The Student Room Group

The University of Aberdeen MB ChB Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'd have come along with my zimmer frame to make you feel younger but all those young'uns beat me to the open day booking page!
Reply 41
I am definitely applying to Aberdeen, I went to the open day and loved it. I live locally so it has always really been my first choice.

One question for those current students, how many hours of lectures/tutorials a week do you do in 1st year, is it all day every day, or is there some free time for self study?
Would love to come to Aberdeen! Definitely one of my final four. I'm from Birmingham, (West Midlands) so it's quite a bit to travel, but from what I hear of Aberdeen as a university, I'd take that offer any day!

Heres a question: What kind of 'buzz' does Aberdeen as a city have to it? E.G Cambridge has an old school, quiet, university-central-to-the-city buzz to it, where everyone is riding bikes and being offered boat trips down the canal by ridiculously good looking men, wheras Birmingham has quite a different city buzz to it, there's always stuff going on in the centre, you go through some areas which are utter chaos, other bits which are like stabcity, filled with ma homies (south-asians :wink:) but the bit where the university is, is completely different, all cosmopoliton and gorgeous.
Reply 43
Original post by ameelia22
Would love to come to Aberdeen! Definitely one of my final four. I'm from Birmingham, (West Midlands) so it's quite a bit to travel, but from what I hear of Aberdeen as a university, I'd take that offer any day!

Heres a question: What kind of 'buzz' does Aberdeen as a city have to it? E.G Cambridge has an old school, quiet, university-central-to-the-city buzz to it, where everyone is riding bikes and being offered boat trips down the canal by ridiculously good looking men, wheras Birmingham has quite a different city buzz to it, there's always stuff going on in the centre, you go through some areas which are utter chaos, other bits which are like stabcity, filled with ma homies (south-asians :wink:) but the bit where the university is, is completely different, all cosmopoliton and gorgeous.

Well medics aren't really based at the main campus (Old Aberdeen), they're based at Foresterhill Campus.

I would say that Aberdeen as a city doesn't have much in the way of buzz. Cold, wet, and windy for most of the year... I wouldn't use buzz in any sense to describe Aberdeen tbh, but perhaps I've been here too long. It's your circle of friends that are going to make or break your impression of Aberdeen imo.

Heres a question: What kind of 'buzz' does Aberdeen as a city have to it?

Original post by Zedd
Well medics aren't really based at the main campus (Old Aberdeen), they're based at Foresterhill Campus.

I would say that Aberdeen as a city doesn't have much in the way of buzz. Cold, wet, and windy for most of the year... I wouldn't use buzz in any sense to describe Aberdeen tbh, but perhaps I've been here too long. It's your circle of friends that are going to make or break your impression of Aberdeen imo.

Well we won't be letting Zed write the prospectus anytime soon :tongue:

Seriously though, Aberdeen itself is an industrial city in a relatively out of the way place. It is as far away from cosmopolitan as it is possible to get in my honest opinion, Edinburgh and Glasgow have far more 'culture' going on. There is so much money in Aberdeen it is ridiculous but unfortunately you don't see any evidence of it. There is a lot to see and do it is simply very difficult to find...the oil industry has meant that the city can easily afford not to invest in tourism at all. The city centre is in need of some TLC on the visual side shall we say. (I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to put you in the picture :smile: )

Aberdeen does have a relatively high student population with two large universities and the night life is very good in my opinion. Everything you need is within walking distance which you certainly don't get in larger cities where clubs etc are spread all over.

Despite this, Old Aberdeen and Kings is a very nice area. Lots of cobbled streets, nice buildings and stupid greens where people sit and play guitar just to look like the prospectus photos. As Zedd has said, most of your time as a medic will be spent at Foresterhill which is a huge hospital and so not much to look at :tongue:

You really need to come and see for yourself. First impressions are generally grim but after a while you learn to love it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ClaireC31
I am definitely applying to Aberdeen, I went to the open day and loved it. I live locally so it has always really been my first choice.

One question for those current students, how many hours of lectures/tutorials a week do you do in 1st year, is it all day every day, or is there some free time for self study?

Aberdeen's course is quite lecture heavy, especially in the first six months of first year. Most days will be 9-3 lectures (with hour breaks) some 9-5. Once you get into systems after Christmas the timetable is a bit more structured. Lectures usually 9-1 and then either anatomy or clinical skills in the afternoon (2hr sessions). You get every Wednesday afternoon off for sport or whatever and you will occasionally get half days or even whole days off throughout the first few years depending on your group for clinical and anatomy. If you use the free time throughout the day to write up lectures you will make life a lot easier for yourself and still have the evenings free :smile:

I have attached an example week from the first year timetable, bear in mind you would only be doing one Foundations of Clinical Method session per afternoon.

Capture.JPG
Reply 46
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Aberdeen's course is quite lecture heavy, especially in the first six months of first year. Most days will be 9-3 lectures (with hour breaks) some 9-5. Once you get into systems after Christmas the timetable is a bit more structured. Lectures usually 9-1 and then either anatomy or clinical skills in the afternoon (2hr sessions). You get every Wednesday afternoon off for sport or whatever and you will occasionally get half days or even whole days off throughout the first few years depending on your group for clinical and anatomy. If you use the free time throughout the day to write up lectures you will make life a lot easier for yourself and still have the evenings free :smile:

I have attached an example week from the first year timetable, bear in mind you would only be doing one Foundations of Clinical Method session per afternoon.

Capture.JPG

Ah great, thanks very much. Thats sort of what I thought it would be like. Forgot to ask at the open day, haha.
Well we won't be letting Zed write the prospectus anytime soon :tongue:

Seriously though, Aberdeen itself is an industrial city in a relatively out of the way place. It is as far away from cosmopolitan as it is possible to get in my honest opinion, Edinburgh and Glasgow have far more 'culture' going on. There is so much money in Aberdeen it is ridiculous but unfortunately you don't see any evidence of it. There is a lot to see and do it is simply very difficult to find...the oil industry has meant that the city can easily afford not to invest in tourism at all. The city centre is in need of some TLC on the visual side shall we say. (I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to put you in the picture :smile: )

Aberdeen does have a relatively high student population with two large universities and the night life is very good in my opinion. Everything you need is within walking distance which you certainly don't get in larger cities where clubs etc are spread all over.

Despite this, Old Aberdeen and Kings is a very nice area. Lots of cobbled streets and nice buildings but as Zedd has said most of your time as a medic will be spent at Foresterhill which is a huge hospital and so not much to look at :tongue:

You really need to come and see for yourself. First impressions are generally grim but after a while you learn to love it :smile:

Well that's...interesting! You mentioned about it being quite lecture heavy - are these lectures, in your opinion, good? Is the teaching good overall?
Well that's...interesting! You mentioned about it being quite lecture heavy - are these lectures, in your opinion, good? Is the teaching good overall?

I fear I may have put you off :tongue: I quite like the city but am under no illusions as to how it compares to Cambridge.

It is impossible for me to give any objective opinion...I have never attended medical lectures at another university so how do I compare? :s-smilie: The majority of lectures are good, but obviously some lecturers are better than others. I think the lectures are one of Aberdeen's strengths, you can be sure that nothing will come up in an exam which has not been covered. Other areas of the curriculum such as anatomy could be better but, after chatting to my friends at universities who teach anatomy differently, I have realised that all students hate anatomy and generally wish it were better.

The downside of lectures is that you have to find your own way of converting the info into notes...but then again the downside of less plenary heavy courses is that you risk missing info which is not taught explicitly.

Of course the current students have reservations about some things but the truth is no university has 'bad teaching'. The GMC wouldn't be too happy if the teaching wasn't appropriate. Often problems arise because the method of teaching doesn't work for you as the individual...I like the teaching...you may hate it...worries about course structure are frankly irrelevant as there is no way to predict what will work for you till you do it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Here is a copy of a post I put in the 'Pros & Cons' thread. It sums up what I am trying to say :tongue:

When I applied to university I didn't really have a clear idea where I wanted to go. Having visited each of the universities which offer medicine, I began to notice a difference between the larger, more 'elite' institutions (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and the smaller ones (Dundee and Aberdeen). The latter two were a lot more encouraging.

My interview experience concreted this impression. At Glasgow I felt extremely intimidated by the staff and the whole environment, whereas Aberdeen was welcoming and friendly even when asking difficult questions. In the end the friendliness of the staff and the fact that Aberdeen felt more homely was the reason I turned down my Glasgow offer.

If you look at the University of Aberdeen as a whole, it is not as big or shiny as Edinburgh or Glasgow. However, the quality of teaching and the medical school's reputation within the profession are both excellent. I have listed below a few observations about the course in the past two years:

Pros

All students are allocated a Regent when they start. This is either a Consultant Clinician or Senior Academic who acts not only as an impartial academic advisor but also as emotional support and careers guide throughout your time at medical school.

Students are taught in systems. We do anatomy and physiology of each system (e.g cardiovascular, respiratory) and then pathology, clinical treatment and pharmacology.

Clinical skills from the first year. Starting from the basics of history taking and examination, all the time interacting with volunteer patients and then real patients on weekly ward sessions.

Staff and students are all fantastically friendly. We are a slightly smaller medical school with around 185 students in each year group. As such you get to know people quite quickly and develop your own group of mates.

Though the medical school is a trek away, once you get there the facilities at the Suttie Centre are extremely modern and functional. Access to 1000+ patient beds directly across the road. The Aberdeen Royal Infirmary+Royal Aberdeen Childrens'+Aberdeen Maternity Hospital site at Foresterhill offers every specialty and clinical procedure under the sun.

