The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Nice work.
Reply 781
bikerx23
That would be me requesting it - y'see...the sports moderators are away, so I decided to ask now so that someone without a football-bias would deal with the request :wink:

Technically I am a football person (I don't understand rugby at all, and don't really plan on trying to understand it either :p:), but it seemed fair to have it as a sticky at least for the duration of the six nations :smile:
Reply 782
Dalimyr
Technically I am a football person (I don't understand rugby at all, and don't really plan on trying to understand it either :p:), but it seemed fair to have it as a sticky at least for the duration of the six nations :smile:

well - you may be a football person, but what with you having set up the 6N vBookies for me, I thought you would be kind enough to recognise there is more than one sport.

And - GET IN THERE YOU ****ING BEAUTIES!!!

Wilkinson - what can you say!
Reply 783
Has anyone else realised that Wilkinson is a god? Watching him in the 2003 final more or less made me take up rugby and play at Fly Half, and i got that same feeling today.
Consie
Has anyone else realised that Wilkinson is a god? Watching him in the 2003 final more or less made me take up rugby and play at Fly Half, and i got that same feeling today.

The amount of people who play at fly-half and think they're Johnny Wilkinson is annoying. So I'll side-step my way across them since I'm a full-back. :p:
Reply 785
I dont think im jonny wilkinson lol, im just saying he inspired me to stick at rugby. I only started playing it in the summer of 03 and i didnt even know there was a rugby world cup that year. Before that i played football just like 90% of all people in Liverpool do. Having us win the world cup reinforced my decision to stay with rugby, and seeing how fun it is at fly half from watching Wilkinson also made me want to stick at Fly Half rather than moving to centre/full back.
Consie
I dont think im jonny wilkinson lol, im just saying he inspired me to stick at rugby. I only started playing it in the summer of 03 and i didnt even know there was a rugby world cup that year. Before that i played football just like 90% of all people in Liverpool do. Having us win the world cup reinforced my decision to stay with rugby, and seeing how fun it is at fly half from watching Wilkinson also made me want to stick at Fly Half rather than moving to centre/full back.

Fair enough. It just annoys me when people play as individuals rather than a team. that's alright though, every time a fly-half who thinks he's Wilko passes to me I'd kick for goal or whatever. :biggrin:
Reply 787
NDGAARONDI
Fair enough. It just annoys me when people play as individuals rather than a team. that's alright though, every time a fly-half who thinks he's Wilko passes to me I'd kick for goal or whatever. :biggrin:

they clearly dont think they're wilkinson if that's how they play then :wink:

As a flanker, my job is to hurt you as much as possible, even if it is highly illegal, as long as no one spots me.
hah.
Topping game today. Unfortunate big D isn't in the mix yet but he will come. Look forward to watching Easterby for Ireland tommorow yah.
Reply 789
I remember when i was getting hounded by a flanker in one match, so i deliberately delayed my kick so he tried to charge it down. I just aimed it striaght into his face and nailed him. :biggrin:
Reply 790
:rolleyes:

While channel-flicking I just saw on BBC News 24 "Johnny Wilkinson has made a fairytale return to the England squad in a victory over Scotland"....I hate to say it, but they were facing Scotland; it's not much of a ****ing challenge to beat the Scottish rugby team :frown:

I said it during the world cup, and I'll say it again: I honestly don't have a problem with England, but the media always talks so much **** to hype them up. Yes, England beat Scotland, and you don't need a crystal ball to know that they're probably going to win next week as well (at which point the media will probably be going orgasmic about how England have won two games in a row and could go all the way or some rubbish like that, but will almost certainly neglect to mention that the two teams they've beaten are the two weakest teams in the tournament)...I just hope Ireland or France beat them so the media will shut the **** up.

bikerx23
well - you may be a football person, but what with you having set up the 6N vBookies for me, I thought you would be kind enough to recognise there is more than one sport.
Oh, of course :smile: Unless it's some pish like fishing (I don't care how much my dad says it is, fishing is NOT a ****ing sport!!!)
I may not follow many sports personally, but I do acknowledge that there are people who follow things other than football :smile:
Dalimyr
:rolleyes:

While channel-flicking I just saw on BBC News 24 "Johnny Wilkinson has made a fairytale return to the England squad in a victory over Scotland"....I hate to say it, but they were facing Scotland; it's not much of a ****ing challenge to beat the Scottish rugby team :frown:

My friend it was a fairytale because of the amount of rugby Wilkinson has played. Have you ever seen a player have such a good game after the amount of rugby he has had recently? Thats the point.

Agreed. Scotland are crap but that side is now more than capable of taking the 6 nations. Hope Matthew Tait gets a run out against the Azzuri instead of Tindall, we need a more elusive runner in the centres.
I do know how you feel, Dalimyr, and what always gets me is how the whole thing is presented from a pro-England perspective, as if they're playing foreign opposition. Even as a Welsh rugby fan, I do (grudgingly) have to admit that England played well yesterday and that Saint Jonny made a great comeback. But HOW that 'try' was awarded is beyond me... :eek:
Reply 793
I said it during the world cup, and I'll say it again: I honestly don't have a problem with England, but the media always talks so much **** to hype them up.

That’s rich coming from a Scot. You're all still taking about Bannockburn
from 700years ago. Remember the pathetic pre-match show at Murrayfield last year? Bunch of idiots running around the pitch in skirts and holding pikes chanting at nothing.

And who cares about the try? It probably shouldn’t have been given. But Wilkinson and Ellis more or less single handedly raped Scotland. I don’t disagree that Scotland are crap, obviously, but I just love it when we put them in their place because Scotland seems to have this totally unfounded arrogance and almost hubristically overestimates itself.
Consie
That’s rich coming from a Scot. You're all still taking about Bannockburn
from 700years ago. Remember the pathetic pre-match show at Murrayfield last year? Bunch of idiots running around the pitch in skirts and holding pikes chanting at nothing.

And who cares about the try? It probably shouldn’t have been given. But Wilkinson and Ellis more or less single handedly raped Scotland. I don’t disagree that Scotland are crap, obviously, but I just love it when we put them in their place because Scotland seems to have this totally unfounded arrogance and almost hubristically overestimates itself.

OK, so it didn't affect the result here, but it could have done. The whole point of a video ref is to eliminate this sort of problem. I'm sure you cared when Ireland beat England last year as a result of several dodgy tries.
Reply 795
Well - some of the reffing calls for ireland vs. england were ones which weren't in the rule book - which is a completely different matter to such a mistake, but it certainly shouldn't have been given - I can't imagine we'll see too much of that TMO from now on :wink:
Reply 796
So now we have a tame moderator, can we break the rules on here?
Reply 797
Ethereal
So now we have a tame moderator, can we break the rules on here?

nope...I've done far too much sweet talking up until now to get us this far...dont take the piss.

What did you think of Englands performance yesterday then?
Reply 798
bikerx23
nope...I've done far too much sweet talking up until now to get us this far...dont take the piss.

What did you think of Englands performance yesterday then?

Better than it has been, but certainly not good enogh to win by the margin they did. It was an all round performance, but could be improved.

I don't think Wilkinson provided the lift the papers are claiming, I think he kicked well but other than that wasn't anything to write home about.

The forwards provided a solid platform, Ellis played a blinder, Tindal had some good running lines, Robinson was kept well under wraps by the scots, Morgan looked promising.

I think they've gone a little too back to forwards inching into the opposition half, forcing a penalty then Wilkinson kicking for goal. I thought it would have been nice to go for touch a few times and have a crack at tries.
Reply 799
Hmm...I think Wilkinson played well - his distribution and vision was pretty good (especially for a guy just back from injury) and him and farrell worked really well together forming some good running lines (I dont think farrell was up to expectation...would've liked to see him running with ball in hand a bit more, but then tindall does that a lot better by looks of it).

Ellis was astounding...was still pissed off at him taking a step occasionally though instead of shipping the pass out to wilkinson, but when he's been such a threat that's good to unsettle defences.

I disagree that they've gone too far back - they did the necessary to secure the game and then had some fun after. I think it's good that they know they have such a platform to work on and can be a little more adventurous and build on that form - a lot of what robinson did was trying to add too much complication before getting the basics of the game right - and they certainly seemed to have those in the right place.

Quick Reply

Latest