The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Breaking news: Wales lack game-management and composure against the southern hemisphere sides.
Match cancelled tomorrow, boo.
'hon Connacht!

What a result! Great weekend of rugby with some ridiculous tries and some big results.

Shame the English lot are out to ruin it for everyone :mad:
Ulster absolutely wiped Treviso at the weekend. So smug. Gwaaaan Ulster.

EDIT: And they went and did it again. 35-3. LOL.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tigers destroyed Montpelier today for the first 15 mins before letting them back in.
Tackling of 10,12,13,14 and 11 on both sides was poor on both sides tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5665
Did anyone just see the Perpignan vs Munster game? An extremely tense last 10 minutes. Fantastic game. The Heineken Cup delivers once again.
Reply 5667
No surprises as Sonny Bill Williams returns to Union, signing for the Chiefs. It'll be interesting to see if he can break the Nonu-Smith partnership in time for 2015. With Ben Smith also getting some time at centre now their depth there is ridiculous.

Really enjoyed the last couple of weekends of Heineken Cup rugby, shame that it might be the last year of it happening, for a while anyway. These rumours of an English/South African club competition are interesting although I don't have a grasp of the exact logistics.
Reply 5668
Original post by Louis.
Really enjoyed the last couple of weekends of Heineken Cup rugby, shame that it might be the last year of it happening, for a while anyway. These rumours of an English/South African club competition are interesting although I don't have a grasp of the exact logistics.

Don't think it will ever actually happen.

There is simply no appetite for it amongst South Africans, the only people who talk it up 'in SA' are the games administrators when they are haggling with the Antipodeans for control in SANZAR.

Otherwise there are major stumbling blocks in the form of weather. Playing rugby in December, January and early Feb in many places in SA is just asking for all sorts of heat related issues, and that is for local players as well.
Rumours have it that the Welsh regions have been offered a substantial sum of money to move over to the Anglo-Welsh Premiership.

Personally livid about this, mainly because it'll likely spell the end of Worcester as a top-flight outfit. If Wales could take their money problems and second string journeymen sides back to the Rabo that would be fab.

I'm a Munster fan too, so seeing sides ditch the Rabo isn't good news.

Money is ruining the game :sad:
Reply 5670
Original post by pinkpenguin
Rumours have it that the Welsh regions have been offered a substantial sum of money to move over to the Anglo-Welsh Premiership.

Personally livid about this, mainly because it'll likely spell the end of Worcester as a top-flight outfit. If Wales could take their money problems and second string journeymen sides back to the Rabo that would be fab.

I'm a Munster fan too, so seeing sides ditch the Rabo isn't good news.

Money is ruining the game :sad:

If they're second string journeymen sides why are you worried about them beating Worcester? It's all stemming from the lack of control they have over their own future. All of the revenue the regions make goes through the WRU before being spoon fed back to the regions through a forced players agreement. The regions don't see it as fair that 1: The WRU negotiate all of their deals for them to a standard they see as poor, the rabo tv contracts are pitiful compared to the French and English leagues, and 2: the WRU force their terms onto them, they have no say in their own future in terms of leagues and money. Welsh players are leaving in droves and I think the regions don't like the fact that they can't change that without this action. With the extra money on the table more Welsh sides will keep good players, and you could have a better standard league and possibly the blueprints for a British league.
Original post by Joel95
If they're second string journeymen sides why are you worried about them beating Worcester? It's all stemming from the lack of control they have over their own future. All of the revenue the regions make goes through the WRU before being spoon fed back to the regions through a forced players agreement. The regions don't see it as fair that 1: The WRU negotiate all of their deals for them to a standard they see as poor, the rabo tv contracts are pitiful compared to the French and English leagues, and 2: the WRU force their terms onto them, they have no say in their own future in terms of leagues and money. Welsh players are leaving in droves and I think the regions don't like the fact that they can't change that without this action. With the extra money on the table more Welsh sides will keep good players, and you could have a better standard league and possibly the blueprints for a British league.

I'm not worried about them beating Worcester. I'm worried about the obvious bloated Premiership if we include an extra 4 teams, meaning 3-4 sides will have to be relegated to ensure this isn't a disaster of a season for the players. Which means Worcester will go down.
Particularly because they won't bring the 4 Welsh sides over and then let them get relegated to the Championship straight away. They'd let 3-4 English sides out to pasture for a load of Welsh teams with no Welsh internationals playing for them, teams which realistically a fair chunk of the Premiership could and would beat. Worcester, in fact, have their only win of this season away at Cardiff. Regardless, promotion and relegation would have to go for fear of losing a Welsh side to the Championship, as if it's an Anglo-Welsh league there has to be a decent number of Welsh sides in it. Then the bottom half of the Premiership would become as pointless as a large chunk of the Rabo, making the league crappier and not worth the investment.

I feel sorry for the Welsh regions and the money situation. It sucks hard, and it's a shame to see a load of Welsh players going elsewhere (as an aside however: if the rumours that Halfpenny was asking too much from Clermont to the extent they had to refuse his proposal, some of the players could do with someone questioning their loyalty).

But I am a Worcester fan. And an Anglo-Welsh league, or even a British league (although surely this would be British and Irish if it happened?) would cause Worcester's demise. So I am against any course of action that would lead to Worcester's relegation from the top leagues.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5672
So Freddie Burns looks set to be a Leicester player, I imagine they'll rein him in a bit and he'll play a style more amiable to the England setup. Flood pissing off to France probably leaves a space in the squad too.

Six Nations under a month away, although i'm struggling to predict much. The rule is that France win after Lions tours but that would be a bold call. England and Ireland have arguably lost their most important players, in Tuilagi and O'Brien, for some if not all of the tournament. Which leaves Wales, who'd have to win at Twickenham and/or The Aviva.

I'm going to be optimistic and say our pack and Farrell's goal kicking will win it for us, scraping past Wales at Twickenham.
Reply 5673
Original post by pinkpenguin
I'm not worried about them beating Worcester. I'm worried about the obvious bloated Premiership if we include an extra 4 teams, meaning 3-4 sides will have to be relegated to ensure this isn't a disaster of a season for the players. Which means Worcester will go down.
Particularly because they won't bring the 4 Welsh sides over and then let them get relegated to the Championship straight away. They'd let 3-4 English sides out to pasture for a load of Welsh teams with no Welsh internationals playing for them, teams which realistically a fair chunk of the Premiership could and would beat. Worcester, in fact, have their only win of this season away at Cardiff. Regardless, promotion and relegation would have to go for fear of losing a Welsh side to the Championship, as if it's an Anglo-Welsh league there has to be a decent number of Welsh sides in it. Then the bottom half of the Premiership would become as pointless as a large chunk of the Rabo, making the league crappier and not worth the investment.

I feel sorry for the Welsh regions and the money situation. It sucks hard, and it's a shame to see a load of Welsh players going elsewhere (as an aside however: if the rumours that Halfpenny was asking too much from Clermont to the extent they had to refuse his proposal, some of the players could do with someone questioning their loyalty).

But I am a Worcester fan. And an Anglo-Welsh league, or even a British league (although surely this would be British and Irish if it happened?) would cause Worcester's demise. So I am against any course of action that would lead to Worcester's relegation from the top leagues.

That's fair enough. Ultimately I think a European multi tier league or British league will have to happen in order to facilitate the re-structuring of the game that needs to happen in the Northern hemisphere. Currently the calendar of our pro game is in the hangover of the amateur days, and as much as I wish that players still showed loyalty to their home regions (and that it was demanded by fans of big clubs too, who aren't so easily swayed when a millionaire decides to buy a whole team only loyal to money) we need to move on in some ways to maximise the ability of the game to make the most of what it has. English and Welsh top players might well in one year play in their respective leagues, the LV cup, Heineken cup, six nations and autumn interntionals. A properly structured season is needed to keep local players and boost crouds and interest across Europe, as well as putting us in a better position to beat the Southern hemisphere (although really England should definitely still be able to do that despite any inconveniences, due to their player base). A British and Irish league is probably the only way that will ever happen.
Original post by Joel95
That's fair enough. Ultimately I think a European multi tier league or British league will have to happen in order to facilitate the re-structuring of the game that needs to happen in the Northern hemisphere. Currently the calendar of our pro game is in the hangover of the amateur days, and as much as I wish that players still showed loyalty to their home regions (and that it was demanded by fans of big clubs too, who aren't so easily swayed when a millionaire decides to buy a whole team only loyal to money) we need to move on in some ways to maximise the ability of the game to make the most of what it has. English and Welsh top players might well in one year play in their respective leagues, the LV cup, Heineken cup, six nations and autumn interntionals. A properly structured season is needed to keep local players and boost crouds and interest across Europe, as well as putting us in a better position to beat the Southern hemisphere (although really England should definitely still be able to do that despite any inconveniences, due to their player base). A British and Irish league is probably the only way that will ever happen.

It's a tough one - I think the beauty of rugby is how it still harks back to the amateur days of old. If we get too Rugby League (pandering to the fans at the expense of the game) or too American (franchise nonsense) we could lose the heart of the game a little bit.

I think if we are to have some kind of pan-European competition, there needs to be an equal salary cap to reflect it so that England and France can't draw all the megastars for their Globetrotters sides. Hopefully the behaviour of the Top 14 sides re: signing all internationals will backfire on the French national team and we could see some backlash.

Personally, I think the northern hemisphere sides are quite capable of beating the southern hemisphere without an overhaul of the season. Quite simply, a lesser focus on the gym (Gatland + England = big culprits here) and a greater focus on basic fitness, skills and game awareness will help us develop the style of rugby that can beat the best sides in the south.

It's no coincidence that the team most consistently running the southern hemisphere close is France. They chuck the thing around when they have a good day, and it shows. Likewise, New Zealand are so fantastic because they all are confident with the ball and fit as a fiddle so can get around the park effectively. You see nobody with the gym monkey-like aesthetic of James Haskell in New Zealand.

So I don't reckon much needs to be done to adapt up here for us to compete. We need to change the rugby culture a little bit, where playing for penalties at the scrum or ruck isn't the only method of winning the game. I agree the current league situation is a bit of a mess, and I couldn't tell you what the solution is, but I just think people need to be careful before jumping into wholesale changes that could put the game back several years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Big upset from the Scarlets to beat Racing away, the team who drew with them at home. Gutsy play against a team who can't seem to gel despite their deep pockets. Also, John Afoa for front row try of the season against Montpellier?
Reply 5676
Lancaster doesn't know what he's doing! Twelvetrees out of his depth and it was too early for Nowell IMO
Reply 5678
Original post by mattjgoddard
Lancaster doesn't know what he's doing! Twelvetrees out of his depth and it was too early for Nowell IMO

Don't agree that he didn't know what he was doing
I don't think Twelvetrees has had that good a season such that he warrants his place in there. I know England are short of decent centres, but he's been in the middle of a properly useless Gloucester side this year.

Riding off the one performance vs Scotland imo

Quick Reply

Latest