Nearly all your tutorials involve clinicians teaching you or supervising you. This makes the whole thing more real and gives you the chance to find out directly how they use the knowledge.

The MedSoc organize great social events such as beerienteering which are always well attended and rather epic fun.

Cons

Anatomy sessions can be difficult to follow. Prosection is an effective method of teaching, it is simply the learning outcomes that could be a lot clearer.

Throughout the first three years of the course, the Community Course runs. Students spend around 3hrs each week being taught in GPs surgeries. Here they learn about Primary Care and public health. The content is very interesting but the assessment method means that it is nigh impossible to fail and as such many students cannot be bothered making an effort.

First year can seem rather disjointed at times. Course is still very new and is being tweaked every year. They add in seemingly random seminars and lectures which, though interesting, don't really flow well into the course.

The medical school is at least 30 minutes walk away from all student halls in the city.

I do not regret coming to Aberdeen for one minute. The course is respected, the university is held in high regard by the profession, the community links are far better than any other Scottish uni. I hope that was of some use to you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
I do not [regret] coming to Aberdeen for one minute.

I think in addition to my less than shining review of Aberdeen that even despite that I don't regret the decision to come here for my first degree at all and I'd be very happy to get into the university's medical school and spend another five years here. Just be aware that this is not a big or cultured city at all. It's 'the oil capital of Europe' and aside from the two universities brightening up the place I'd say that's about all Aberdeen amounts to.
I fear I may have put you off :tongue: I quite like the city but am under no illusions as to how it compares to Cambridge.

It is impossible for me to give any objective opinion...I have never attended medical lectures at another university so how do I compare? :s-smilie: The majority of lectures are good, but obviously some lecturers are better than others. I think the lectures are one of Aberdeen's strengths, you can be sure that nothing will come up in an exam which has not been covered. Other areas of the curriculum such as anatomy could be better but, after chatting to my friends at universities who teach anatomy differently, I have realised that all students hate anatomy and generally wish it were better.

The downside of lectures is that you have to find your own way of converting the info into notes...but then again the downside of less plenary heavy courses is that you risk missing info which is not taught explicitly.

Of course the current students have reservations about some things but the truth is no university has 'bad teaching'. The GMC wouldn't be too happy if the teaching wasn't appropriate. Often problems arise because the method of teaching doesn't work for you as the individual...I like the teaching...you may hate it...worries about course structure are frankly irrelevant as there is no way to predict what will work for you till you do it.

Thank you very very much - appreciate the opinion. That's quite important for me, to at least know the anything in the examination has been covered. It would piss me off no end if I hadn't been given enough information on something that would inevitably come up in the exam.

Original post by Zedd
I think in addition to my less than shining review of Aberdeen that even despite that I don't regret the decision to come here for my first degree at all and I'd be very happy to get into the university's medical school and spend another five years here. Just be aware that this is not a big or cultured city at all. It's 'the oil capital of Europe' and aside from the two universities brightening up the place I'd say that's about all Aberdeen amounts to.

Good lord....
Good lord....

If you like the sound of the course and the university then the city doesn't matter in my opinion....thousands go to Dundee every year :rolleyes: If you find yourself in the luxurious position of having a choice of offer then worry about it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zedd

Agreed
Reply 54
If you like the sound of the course and the university then the city doesn't matter in my opinion....thousands go to Dundee every year :rolleyes:

lmao :rofl:
Original post by Zedd
lmao :rofl:

I've never understood that emoticon, i've always thought it meant, ****er (I saw the hand movement, and the towel...)- but looking at the code now, it's meant to be rofl?!
If you like the sound of the course and the university then the city doesn't matter in my opinion....thousands go to Dundee every year :rolleyes: If you find yourself in the luxurious position of having a choice of offer then worry about it :smile:

:unimpressed: Dundee's not that bad!

that said I cannot wait to leave :colondollar:
Reply 57
Just for the record I love all of the cities of Scotland equally :smile:

It's just that I love some more equally than others :tongue: Although, in terms of medical schools I'd be pretty ecstatic about going to any of them!
Reply 58
How are Aberdeen with the UKCAT? Say I get a score which is really really bad like 500, but achieve the required requirements would I still have a chance?
Reply 59
Original post by king101
How are Aberdeen with the UKCAT? Say I get a score which is really really bad like 500, but achieve the required requirements would I still have a chance?

1) Don't think negatively. The UKCAT is much easier than all of the practice material.
2) I don't think anyone with a score below ~600 was given an offer last year (I think I read that somewhere either on their own website or in the studentroom medicine wiki page)

So no, you probably wouldn't get in. I think its less to do with an emphasis on the UKCAT (it only counts as 8%) but more to do with the fact that the kind of candidates that they are looking for naturally do well in the UKCAT. However, they do weigh it the least out of the Scottish schools so it would surely be your best bet if you had an otherwise great application.

Perhaps one of the current meds can give better advice though? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending