Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wider Reading

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying for music at Oxford and was wondering what books I'm most recommended to read.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    'The Lonely Goatherd' is your best bet for this query, but I believe her usual recommendation is "Steps" Gold: Our Greatest Hits - The Official Book

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    x
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    'The Lonely Goatherd' is your best bet for this query, but I believe her usual recommendation is "Steps" Gold: Our Greatest Hits - The Official Book
    :rofl:

PRSOM :sad:

OP: the best thing by far to read is Nicholas Cook's Music. A Very Short Introduction (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998). This will give you an idea of general issues in musicology, which is a big thing at Oxford. Don't worry if you don't understand it though: it took me three goes

If you have gaps in your general knowledge, you may like to fill them by reading A History of Western Music by Grout, Palisca and someone else I can't remember :p: That's not so important though.

Whatever you end up reading, make sure you a) read the whole thing, and b) re-read it before the interview :yes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!!
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.