The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
a fire in the sky
I disagree with the presence of premier rugby in so many ways - its basically a body to try and get as much money out of the RFU as possible and an arbiter of the decline in Englands international rugby - they are and have put a massive restriction on the amount of international duty that players can serve, whereas other nations it is country before club, and thats the way it should be.

When I played it went like this :

British Lions
Country
Region (ie England North)
County
County Region
Club

No negotiation, that was the priority of call. I think we should get back to that!
Reply 381
I dont know - if there were actual regional rugby competitions, then I would agree, but considering the way it is, I would say:

Lions
Country
Club

Since those are the only professional levels of playing - regional.etc., are quite a way below that and basically act as development sides, which is the way it should be.
Reply 382
a fire in the sky
I dont know - if there were actual regional rugby competitions, then I would agree, but considering the way it is, I would say:

Lions
Country
Club

Since those are the only professional levels of playing - regional.etc., are quite a way below that and basically act as development sides, which is the way it should be.

If the professionals in the clubs truely are the best, then they should be the ones selected for their county. The priority should remain.
Reply 383
I disagree - that would make it more difficult to attract international talent to the premiership, and that is always good, as these individuals often bring over different styles or techniques of play, which make british rugby evolve quicker and keep up with foreign developments, as well as having our own.
Reply 384
How would it make it harder to get international players? They aren't eligable for a lot of counties anyway.
Reply 385
Thats why it would be harder - international players coming to play in britain want to do so at the highest level of domestic competition, which is why jonah lomu came to play for cardiff not my local team.
Reply 386
a fire in the sky
Thats why it would be harder - international players coming to play in britain want to do so at the highest level of domestic competition, which is why jonah lomu came to play for cardiff not my local team.

County championship is different to domestic leagues though. Representative games aren't comparable to league games.
Reply 387
The thing is though, if you did it as county games you would, I guess, class it by where an individual lives/has been brought up, which is good for having a good progression in amateur rugby, but professional rugby in this country is at a fantastically high level, and that is something which should continue.
Reply 388
I'm glad that thus far the general consensus appears to be for country over club. I totally agree, I mean I know the clubs hold the purse strings, but as a player if you are willing to sell yourself to a variety of clubs over your career then club alliances obs don't matter too much. But your country is like your blood, and blood is thicker than water.

soz, reading that back it sounds so unintelligent compared to your in depth analysis. I can't help it, I got no sleep last night. :p:
Reply 391
hooray!!!! Quins got their 1st victory of the GP!!!! :biggrin:

What of the autumn tests people? Didn't wales play well? I'm kinda glad it was a draw cos they both played so well. And england: we may have lost, but i seriously thought we would get totally annihilated. Glad we managed to get 20 points on the board, even if they did beat us by 21!!! Anthony Allen should be proud of his debut: he may have made a few errors, but heck, you live, you learn. Silens, you must be sooo proud of your boy!!!! And Perry had a good debut too (crikey, only 18 months ago he was a welder and now he's playing the ABs!!! Amazing).

Fandabbydozey! Can't wait for next weeks!!! :smile: :p:
Reply 392
loving the jakass thing, btw. Did u click the "crazy rubgy" vid link after? It's not as good, but I love the way they stick all those ABs games against a Rammstein soundtrack. For some reason it works quite well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_knY8L7lME&NR
Reply 393
England got owned man. Even if they didnt actually play that bad, the Brazillian like counter attack of the All Blacks just kept on nailing them. Dan Carter is a belter, but I still think Jonny is better.

Does anyone know if Jonny will play in any of the Autumn internationals?
Reply 394
err i dont think so. He's only just started back for newcastle and he wasn't in any of the squads selected for the Loughborough training earlier in the season. i think theyll give him time to get back into full time rug beofre any selection. Maybe the 6n tho, who knows.

mmm... love or hate new zealand, you gotta admit, watching them play is awesome, sometimes they just seem in a league of their own. And in the BBC coverage b4 KO when they were analysing Macaw and Carter's best bits, it was just like: "oh wow." Classy. And the Haka: love it. Sends shivers down my spine each time. My old college rug team performed it once at a skool variety show, and we thought they'd just take the pee cos they're a bunch of jokers, but they did it seriously and it just blows you away. And that was when performed by a bunch of non-kiwi weedy 17/18 yr olds. Imagine facing the real thing?!! Fantastic. I LOVE watching the ABs play, even tho I dont support them.
Reply 395
Consie
England got owned man. Even if they didnt actually play that bad, the Brazillian like counter attack of the All Blacks just kept on nailing them. Dan Carter is a belter, but I still think Jonny is better.

Does anyone know if Jonny will play in any of the Autumn internationals?

:confused:
Reply 396
hmm... i think he may be making a reference to that godforsaken sport known as (*crosses herself*) Football. (*cowers in fear of impending lightning bolt*)

Let no comparisons ever be made between the sacred gospel and The Sport Which Must Not Be Named within the hallowed walls of this thread again. Shame on you consie, you should know better. :p:
Omlette, was very proud of my boy! I have managed to convert half of my halls to Glaws fans already. They were well into the match yesterday shouting away at the TV! Bit annoyed that my SU refused to show the rugby. 4 lads were watching the football and about 8 of us wanted the rugby to be on but they wouldn't so we trekked to the nearest pub and they put it on for us.
Hodgson had a normal game for England, we definatly need to find a more reliable kicker but no-one jumps to mind. Thought Perry played well. Balsh, as usual was awful. He's not even Glaws' no1 full-back so who knows how he's Englands no1. Hopefully someone will replace him before the Pumas.
The Haka...one of my most terrifying things to watch! My housemates have never seen it before and were quite worried about what it was!
Reply 398
I watched the game yesterday and thought England played quite well. They were not ruthless enough at taking their chances during the game. The most frightening aspect of the game is that I believe that New Zealand are still not firing on all cylinders.

I thought England had bit more about them than last season, they seemed to have more fight and determination. They need to cut out the unforced errors that gave away at least two cheap tries. They were also denied in my opinion a legitimate try in the first half.

I am a Scotland fan and don't have the blatant dislike for the English rugby team that I have for the football team. I'll be hoping Scotland beat England later in then year but would support England if they go further than us in the World Cup. Although I would support any of the Six Nations teams against their Southern Hemisphere rivals.

In my opinion New Zealand are like Brazil in that they tend to take the best team's to the World Cup but seem to find ways of losing the cup. Although the France Vs New Zealand semi from a few years ago is the best game of rugby I have ever seen.
Reply 399
hmmmm.... i watched both matches alone in my room, consuming copious amounts of chocolate. (I have to have choc when i watch the rug. And if it's a stressful match i will eat loads!!!). I think they're only showing the Welsh matches in our SU (what with me being in cardiff an' all) but they stick sky on the rest of the time and seeing as the eng matches are on sky i may head over there.

I agree, i didn't really see the point of Balsh. Maybe he just didn't get the chance to shine (paul sackey didn't really) but I think maybe they shudda played sum1 else.

And yeh, NZ certainly aren't playing with all cylinders going. And they're still amazing. And I agree with the try thing: it was BLATANTLY a try!!!! Blind video ref!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest