The Student Room Group

MD's and PhD's Question

Just wondering if anyone can clear up a query. I've been told by some people that to become a consultant in a lot of specialities you need an MD or PhD in a relevant area. Is this true?
Definitely not true on the "in a lot of specialities" bit. I've heard a rumour going round that some surgical specialities like you to have a doctorate to become a consultant, but I think that's either unfounded or misconstrued. Playing an active role in specialty-specific research definitely aids your career progression and allows you to stand out, and is highly desirable and recommended by the Colleges, but having a doctorate certainly isn't for vast (if not all) range of specialties out there.
Reply 2
Defo not true

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
True in a limited sense.

Selection into some specialties becomes more difficult every year with the main problems arising at entry into ST3 and then afterwards for consultant jobs.

You know as well as I do all the things you need to maximise your chances of selection at each stage. Clinical experience (e.g. a logbook), exams, distinctions, prizes, papers, presentations, evidence of teaching, interview performance, and degrees. If you score full marks in every other domain then perhaps you don't need a higher research degree. The same is true if you want to do something uncompetitive or somewhere that is under-subscribed.

If you want to do something competitive (e.g. the surgical specialties, cardiology, etc) then the likelihood is that you will do something else before landing a consultant post.

Many people find themselves doing a period of research (hopefully then leading to a higher degree) at some point when they are out of the job market. Others elect to take take out with a view to maximising their chances later on.

The general rule is/was that a MD is sufficient as evidence of research activity as a general clinician. A PhD is the entry level qualification expected of a clinical academic (an MD no longer being sufficient).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending