The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4820
In first year, do we need our own stethoscope and blood pressure monitor or will some be provided in the clinical skills sessions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ag2012
In first year, do we need our own stethoscope and blood pressure monitor or will some be provided in the clinical skills sessions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are provided! You won't need a stethoscope till 3rd year. You don't want to buy one and then fail either first or second year and be stuck with an expensive stethoscope you never used :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4822
Original post by a moist feeling
They are provided! You won't need a stethoscope till 3rd year. You don't want to buy one and then fail either first or second year and be stuck with an expensive stethoscope you never used :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4823
When can we expect to hear about accommodation? As I'm going into third year I'm not totally gaurenteed and have a thesis to write until the 16th of August, so I'd like to know if/when I should be getting nervous...
Anyone know when freshens week begins?
Reply 4825
just wondering if anyone on the waiting list have heard back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crazy Crouton
Anyone know when freshens week begins?

Sat 14th of Sep marks the move in date and mummies and daddies event for the freshers :smile:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Sat 14th of Sep marks the move in date and mummies and daddies event for the freshers :smile:

I have to go to a wedding that day...will we get parents if we're not at the event? Don't want to be an orphan lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *...smiling away....*
I have to go to a wedding that day...will we get parents if we're not at the event? Don't want to be an orphan lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will get parents, but you will just miss out on the epicness of that night, and also this may be the only time you meet your parents ever. Depends who you get.... :smile:
Original post by a moist feeling
You will get parents, but you will just miss out on the epicness of that night, and also this may be the only time you meet your parents ever. Depends who you get.... :smile:

Oh darn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! Very delayed, but just thought I'd drop by to say hello! I'm one of the (slightly older :colondollar:) BL medics on here - just haven't been on here much this year so haven't posted as much.

Hope you're all excited about starting at the finest medical school in the land and are enjoying your last summer whilst waiting to start! It really, really is the finest school in the land!
Hey, can anyone enlighten on how Barts use the PS for admissions - I'm somewhat confused :smile: I went to the open day and they said the PS is only looked at in interview. But, is the PS read before the interview?
Ps isn't read before interview.
Original post by chocolate_pies
Ps isn't read before interview.

So is it read during the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrumChops
So is it read during the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally minutes before, so they can use it to form questions if they want
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Literally minutes before, so they can use it to form questions if they want

Oh, I see, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4836
Heyy all. I just had a quick question about the DBS form. Does the online id section (that needs to be completed by the 2nd of august) just involve choosing the forms of id that need to be taken to the uni for verification?
Hi all. I'm going into first year in September (5 year course). Which textbooks would you recommend buying? I wasn't planning on buying any but I've come across a place where I can get medical textbooks for 60% of their normal price! Thanks in advance.
Original post by Dreamweaver
Hi all. I'm going into first year in September (5 year course). Which textbooks would you recommend buying? I wasn't planning on buying any but I've come across a place where I can get medical textbooks for 60% of their normal price! Thanks in advance.

I would usually say that you shouldn't buy any book, but if you are getting a huge discount like you are, I would suggest:

This book (although there may be a newer edition out) and this book.

Used both, and they were both really, really useful.

You would be told to buy this book before you start - and its a decent book, just not detailed enough IMO.
Reply 4839
Original post by Medicine Man
I would usually say that you shouldn't buy any book, but if you are getting a huge discount like you are, I would suggest:
This book (although there may be a newer edition out) and this book.

Used both, and they were both really, really useful.

You would be told to buy this book before you start - and its a decent book, just not detailed enough IMO.
Is that because books are available as ebooks or because they're available in the library to borrow? Are these the books recommended by the university?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending