The Student Room Group

Girls - Why you shouldn't use scales

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LittleDD
Yeah I do agree with you =). I know most people who try to have low weight there body can't cope with it. I don't under why people wish to be so skinny. I no I'm underweight and healthy ( had load off tests done ) But I would kill to be normal weight. I am trying!

Yeah :smile: It's a shame that skinny has gotten so trendy. It does ruin people's lives. Obesity is a huge problem but even suggesting that everyone who doesn't have the bf% of an athlete is near obese is ridiculous. We need more people like you with a decent outlook on what is a healthy weight!
Original post by Holz888
Yeah :smile: It's a shame that skinny has gotten so trendy. It does ruin people's lives. Obesity is a huge problem but even suggesting that everyone who doesn't have the bf% of an athlete is near obese is ridiculous. We need more people like you with a decent outlook on what is a healthy weight!

No one at any point suggested this. No one at any point said she is fat as in overweight just that she has fat, which in undeniable. Equally no has said that she is unhealthy or has 'too much' fat or should lose weight - actually the opposite.

And regardless, being skinny isn't anywhere near as trendy as it was years ago or so; you'll find most articles aimed at females these days are actually discouraging exercise and promoting a liberal attitude to food. Plus obesity is still much more significant of a problem if we're talking about number.

The message of this thread isn't actually contradictory to promoting a healthy body weight for girls.
Original post by Nomes89
No one at any point suggested this. No one at any point said she is fat as in overweight just that she has fat, which in undeniable. Equally no has said that she is unhealthy or has 'too much' fat or should lose weight - actually the opposite.

Saying that she has a "giant layer of fat over everything" certainly does suggest the poster thought the girl was overweight and that she has too much fat.
Now, from other posts it is clear what was trying to be said, but that line itself certainly does suggest what has been said by a few of us.
Reply 83
I'm not saying the girl on the left is unhealthy or fat...but she looks like crap due to having minimal muscle and too much fat, her shape is horrid. Wouldn't even take much effort to rectify.
Original post by Nomes89

"giant layer of fat" suggests that she has too much fat. I'm not saying that the picture suggests she is unhealthy, just that more muscle equals higher health and that is not true. It says that health cannot be measured with muscle, which is true, but then goes on to suggest that health can be measured by muscle and body fat percentage, which is totally not true and sends a bad message.

Original post by Nomes89

And regardless, being skinny isn't anywhere near as trendy as it was years ago or so; you'll find most articles aimed at females these days are actually discouraging exercise and promoting a liberal attitude to food. Plus obesity is still much more significant of a problem if we're talking about number.

I disagree with this. Attempts have been good, but attitudes haven't changed positively, in fact there is some evidence to suggest they are getting worse.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/10/body-image-anxiety-eva-wiseman
Yes, obesity is a bigger problem but it's not the only problem, and that needs to be recognised. The fact that primary school aged girls are on diets, 7 year olds are diagnosed with anorexia needs to be seen as something to address too.

Original post by Nomes89

The message of this thread isn't actually contradictory to promoting a healthy body weight for girls.

No, I understand that the aim is to say that fat percentage cannot be measured with scales (unless you have some cool ones like mine that send a little electric shock or something?), but I've see that image around and it irritates me every time.
Reply 85
Original post by WelshBluebird
Saying that she has a "giant layer of fat over everything" certainly does suggest the poster thought the girl was overweight and that she has too much fat.
Now, from other posts it is clear what was trying to be said, but that line itself certainly does suggest what has been said by a few of us.

But she does have a "giant layer of fat over everything".

It's sad that having a bit of muscle is looked down upon, though. Also, people may "look" healthy, but it does not mean they are.
Original post by desijut
But she does have a "giant layer of fat over everything".

But she doesn't. She has a little bit of fat on her body.
There is no way at all you can say she has "a giant layer of fat over everything". There is just no way.

Original post by desijut

It's sad that having a bit of muscle is looked down upon, though. Also, people may "look" healthy, but it does not mean they are.

It's sad that having a small bit of fat is looked down upon despite the fact it is perfectly healthy.
Reply 87
But she doesn't. She has a little bit of fat on her body.
There is no way at all you can say she has "a giant layer of fat over everything". There is just no way.

It's sad that having a small bit of fat is looked down upon despite the fact it is perfectly healthy.

It's actually quite substantial, but I didnt say it was bad or look down upon it. People in this thread have criticized the Right hand pic when there was no need for it, an even no provocation
Original post by desijut
It's actually quite substantial, but I didnt say it was bad or look down upon it. People in this thread have criticized the Right hand pic when there was no need for it, an even no provocation

It really isn't substantial at all. No wonder why people get eating disorders. And god knows what you would make of someone who is actually fat.
As for the right hand picture, quite simply in my view women should look like women. Not like slightly feminine versions of men.
Correct OP, after watching a series called 'the men who made us fat' on BBC I was enlightened a little.

It is the fat around our internal organs that we need to try to keep in control. They did a type of ultrasound test on the guy who was fairly slim and he had quite a bit of fat surrounding his liver.

Like you say weight is not really a good sign of health, neither is muscle mass according to my interpretation of that series.

Interesting watch if anyone is interested.
Original post by Holz888
"giant layer of fat" suggests that she has too much fat. I'm not saying that the picture suggests she is unhealthy, just that more muscle equals higher health and that is not true. It says that health cannot be measured with muscle, which is true, but then goes on to suggest that health can be measured by muscle and body fat percentage, which is totally not true and sends a bad message.

One person has said it and again, she herself has already re-iterated that she isn't overly fat. It isn't the tone of the overall thread. Once again I feel the need to repeat that no one is saying she is unhealthy although many girls can have an unhealthy lifestyle and still look like the girl on the left whereas it is not possible to look like the one of the right without having a significant degree of fitness and good diet.

I disagree with this. Attempts have been good, but attitudes haven't changed positively, in fact there is some evidence to suggest they are getting worse.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/10/body-image-anxiety-eva-wiseman
Yes, obesity is a bigger problem but it's not the only problem, and that needs to be recognised. The fact that primary school aged girls are on diets, 7 year olds are diagnosed with anorexia needs to be seen as something to address too.

Well attitudes have changed amongst the mainstream and like I said - which is important - is that media has been heavily promoting this message of accepting 'curves' and 'relaxing' eating habits; the extremes on the other side will always exist to an extent. Also I'm not sure eating disorders at a young age is something new.

No, I understand that the aim is to say that fat percentage cannot be measured with scales (unless you have some cool ones like mine that send a little electric shock or something?), but I've see that image around and it irritates me every time.

I understand what you're saying but the message of the thread is being obscured by various other arguments.

I agree saying she has a giant layer of fat is excessive. Suffice to say she just has no muscle tone which arguably isn't as aesthetically pleasing as having some. It's also worth remembering that women are often the worst critics of their own bodies; most girls complain about muffin top and scrutinise other women's bodies. That is why many women wants to be slim and slender despite hearing from guys that they like curves. Eating disorders don't come from forums threads like these.
Reply 92
So what actually is the best sign of good health then?
Original post by lilabs
So what actually is the best sign of good health then?

Not being ill much, being able to walk around freely without being out of breath, low density blood tryglicerides etc etc.

A mixture of the definitions of good and health.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
I am 5 ft 2 have a visceral fat percentage of 5% and body fat percentage of 19% and weigh 60kg.
The scales mean little to me, my preferred method of judgement is the mirror.
Reply 95
I consider myself to be fairly fit, I eat well and go to the gym 3 times a week. I am happy with my body and have always tried to maintain my curves (in the right places). At the end of the day I get annoyed at people who have a go at other people for saying "your obese you should lose weight" etc but they themselves have a go at people who go gym and say "you are vain" or "you are too thin". Nobody should feel the right to judge anyone and if that person is happy being stick thin or being really curvy then why should anyone have a problem?
Girl on the left is how old?

Women in their 20s who have that body are the types of women who cannot control their weight past the age of 28. They have little to no clue on nutrition and exercise.

This all leads to being a woman who very rarely attracts men unless they're online but online sex sites aint really a measure of a womans chances.

Just a measure of a mans desperation.
Reply 97
Lol what a retarded thread. Who uses scales to compare themselves to other similarly weighing people?

Scales are 100% useful because you can track how much your weight is fluctuating PERSONALLY, which will give you a good indicator of how you should change your calories. If your losing weight in the scale you are becoming leaner (dropping bf%) so your point is invalid.
Original post by Jonnyy
Lol what a retarded thread. Who uses scales to compare themselves to other similarly weighing people?

Scales are 100% useful because you can track how much your weight is fluctuating PERSONALLY, which will give you a good indicator of how you should change your calories. If your losing weight in the scale you are becoming leaner (dropping bf%) so your point is invalid.

This is not always the case, hence the thread. Two years ago I was a whole 7lbs lighter but I'm in much better shape (emphasis on the word shape) now.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Girl on the left is how old?

Women in their 20s who have that body are the types of women who cannot control their weight past the age of 28. They have little to no clue on nutrition and exercise.

This all leads to being a woman who very rarely attracts men unless they're online but online sex sites aint really a measure of a womans chances.

Just a measure of a mans desperation.

You over-estimate the standards of the majority of men, especially those who don't work out.

Quick Reply

Latest