The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Holz888
Wooooooo well done GEP interviewees :elefant:
Nice christmas prezzie hmmmmm?

Looks like they've done (at least some) internationals, are in the middle of GEP, which just leaves.... home undergrads :afraid::eek::woo:

In other news, I just did my nails really nice and christmassy, then ate an orange, missed, and ended up biting off a nails' worth of varnish. Not impressed

lool! I just finished painting my nails too, so I totally understand your frustration :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by itsabanana
Oh no, sorry guys! I'm just a school leaver not a graduate... Sorry for the confusion :frown:

Ah ok no worries!

Original post by manupalace
Thanks :biggrin: it was indeed a very nice Christmas Present. Just want to enjoy Christmas week now (before I start stressing about the interviews:redface:).

Hope all you A100 home applicants hear good news soon! I'm quite surprised you were left until last but it seems your selection criteria are the most complex. I can't wait to see this thread really burst into life! (like last year's thread:colone:)

Yes! Give yourself a break and enjoy Christmas. Yeah, maybe it's a case of leaving the biggest lot 'til last :tongue:
Yeah I love reading all the happy 'interview!' posts when they first come in in massive waves :smile:

Original post by *...smiling away....*
lool! I just finished painting my nails too, so I totally understand your frustration :biggrin:

I think I managed to rescue it! Such an effort, though, why do we bother?
Original post by itsabanana
Nah I have one for 705. :smile: Don't worry you'll get one too!

Are you international? If not, what are your other stats? :smile:
I understand they've not got around to undergrad interviews yet. And they have got around to GEP interviews.

But have any graduates who applied to the UNDERGRAD A100 course heard anything yet?

I scored 694 in my UKCAT, and I know this was good enough for last years cut-off (for people in my boat), but am worried by the seemingly higher cut-offs this year.
Reply 1785
Original post by byebyebadman
I understand they've not got around to undergrad interviews yet. And they have got around to GEP interviews.

But have any graduates who applied to the UNDERGRAD A100 course heard anything yet?

I scored 694 in my UKCAT, and I know this was good enough for last years cut-off (for people in my boat), but am worried by the seemingly higher cut-offs this year.

I'm a grad and applied to both the GEP A101 and the undergrad A100 and I've heard *absolutely* nothing about A100. Not even a "we received your application" email.
Original post by byebyebadman

Hi Byebyebadman,

I'm a grad and I heard back with regards to the undergrad 5 year course. Haven't heard back with regards to the GEP course yet. Last time anyone posted with an interview offer, it was down to 705 ukcat. Really hope it lowers!!! I was told they are hoping to let us know by the end of this week. I can imagine things are pretty hectic in the admissions dept right now! Is the ukcat used as the primary cut-off for GEP or is it a collective ukcat+ucas tariff combo?

I feel your pain - everytime I check my emails I feel a knot in my tummy. Let's keep positive :smile:
Original post by confuzzledvee
Hi Byebyebadman,

I'm a grad and I heard back with regards to the undergrad 5 year course. Haven't heard back with regards to the GEP course yet. Last time anyone posted with an interview offer, it was down to 705 ukcat. Really hope it lowers!!! I was told they are hoping to let us know by the end of this week. I can imagine things are pretty hectic in the admissions dept right now! Is the ukcat used as the primary cut-off for GEP or is it a collective ukcat+ucas tariff combo?

I feel your pain - everytime I check my emails I feel a knot in my tummy. Let's keep positive :smile:

Unsure if I confused you. I am a grad applying SOLELY to the UNDERGRAD course. So I have no idea with regards to the GEP selection.

You say you've heard back with regards to undergrad....what did you hear? Interview? And what's you UKCAT.
Hey byebyebadman

I am also a grad applying solely for the undergrad at barts and have heard nothing from them either!! Im hoping no news is good news :-/ the wait is killing me though!!
Has any home student (undergraduate) received rejection or interview? Thanks.
Reply 1790
Did anyone school leaver call them up recently to ask if they will send us any interviews soon?
Is anyone able to call please? I'm working all week and haven't got their number on me. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1791
Original post by ag2012
Did anyone school leaver call them up recently to ask if they will send us any interviews soon?
Is anyone able to call please? I'm working all week and haven't got their number on me. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

020 7882 8478 is student office
they normally send it in batches next one is probably jan
Reply 1792
How Barts has changed ...
I've just received a rejection from Barts GEP and the reason given was my UKCAT score. I guess the cut off must have increased significantly this year. Really gutted as this was my first choice and the first response I've received this cycle. Sceptical of my chances with Warwick now too.
Reply 1794
I've just received a rejection from Barts GEP and the reason given was my UKCAT score. I guess the cut off must have increased significantly this year. Really gutted as this was my first choice and the first response I've received this cycle. Sceptical of my chances with Warwick now too.

Don't give up hope! :smile:

I'm sorry about that :frown: I think Barts has become a lot more competitive this year for some reason, so don't be too upset. There is deviation from year to year, and I don't think the overall number of applications has gone up by much (although not too sure for GEP), so that means that some schools must be less competitive, so don't lose faith :smile:
Okay this is the reply for the feedback I got from Barts for the school leavers A100 course, and frankly I am quite angry because no matter how many times I asked people said that the UKCAT was just a cutoff, and now I know it's not. The sole reason I applied to Barts was because my UKCAT was low. (628) (All the research I done was for nothing)

Here it is:
RE: Rejection before interview

I appreciate that you are disappointed for not being shortlisted for interview. You will be aware that competition for places on the MB BS programme in Medicine is intense and the quality of the applicant pool extremely high.

In order to select an appropriate number of candidates for interview, we rank applicants according to their combined UKCAT and UCAS tariff scores. Those who achieve the most competitive UKCAT and UCAS tariff scores are considered for interview. The cut-off for the combined UKCAT and UCAS tariff score is determined each year by the performance of candidates and the number of applicants we would like to invite to interview. This year we have considered for interview those applicants for A100 who have achieved UKCAT scores of 3350-2400 and Tariff scores of 1080-460. When combined using our algorithm, which gives each candidate a score based on their position in the rank in both domains which are equally weighted.

Candidates who are in this group are shortlisted if their predicted/current academic grades, personal statement, references and relevant work experience fit with our requirements.

Unfortunately your combined UKCAT/UCAS tariff score did not meet the cut-off and we were unable to consider you for interview.

I am sorry to disappoint you. However if you wish to reapply to us please be aware that you need to retake the UKCAT test. Obviously the higher you score in the UKCAT test and the UCAS tariff point, the more likely you are to be considered for interview. Candidates with scores well below average are unlikely to be shortlisted for an interview.

If you wish to be considered this year for an alternative programme at QMUL you may call on either 0207 882 8734 or 0207 882 8736.

I hope this is of help and should you require anything further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

To future applicants, don't fall into the same trap as I did, the UKCAT is not just a cutoff. I wish I had known that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Okay this is the reply for the feedback I got from Barts for the school leavers A100 course, and frankly I am quite angry because no matter how many times I asked people said that the UKCAT was just a cutoff, and now I know it's not. The sole reason I applied to Barts was because my UKCAT was low. (628) (All the research I done was for nothing)

Here it is:
RE: Rejection before interview

I appreciate that you are disappointed for not being shortlisted for interview. You will be aware that competition for places on the MB BS programme in Medicine is intense and the quality of the applicant pool extremely high.

In order to select an appropriate number of candidates for interview, we rank applicants according to their combined UKCAT and UCAS tariff scores. Those who achieve the most competitive UKCAT and UCAS tariff scores are considered for interview. The cut-off for the combined UKCAT and UCAS tariff score is determined each year by the performance of candidates and the number of applicants we would like to invite to interview. This year we have considered for interview those applicants for A100 who have achieved UKCAT scores of 3350-2400 and Tariff scores of 1080-460. When combined using our algorithm, which gives each candidate a score based on their position in the rank in both domains which are equally weighted.

Candidates who are in this group are shortlisted if their predicted/current academic grades, personal statement, references and relevant work experience fit with our requirements.

Unfortunately your combined UKCAT/UCAS tariff score did not meet the cut-off and we were unable to consider you for interview.

I am sorry to disappoint you. However if you wish to reapply to us please be aware that you need to retake the UKCAT test. Obviously the higher you score in the UKCAT test and the UCAS tariff point, the more likely you are to be considered for interview. Candidates with scores well below average are unlikely to be shortlisted for an interview.

If you wish to be considered this year for an alternative programme at QMUL you may call on either 0207 882 8734 or 0207 882 8736.

I hope this is of help and should you require anything further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

To future applicants, don't fall into the same trap as I did, the UKCAT is not just a cutoff. I wish I had known that.

Can I ask if you're a graduate applying to the undergrad course or a school leaver yourself?
Original post by J1994D
you just dont listen... if you look on other medical schools which have a scoring system (e.g leicester) applicants get a score and there is a cut off, with some below cut off occasionaly interviewed if other areas are amazing.

By all means im not telling people to not apply, but as its so competitive if you dont do 4 A levels anyone with any sense would not apply to barts due to the selection process! PS is pretty much irrelevant to obtain an interview, an amazing ps but 410 ucas points will most likely not get an interview! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO AWAY. 500 is not definitive, and most likely change, BUT last year 500 is there abouts what was needed for interview, if you question this so bad ring them up and theyll tell you, like those on the thread did!!! majority had over 500 with some exceptions. some could mean like 10? (10/800)*100=1%ish, so 99% had above five ****ing hundred!

DONT REPLY IQBAL

I'm only doing 3 A levels, and I've applied, and have a points score over 600. WTH LOLZ?
all things like piano gradings, extra AS levels, EPQs ALL ADD UP. it's unfair for you to say that there's no point in applying with 3 A levels.
you're gonna make a really patient doctor btw lolz.
Reply 1799

So sorry to hear that. Barts is my first choice too.

My UKCAT is lower, so expecting a rejection any day now - I really wish they'd just line up all the names they want to invite, and all those they'll reject and send it all out at once.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending