The Student Room Group

Survivor Jamie Rohrs left wife and 2 kids to die.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Considering no one on this forum has ever been in a shooting like this i fail to see how any of you can judge his actions, what makes you think in the heat of the moment youd react any differently?
Either way its basic survival instinct, if you feel threatened youre going to try and get to safety, youll look out for numero uno. You may not like it but its the general rule, although of course there will be exceptions... either way my point is what exactly gives any of you lot the right to call this man a coward for trying to save his life? you do different and i'll take this back but untill then shame on you.
Original post by ellieHA
He doesn't seem too happy with what he did either... lay off the guy. Unless you were there you can't really judge.

cant imagine many other who were in that cinema saying that "its grand to leave a baby a small child and your intended while you save your yellow hide"

Original post by Freier._.lance
I like how you find it so easy to criticise what he did, but you really don't know how'd you'd react in such a situation, and I hope no one on this thread ever has to find out. I reacted the same way as you the first time I heard, and thought he should have protected his children atleast, but I just don't know anymore.
The man who saved his family is a hero and should be praised as such, he should give everyone something to strive for. Interesting how this story somewhat reflects the incidents in the real batman movie.

So (and not just you but others as well) its ok to judge the guy for his good actions - but not for the bloke who ran out on his family because "we werent there"
What would staying with his family have done? He wouldn't be able to protect them from a man with a gun.
God, can you imagine how that guy's feeling now? Try thinking about that before you judge him. Do you not think he would do anythign to be able to go back to that moment?
Original post by silverbolt

So (and not just you but others as well) its ok to judge the guy for his good actions - but not for the bloke who ran out on his family because "we werent there"

I think it's silly for people to be too critical, because it's a very extreme situation, and it is indeed difficult to know how you would react yourself in such circumstances.
Reply 25
You can't really judge unless you were there or have been in a life threatening situation like that before tbh.
Original post by silverbolt
cant imagine many other who were in that cinema saying that "its grand to leave a baby a small child and your intended while you save your yellow hide"

Being human, we can't help but judge others. What I am saying however is that the man who did the "good deed" should be held up as something to strive for, not the man, but his deeds. The bloke "who ran out on his family" clearly knows what he did was wrong, so why does everyone try and catechise him? No real good can come of it.

It's easy to try and pin-up a scape goat to vent your anger on, isn't it?
Reply 27
We obviously can't imagine what he felt like at that moment. But to all those saying that it was 'basic survival instinct', what about paternal instinct? I think any parent will tell you that the latter outweights the former, and thus to me him abandoning his family is cowardice. Proposing to his partner afterwards on top of it all is just ridiculous, so American. What the hell was she thinking when she said yes??
I'd have left him
Original post by internetguru
What would staying with his family have done? He wouldn't be able to protect them from a man with a gun.

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981488017
Reply 30
People do all sorts of crazy things under stress/terror and while he has been made out to be this awful terrible person no one knows how they would react in a situation like that until it happens. He is probably torn up with guilt and will be for the rest of his life, isn't that punishment enough?

The story doesn't really explain what he did how did he end up getting shot and manage to get them all out and survive? Surely the killer would see them and shoot them all to death?
If you were in a car, and you were going to hit a tree- the natural instinct is to protect yourself- and swerve so the passenger hits the tree...
Reply 33
Everyone saying "omg but u dunno how u act in dat situation" - it doesn't matter, it's not a comparison between each poster and the man in question. Maybe in that situation I'd do what he did as well, who knows? But that wouldn't stop me/him thereby being a total pussy or mean that he behaved bravely.
Original post by Freier._.lance
Being human, we can't help but judge others. What I am saying however is that the man who did the "good deed" should be held up as something to strive for, not the man, but his deeds. The bloke "who ran out on his family" clearly knows what he did was wrong, so why does everyone try and catechise him? No real good can come of it.

It's easy to try and pin-up a scape goat to vent your anger on, isn't it?

by the same arguement the guy speeding at 100 miles per hour knows hes doing wrong so why give him a ticket? Or penalty points?

And why admire nelson mandella? Or Ghandi? Or mother teresa? What they did was grand and all that but the person nah..............

and no matter who you judge it doesnt change the fact that one guys acts were heroic the others were cowardly
(edited 11 years ago)
Why does she look embarrassed and ashamed the whole way through the interview, yet say yes to his proposal? Shock?

But she still got shot, as did the guy who was helping her. (Or did I misread?)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But she still got shot, as did the guy who was helping her. (Or did I misread?)

True. I think it was that he chose to stay with her and guide her (and I think one of her children) out rather that running out like a pussy then crying about it.
In all honesty it's fundamental human nature to fend for oneself and ensure one's own survival no matter what the circumstances. You can bring in concepts of integrity, love and loyalty but when it comes down to it we are all just fighting our own battle to survive - whether that's running away and leaving your wife/kids in danger, or ignoring the plight of starving kids in Africa while you sit and eat your dinner. There are varying degrees of selfishness in the world but ultimately it is human nature to be that way. If you don't like that then you don't like human nature - your anger really ought to be directed at mankind, not a man.
Reply 39
Although I think that he should have tried to save his family, you really shouldn't underestimate the instinct to just escape in a situation like that. Your first instinct is to run.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending