The Student Room Group

How to choose SSCs?

I'm coming up to choosing my 3 SSCs and what I want to do on elective, which I'm going to split into two blocks. So, at least 5 different areas to choose.

Just wondering if people chose based on things they haven't covered much, what they want to do as a career, etc.

I'm definitely doing 1 or 2 based on possible career choices but not sure what to do with the rest. What would be "useful" for my foundation years? I know everything is good preparation for F1/F2 but specifically something with lots of procedures maybe? Or more histories etc?

Thank you.
I was talking to an F2 about this the other day, she said that probably the most useful SSC she could have done would have been something to do with renal medicine. It's an important topic and apparently not taught anywhere enough at medical school. She said radiology would probably be pretty useful as well.

I'm trying to decide on mine at the moment as well but i just can't bring myself to pick something like radiology that i don't think i'll enjoy just because it may be useful in the long run. I'm lining up my 3 as Haematology, Paeds and something i'm unlikely to get a chance to do again like Ambulance/Drug Rehab/Medical History.
Noooo. Choose SSC's your interested in. With my first SSC i had to change it at last minute and I HATED it. The entire time i was expected to know everything about three vaguely related specialities!! I did not get on with my supervisor is the undertatement of the century.
Reply 3
You could pick something that you know will help improve a skill. An example is someone I heard of that picked an SSC that in that short space of time they did more cannulations than throughout the whole year
Reply 4
Choose something that is poorly covered by your course/ something that interests you/ something hard.

I chose the follwwing SSCs for next year.

1 of Emergency Department, Everything you want to know about neurology, Critical Care - The intensivist as the hospital GP and Anatomy at autopsy.

and 1 of Vascular Surgery, Life on the edge (MAU), The role of surgery in the management of jaundice and Impact of enhanced recovery and laparoscopic surgery on colorectal cancer patient's recovery.

As well as the compulsory Management SSC.
Crap forgot I have to select mine for next year!

Very unsure as to go for the apothecaries module (history of medicine), I mean I'd get a nice little diploma but it's supposed to be bloody hard work and will go on all year despite only being worth one in 4th year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending