sent my application off last Thursday. :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by amycharlotte
katepi I've found a virtual tour of Glasgow University!!!
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=55.871726,-4.289094&spn=0.001138,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=55.871726,-4.289093&panoid=HzL351y0_v8LwvZbzQyMIg&cbp=12,163.7,,0,-17.41

Same, rivernile, I don't understand how everyone is getting offers this early!

Thank you! :smile:)
It's okay katep1! :biggrin: I hope you enjoy Glasgow.
Reply 112
Hi there!

I sent my application on Monday and got a conditional for economics from Glasgow 18 hours later.

1. I saw from this thread that other future undergraduates got unconditionals. What to do to get an unconditional? I mean I thought it was only delivered to little Einsteins in their respective areas or to post-gap year students who already had passed their exams and the grades were known (so they already fulfilled the requirements).:confused:

2. I dont understand the fact that on the main 2013 applicants thread for all unis, 1 in 3 of the offers received by the applicants posting their accomplishments, were from Glasgow Uni. How to interprete this? How come they are giving away offers to everyone? In the end, the number of places is limited...:confused:

3. Anyone got offers for economics?

Good luck to all of u and congrats to those who already got their offers from Glasgow!(however common this may be in the case of Glasgow):smile:
Reply 113
Original post by trouducul
Hi there!

I sent my application on Monday and got a conditional for economics from Glasgow 18 hours later.

1. I saw from this thread that other future undergraduates got unconditionals. What to do to get an unconditional? I mean I thought it was only delivered to little Einsteins in their respective areas or to post-gap year students who already had passed their exams and the grades were known (so they already fulfilled the requirements).:confused:

Many Scottish students have already sat their higher exams when they apply to university, and the offers are based on that. So unconditional offers are not uncommon.
Hi there!

2. I dont understand the fact that on the main 2013 applicants thread for all unis, 1 in 3 of the offers received by the applicants posting their accomplishments, were from Glasgow Uni. How to interprete this? How come they are giving away offers to everyone? In the end, the number of places is limited...:confused:

3. Anyone got offers for economics?

Good luck to all of u and congrats to those who already got their offers from Glasgow!(however common this may be in the case of Glasgow):smile:

1.Norton1 is right, living in Glasgow myself I sat my highers (AS equivalent) last school year. In the case of Scottish students, these are the grades which Scottish unis look at because over here it is typically a 4 year course (unlike a 3 year course in England) and year 1 is virtually the same as an Advanced Higher (A level equivalent) so they are not normally necessary - unless you are applying to an uber competitive course such as dentistry or medicine. Scottish candidates also can receive conditionals like english folks if they do not achieve certain required grades in their first higher sitting and are expected to gain them in 6th year (year 12). English students are required to receive certain grades at A level since AS are not put down on ucas for some reason - so they have no higher equivalent to use!

2. Glasgow pretty much says that they give unconditionals to anyone who achieves certain grades at higher level - usually being around AAAB. Since very few candidates achieve this in their first sitting of highers, they give out offers so quickly because places will still probably be left to fill by the 15th of January (everyone's deadline). However, most other Scottish universities play the waiting game and usually do not give out any offers until after the 15th. For one reason or another, Glasgow does not share this policy - though it is still an excellent university. Simply because offers are given out more quickly doesn't mean more offers are given out. :smile:
Offer for History + Politics AAB woooooooooo!
Reply 116
Original post by Hutchie
1.Norton1 is right, living in Glasgow myself I sat my highers (AS equivalent) last school year. In the case of Scottish students, these are the grades which Scottish unis look at because over here it is typically a 4 year course (unlike a 3 year course in England) and year 1 is virtually the same as an Advanced Higher (A level equivalent) so they are not normally necessary - unless you are applying to an uber competitive course such as dentistry or medicine. Scottish candidates also can receive conditionals like english folks if they do not achieve certain required grades in their first higher sitting and are expected to gain them in 6th year (year 12). English students are required to receive certain grades at A level since AS are not put down on ucas for some reason - so they have no higher equivalent to use!

2. Glasgow pretty much says that they give unconditionals to anyone who achieves certain grades at higher level - usually being around AAAB. Since very few candidates achieve this in their first sitting of highers, they give out offers so quickly because places will still probably be left to fill by the 15th of January (everyone's deadline). However, most other Scottish universities play the waiting game and usually do not give out any offers until after the 15th. For one reason or another, Glasgow does not share this policy - though it is still an excellent university. Simply because offers are given out more quickly doesn't mean more offers are given out. :smile:

thanks for the explanation, it is exactly the one I needed:smile:!
thanks for the explanation, it is exactly the one I needed:smile:!

No problem :smile:
Reply 118
I finally got my offer for the anatomy course! :smile: Anyone else doing the same/similar course?
Original post by katep1
I finally got my offer for the anatomy course! :smile: Anyone else doing the same/similar course?

Well done!! When did you apply? I applied a week ago and am still waiting (and hoping) for an offer. It's so worrying when you see everyone else getting offers within a day or two and you don't :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending