The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 07/08/2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Haha I wanted to frame mine but I need them soon.

And I too got a bit emotional. It's all the hard work and studying when all your friends are having fun. When those results come through, it's like it was all for something and worth it.
Original post by Bonzo10
Haha I wanted to frame mine but I need them soon.

And I too got a bit emotional. It's all the hard work and studying when all your friends are having fun. When those results come through, it's like it was all for something and worth it.

I couldn't agree more! Still 2 days in I can't believe that I can apply for Medicine now! Jumped around my house far too much :biggrin:
Original post by celticbhoy
a few weeks ago i decided i was better going to my insurance offer rather than my firm. I missed my firm by a grade and managed to meet my insurance conditions but my track hasnt updated as being unsuccessful on my firm choice so now i'm worrying they are still going to offer me a place . if this is the case can i say no to it and instead take up my insurance offer because i didnt actually meet the conditions ?

I've heard that some people have been able to ask for their firm to reject them so that they can go to their insurance instead, but I don't think they have to do it. It would be a good idea to give them a call and see what is going on. :smile:

Original post by anthonyfl
I keep looking at the certificate, it's in a frame now :biggrin:

Nice! ;o

Mine lives in a ring binder under my bed - along with another three years worth of SQA results plus paperwork from volunteering, SAAS and colleges (switching this year after two years at Langside). ^^;
Original post by GremlinFace
Omg me too!! Haha but I'm definitely edging towards something like teaching! The great thing about science degrees is they are quite transferable, so you can even do something totally unrelated!

What did you take this year? I took Adv English, Adv Chem, Higher Biology and Adv RMPS as an extra thing.

Haha, awesome! Yeah, they don't just limit you to a job in a lab or a classroom which is quite good.

I'm taking Adv English, Adv Chem, Adv Maths and crash Bio; although I'll probably drop that because I want to live through 6th year -.-'
Original post by celticbhoy
a few weeks ago i decided i was better going to my insurance offer rather than my firm. I missed my firm by a grade and managed to meet my insurance conditions but my track hasnt updated as being unsuccessful on my firm choice so now i'm worrying they are still going to offer me a place . if this is the case can i say no to it and instead take up my insurance offer because i didnt actually meet the conditions ?

As sinfonietta said, you can ask them to 'reject' you. Track is down until the 16th August now but you should call up your firm university and ask them if they're still making a decision on you. You can easily ask them to reject you as you would rather go to your insurance, or if they said they've already accepted you, ask them to release you so you can go to your insurance. I would maybe call your insurance first just to triple check they'll still accept you even if your firm has originally accepted you.
I'm not Scottish but thought I might pop in to say well done to all on their results!
Reply 1586
Original post by koolkate
That's what i am going to do this year except business instead of bio, so what are you planing to do next year and uni btw what did you get in standard grade?

I'm planning to apply to study medicine for entry in 2013. I think I will be applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee & Aberdeen.
In S6, I will be studying Advanced Higher Chemistry & Biology, Higher French (I miss studying french!) and I'm also doing a YASS course, which is basically a distance-learning Open University Course, where you self-study a particular topic of interest and submit essays, pass or fail. It is supposed to teach you to work very independently and it should be a worthwhile experience. I shall be doing mine on cancers ('Understanding Cancers'), so should be very interesting!

In my Standard Grades, I got eight 1s.

If there's 1 piece of advice I should give you, it is please take 5th year seriously. Remain focused throughout the year, pay attention in class, and really go home every night, make sure you understand what the lesson was about, maybe do some questions, 1 or 2 past paper questions and perhaps even read ahead to be prepared for the next lesson. If you find yourself confused, ASK. Because next lesson, chances are there will probably be some new material taught and there is no time to lose. People keep saying there is a big jump from SG to Higher, which is obviously true but you won't notice the jump if you work hard throughout the year. Technically, if you have picked subjects you enjoy, you will voluntarily study at home painlessly. AIM high and always try to achieve the best! :smile:

I cannot express how great it feels to succeed at this point in my academic life! This feeling of success and happiness is priceless and I am sure you can tell from people's posts how much it means to do well. For those who don't do as well, of course there are other options if things don't go as planned, but trust me, I know people who are experiencing the greatest feeling of regret in their lives because they didn't work hard enough. Don't be foolish and follow in the footsteps of those who 'will study like crazy before the exams'.

How did you do this year? What are you planning to do after leaving school? :smile:
Original post by sinfonietta
Well done! :biggrin:

Thank you!! :biggrin:

Original post by Bonzo10
Well done! Me too. Dentistry here we come!

Yay well done! Aha we've still got a long way to go, buut we can be dental applicant buddies :wink: I finished my work experience today, and I absolutely loved it! It was so interesting to see all the different types of patients and treatments, and they had a dentist there who did implants so I got to see surgery for the implants and the actual insertion of them today :biggrin:

Original post by Maryam A
Well done! :smile: It feels good doesn't it?

thank you!! :smile: it feels great, so unexpected honestly, I never thought I could be that clever :tongue:
I'm planning to apply to study medicine for entry in 2013. I think I will be applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee & Aberdeen.
In S6, I will be studying Advanced Higher Chemistry & Biology, Higher French (I miss studying french!) and I'm also doing a YASS course, which is basically a distance-learning Open University Course, where you self-study a particular topic of interest and submit essays, pass or fail. It is supposed to teach you to work very independently and it should be a worthwhile experience. I shall be doing mine on cancers ('Understanding Cancers'), so should be very interesting!

If there's 1 piece of advice I should give you, it is please take 5th year seriously. Remain focused throughout the year, pay attention in class, and really go home every night, make sure you understand what the lesson was about, maybe do some questions, 1 or 2 past paper questions and perhaps even read ahead to be prepared for the next lesson. If you find yourself confused, ASK. Because next lesson, chances are there will probably be some new material taught and there is no time to lose. People keep saying there is a big jump from SG to Higher, which is obviously true but you won't notice the jump if you work hard throughout the year. Technically, if you have picked subjects you enjoy, you will voluntarily study at home painlessly. AIM high and always try to achieve the best! :smile:

I cannot express how great it feels to succeed at this point in my academic life! This feeling of success and happiness is priceless and I am sure you can tell from people's posts how much it means to do well. For those who don't do as well, of course there are other options if things don't go as planned, but trust me, I know people who are experiencing the greatest feeling of regret in their lives because they didn't work hard enough. Don't be foolish and follow in the footsteps of those who 'will study like crazy before the exams'.

How did you do this year? What are you planning to do after leaving school? :smile:

I'll keep that in mind thanks :wink:. I got a 1 in SG chem,bio,comp,modern st; A in maths and H.E; unfortunately a 2 in eng (my weakest subject) and geo (1 KU and 2 PS) :frown:

In 6th year I am planing to do AH physics, chem and maths IF I pass my exams. And can you plz give me some advice which can help me pass my H eng next year?
Reply 1589
I'll keep that in mind thanks :wink:. I got a 1 in SG chem,bio,comp,modern st; A in maths and H.E; unfortunately a 2 in eng (my weakest subject) and geo (1 KU and 2 PS) :frown:

In 6th year I am planing to do AH physics, chem and maths IF I pass my exams. And can you plz give me some advice which can help me pass my H eng next year?

Well done! That's an EXCELLENT set of results. I mean it. English was always my weakest subject too. In my SG prelims, I got a 3 for my writing :s-smilie: However, a grade 2 English does not mean you can't get an A in Higher English, provided you work. English is a subject, where I feel you can suck at it, work your pants off and do really well. Especially with Higher English.

You need to identify what it is about English you're not good at. For Close Reading, it's just practice, practice, practice. It's very formulaic in that there's a set way of answering each type of question and as you practice loooads and get familiar with all the questions, you just apply the formula. However, of course, if you read then you are at an advantage because having a strong English vocabulary will really help. Writing essays involves a lot of memorisation (of quotations from your texts) and a solid understanding of the plot, characters and themes. If you have a solid understanding and learn the quotes, you have ticked the first box in that you can talk about the text thoroughly, backed with appropriate evidence. Step 2 is analysis, using sophisticated language, flow and thinking. I believe if you master step 1, the next step comes with some studying of the text thoroughly and practising writing essays. English was the hardest subject I took by far and the one which required most work and constant improvement.

It is possible. If you have the determination and the right attitude to work. All the resources are out there, you got a credit grade, you just need to really want to do well. If you have huge doubts about succeeding in English, then just re-think your decision. The night before I handed in my S5 Choice sheet, I really didn't want to take English because I thought I would fail miserably, especially as people kept reminding me of the 'big jump'. I have now come out with an A, like many others on this thread, because we all worked for it.

If you can't be bothered to work hard, DON'T take Higher English. Saying that though, you are probably better at English than you think.
I hated English at SG and really enjoyed it at Higher!

Sorry I keep writing lots. Best of luck in the future :biggrin:
Well done! That's an EXCELLENT set of results. I mean it. English was always my weakest subject too. In my SG prelims, I got a 3 for my writing :s-smilie: However, a grade 2 English does not mean you can't get an A in Higher English, provided you work. English is a subject, where I feel you can suck at it, work your pants off and do really well. Especially with Higher English.

You need to identify what it is about English you're not good at. For Close Reading, it's just practice, practice, practice. It's very formulaic in that there's a set way of answering each type of question and as you practice loooads and get familiar with all the questions, you just apply the formula. However, of course, if you read then you are at an advantage because having a strong English vocabulary will really help. Writing essays involves a lot of memorisation (of quotations from your texts) and a solid understanding of the plot, characters and themes. If you have a solid understanding and learn the quotes, you have ticked the first box in that you can talk about the text thoroughly, backed with appropriate evidence. Step 2 is analysis, using sophisticated language, flow and thinking. I believe if you master step 1, the next step comes with some studying of the text thoroughly and practising writing essays. English was the hardest subject I took by far and the one which required most work and constant improvement.

It is possible. If you have the determination and the right attitude to work. All the resources are out there, you got a credit grade, you just need to really want to do well. If you have huge doubts about succeeding in English, then just re-think your decision. The night before I handed in my S5 Choice sheet, I really didn't want to take English because I thought I would fail miserably, especially as people kept reminding me of the 'big jump'. I have now come out with an A, like many others on this thread, because we all worked for it.

If you can't be bothered to work hard, DON'T take Higher English. Saying that though, you are probably better at English than you think.
I hated English at SG and really enjoyed it at Higher!

Sorry I keep writing lots. Best of luck in the future :biggrin:

If you got a 3 in writing then how did you end up with a 1?
That sounds a bit complicated but I'll study really hard and I hope the same thing happen to me, thanks for your help :smile:
Hi i got an overall 2 for Standard Grade modern studies , 1 for my ku and 3 for my es.My question is will i be able to progress to higher as i got an credit pass at 2. However i went to my school after the results, somehow im still in the higher class, or will it change once school starts. Bearing in mind i have also achieved a credit prelim , 1ku and 1 es

Oh how I'd love to do Medicine ^_^ Quite jealous of all you potential Medics :tongue:, maybe I'll do graduate entry...

I'm going to disagree, while you should most definitely take S5 seriously, theres no need for going overboard on it all. Make sure you don't fall behind, thats important. But there really is no need to study every night. I think the 'study like crazy before the exams' technique works well, especially if you perform well under stress. I'm not suggesting you leave studying til a few nights before the exam, but two months before is in my opinion the best time to start study (15 mins per subject or so) then gradually pick up the pace until the exams.

S4 is kinda like a practise for your Higher's anyway, so you can see how you learn best.
Original post by adykonvict
Hi i got an overall 2 for Standard Grade modern studies , 1 for my ku and 3 for my es.My question is will i be able to progress to higher as i got an credit pass at 2. However i went to my school after the results, somehow im still in the higher class, or will it change once school starts. Bearing in mind i have also achieved a credit prelim , 1ku and 1 es

Depends on your school/teacher.
Reply 1594
If you got a 3 in writing then how did you end up with a 1?
That sounds a bit complicated but I'll study really hard and I hope the same thing happen to me, thanks for your help :smile:

Haha sorry, I did make it sound more complicated than it really is. The point is: it's really not difficult if you are prepared to work. Only you can make such a judgement.

It was my SG prelims that I got a 3 in writing but in the final exam I got a 1.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1595
Original post by TheFOMaster
Oh how I'd love to do Medicine ^_^ Quite jealous of all you potential Medics :tongue:, maybe I'll do graduate entry...

I'm going to disagree, while you should most definitely take S5 seriously, theres no need for going overboard on it all. Make sure you don't fall behind, thats important. But there really is no need to study every night. I think the 'study like crazy before the exams' technique works well, especially if you perform well under stress. I'm not suggesting you leave studying til a few nights before the exam, but two months before is in my opinion the best time to start study (15 mins per subject or so) then gradually pick up the pace until the exams.

S4 is kinda like a practise for your Higher's anyway, so you can see how you learn best.

It is true that everyone is different and has their own learning/revision methods, however in general, I would advise people to go for the safer option of working hard throughout the year. Better safe than sorry.

People have different levels of ability but as a general rule I think everyone should enter S5 with the motivation and determination necessary because although some people will realise that they don't need to do extensive amounts of studying to succeed, there will be others who realise, when it's too late, that they needed to do extensive studying from the start to succeed. In order to avoid such situations, I advise everyone to adopt a mindset of hard work. When I speak to someone I don't know, I have no idea what their level of ability is like and so offer such advice.

My advice is general and I understand where you're coming from, but from personal experience, I believe that diligence in S5 will be of great benefit to the pupil. Not only will it allow him/her to be high achievers, get the most out of school and offer the best they have, but it will also prepare them for university/further education, another big jump ahead.

Note: I equally stress the need of a good social life and the importance of having fun and having a lot of time for yourself. It's all about time management, really.

... Anyway, what are you planning to study?:smile:
The MySQA site reopens today, so you can go on and bask once more in your shiny new results. You should also update any personal details etc you feel you want to, because you know you'll forget to do it if you leave it.
Original post by TheFOMaster

It is true that everyone is different and has their own learning/revision methods, however in general, I would advise people to go for the safer option of working hard throughout the year. Better safe than sorry.

People have different levels of ability but as a general rule I think everyone should enter S5 with the motivation and determination necessary because although some people will realise that they don't need to do extensive amounts of studying to succeed, there will be others who realise, when it's too late, that they needed to do extensive studying from the start to succeed. In order to avoid such situations, I advise everyone to adopt a mindset of hard work. When I speak to someone I don't know, I have no idea what their level of ability is like and so offer such advice.

My advice is general and I understand where you're coming from, but from personal experience, I believe that diligence in S5 will be of great benefit to the pupil. Not only will it allow him/her to be high achievers, get the most out of school and offer the best they have, but it will also prepare them for university/further education, another big jump ahead.

Note: I equally stress the need of a good social life and the importance of having fun and having a lot of time for yourself. It's all about time management, really.

... Anyway, what are you planning to study?:smile:

I found the "study like crazy before the exams" worked fine for me. I didn't start studying until May 4th this year. My exams were on the 8th (philosophy) and the 18th (media) and I'm happy with my results in both. But I don't think I would have done as well on them if I'd left it that late and been taking more than two classes - and I'm assuming most people take at least double that. ^^;

Even so, I regret that I haven't worked consistently hard up until now. Had I done so, I would probably be halfway through uni by now. :tongue:
Reply 1598
Obviously everyone is different, and maybe my subjects just suited me more in S6, but my results would suggest that my studying technique in S6 worked better.

In S5 I started studying after the Christmas holidays and found myself burning out before study leave. I ended up with ABBBC.
In S6 I didn't do any studying throughout the year, apart from for prelims, class tests etc, and doing my homework. I then studied intensely during study leave. I got AAA in my Highers and a B in advanced higher.
Obviously there were other factors too, but what I'm trying to say is that the 'don't stop studying all years' method doesn't work for everyone.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1599
I did none throughout the year and studied each subject a couple days before each exam. I got AAAAC (I'm S5).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending